Someone please tell me what is going on here

janclaes47

As I think it's time for a lawsuit.

I have problems with 3BB for quite some time, and it doesn't get better

Recently even connecting to Google, which I assume is in Thailand  is slow, same for youtube.

I stream tv and get plenty of errors with the sources, which is not normal, so I ran a Netalyzr tests and below are the results, which in my opinion don't look good.

Ntealyzr.JPG.ebffd091080e2923a193362773cdd932.JPGNetalyzr3.JPG.94bc0533b344d0adc58955781f3e0060.JPGnetalyzr2.JPG.f6ab4fb83419564176879f64656bc373.JPGNetalyzr4.JPG.519c284d1fb085e29820264baae73c1d.JPG

So I tried to change the DNS to Google or OpenDNS, but however I enter the settings correct in the router, my connection keeps using 3BB DNS.

So I go get another router, but they only have Huawey routernow while I have ZTE, and the Huawey router give me only 21Mb to Bangkok, while the ZTE gives me 33Mb on my 30 Mb VDSL connection.

Tried 4 Huawey routers over the past weeks, and all the same result.

So I call the 1530 Call center, and they check and tell me my DNS is locked to the 3BB DNS.

A few minutes later a " technician" calls me and say, yeah I can see you use Google DNS, while I have OpenDNS settings entered lol.

So what my suspicions are now is that since they know I set up Kodi boxes, they want all traffic to go over their DNS servers, so that they can track the IP addresses I connect to, and then block them.

Is that a possibility, and are they legally allowed to block me to use other DNS servers?

59b3e0fc654c6_routerdns3.JPG.732fde02a54c5f51680e1e2510b5b33a.JPG59b3e0fcd3991_routerdns2.JPG.62de3a99ad3138d64f1e68edd26ee457.JPG59b3e0fd5531f_routerdns.JPG.8797ee3660541bd70b2ea107afecbdc6.JPG

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

Lawsuit? Thailand is not western country. You dont have rights here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I get your point, however OCPB has been very good a few times defending the rights companies thought I didn't have.

Back to topic, the point of my post was actually as the title says, what is going on here.

From the tests and other screenshots I posted, what is there to conclude, that isn't right?

Is my ISP spying on me, and are they deliberately redirecting traffic in a way that shouldn't be legal in a civilized country, and in a way that negatively affects my connection?

Is that screenshot from ipconfig? You know, you have to change the DNS server address both in your router and in your PC. I think (I've been away from hardware too long) the address in your router is the controlling one (it's between your PC and the ISP so could change the packets). I remember you have to uncheck an option to automatically get the DNS server address in order to enter your preference manually. Have you changed the settings in your network?

The idea that 3BB is spying on you is (probably) ridiculous.

22 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

why don't you quit that subscription and join another service with another service. Lawsuit.... ha ha

AGAIN.

This thread is not about the validity of a lawsuit or not, it is about what the tests show.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to select between different providers.

25 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

why don't you quit that subscription and join another service with another service. Lawsuit.... ha ha

i have 3BB which was not very good for mimix box until i up graded to fiber obtive now no problems. the only problem i find with 3BB is if i get a problem no internet it takes them a week to get here.

9 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Is that screenshot from ipconfig? You know, you have to change the DNS server address both in your router and in your PC. I think (I've been away from hardware too long) the address in your router is the controlling one (it's between your PC and the ISP so could change the packets). I remember you have to uncheck an option to automatically get the DNS server address in order to enter your preference manually. Have you changed the settings in your network?

The idea that 3BB is spying on you is (probably) ridiculous.

I'm not the expert here, but my understanding is that if on your PC is selected "obtain automatically", it will use the DNS entered in your router settings.

There are other appliances connected to the network, like Android set top boxes, where there is no option to set a preferable DNS.

Strange is that I have the right settings in the router, but it still shows as using the 3BB one in the router status.

The call center also told me, after looking in my details at their side, that my DNS was locked to the 3BB one and she didn't know why that was done.

Why would they something like that if it wasn't true, and what would be the reason to apply such a lock other then wanting to know everything I connect to.

And my biggest concern is what we read in this test result.

15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Ntealyzr.JPG.ebffd091080e2923a193362773cdd932.JPG

0Try putting the Google or other DNS addresses in your adapter settings (be sure it is the correct adapter if you have more than one), then restart the computer and do ipconfig.

It has been quite a few years, but I did something like this long ago.  

I have used many isp's through the years..... 3BB is the best I have had yet.  Location also makes a difference.

29 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The call center also told me, after looking in my details at their side, that my DNS was locked to the 3BB one and she didn't know why that was done.

So can they change it - presumably you asked?

