3g In Thailand

Mangkud

I plan to buy a pocket PC. I heard something about the coming of third generation (3g) technology for mobile devices here in Thailand. Would that be the UMTS standard?

If it's really gonna be faster, I think I wanna wait. But when is the sysytem going to be installed in Thailand? Are 3g capable devices already available here? If so, does anyone have model names?

Sorry, if this a double post. When I try to use the forum's search function I often can't open the found links. When I click on the links there is a 70% chance that I will be dereffered to another site.

Edited by Mangkud

3G capable devices are indeed available in Thailand, there are many Nokia models (6630, 6680, just to name some of the oldest), Windows Mobile phones (like the Dopod 838 Pro) and the list goes on...

Honestly, if I were you I'd get a 3G device with EDGE support (like the Dopod I just mentioned). This way, you can be prepared for 3G in Thailand (which is likely to be UMTS, but still a looooooong way away, since not even licenses have been yet granted to the main operators) yet still be able to use the fastest data speed available at the moment, which is EDGE (on DTAC or true move).

Guest Reimar

According to K. Saksith Sasibutra from NTC Thailand (National Telecommunications Comission) G3 will be available end of the first half of this year.

Most probably the first commercial available 3G services will be offered by CAT/Hutch.

They have been (or are) testing in Phuket, with reports coming in that speeds of over 1 mbps are reached!

It will however not be the UMTS standard but the CDMA Ev-Do standard.

They plan to roll out the service in 2007, but AFAIK the only thing they are waiting for is the licence....

Hmm...how's Hutch's network outside the major metropolitan areas? For quite a while they were severely lacking in that regard...also, being a CDMA network, if you have a Hutch phone in Thailand, Thailand is the only place you can use it, no SIM-swapping capabilities exist :o

Coverage is actually quite good, but only for phonecalls!

Currently the internet access ( the 150 kbps standard cdma) is only offered where Hutch has coverage, the rest is covered by CAT, which only offers phone service.

Since it's CAT which will offer the Ev-Do, coverage will eventually be pretty good...

The fast internet doesn't come through a phone though, for that you need a special "aircard" to be plugged into your laptop.

Guest Reimar

What K. Saksit Sasibutra at NTC was talking about was real G3 and not high speed CDMA.

The speed he was talking about was above 4 Mbps. But the problem just may is the TOT because K. S.S. was telling that TOT want to charge Baht 4.00 per connection and NTC will not issue a license is the cost will be above max Baht 1.50 per connection.

At the same meeting K. S.S. also talked about a "new" connection for the "normal" Internet via Malaysia by installing a new Fibre Optic Line to Malaysia and reach the international Gateway ther. This for to break the monopol of CAT and get the cost down by much better connection speeds!

All of the above mentioned should be happens within this year 2007, so e have twait what will going on!