19 minutes ago, topt said:

So can they change it - presumably you asked?

I indeed asked, and they said that only a technician could do it, so about hald an hour a technician called from the Bangkok office.

I had mentioned to the call center that wanted to use the Google DNS, as a matter to explain what my purpose was, so the technician told me he could see at his side I was using Google DNS 8.8.8.8..............however I had entered the OpenDNS details

I have 3bb and changed my network adaptor settings to use another DNS and it works just fine. 

My issues with 3bb is that I lose signal on their fiber optic connection and it takes 3-4 days to fix it. 

Also I've been paying 2650฿ for 100mb DL speeds and found out they've been selling the same service to new clients for ฿900 a month for over a year. 

I run an honest business,  if I drop my prices and an existing client reorders and sends me an order at the old price, they get an invoice for the new price. 

42 minutes ago, hml367 said:

0Try putting the Google or other DNS addresses in your adapter settings (be sure it is the correct adapter if you have more than one), then restart the computer and do ipconfig.

My understanding is that the settings in the router override the setting in the adapter, since the router is the last link between your PC and ISP.

I don't understand all the complaints about 3BB.  I live in a small town 30 kilometers outside of Korat and I have had 3BB for 7 or 8 years.  Very seldom does it go down and when I call the response is very good.  I live 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the US.  I pay for a year of 3BB each year and after I am away for 6 months, I walk into my home turn on the laptop and the Internet is ready and I am on.  No one uses it while I am away.   The house is empty but someone checks on it and moves the grass and pays the water and electric bill with money I leave behind for this purpose.  If I am just lucky, I am very happy for it.

24 minutes ago, hml367 said:

did you try? Remember you must restart the computer.

you can always change it back. As I said, it worked for me in the past, although I never had any better performance with DNS other than 3BB

My IPv4 details show I'm using the OpenDNS settings, however I have obtain automatically selected, but my router status still shows the 3BB dns.

59b4ce2ba1481_networkdetails.JPG.5775158cde2af7ef6e76811a73ad27e5.JPG59b4ce2c8d622_networkdetails2.JPG.a63585a283c79b6956e48c5d081085de.JPG

dns.JPG.fbab6c5e8c12de1935c1de99fc0a2015.JPG

So which one is correct?

Now please let's focus on the details in the Netalyzr test report, which indicates MAJOR issues. How serious are they?

Ntealyzr.JPG.0d71c391d76e43589b62f7dd6566a383.JPG

I get your point, however OCPB has been very good a few times defending the rights companies thought I didn't have.

Back to topic, the point of my post was actually as the title says, what is going on here.

From the tests and other screenshots I posted, what is there to conclude, that isn't right?

Is my ISP spying on me, and are they deliberately redirecting traffic in a way that shouldn't be legal in a civilized country, and in a way that negatively affects my connection?
Civilized country? I thought you were in Thailand?

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

I have 3bb and changed my network adaptor settings to use another DNS and it works just fine. 

My issues with 3bb is that I lose signal on their fiber optic connection and it takes 3-4 days to fix it. 

Also I've been paying 2650฿ for 100mb DL speeds and found out they've been selling the same service to new clients for ฿900 a month for over a year. 

I run an honest business,  if I drop my prices and an existing client reorders and sends me an order at the old price, they get an invoice for the new price. 
3BB have always automatically dropped my subscription fee or automatically increased my bandwidth to match their advertised prices without ever having to ask them.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

58 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

My IPv4 details show I'm using the OpenDNS settings, however I have obtain automatically selected, but my router status still shows the 3BB dns.

So which one is correct?

Please note that some routers continue to show the ISP DNS address in the status window even though you have chosen to override it in the manual settings.

If you have entered a preferred DNS in the routers settings then that's what it will return to its clients.

15 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Please note that some routers continue to show the ISP DNS address in the status window even though you have chosen to override it in the manual settings.

If you have entered a preferred DNS in the routers settings then that's what it will return to its clients.

Thanks for pointing that out, and from my IPv4 properties it seems to be the case, though if this is the case then I wonder what the purpose is of the DSL status report in the router.

Now please let's focus on the main topic of the thread.

How serious should I take the MAJOR abnormalities in the test report, as I consider Netalyzr not really a mediocre source.

Another poster asked what they need to spy on me for.

I explained that already in a previous post.

I'm known to them as a Set top box seller with Kodi builds installed, which I also maintain.

We all know that ISP's throttle torrents, but with streaming that is not so easy to detect, so who better than me would they have to spy on to discover all the IP addresses they need to add to their throttle list?

Your router will give you an ip  and dns settings using dhcp. Typically the dns setting will either be the ip of the router or the isp's dns. Either way you can override it as mentioned. then you need a cmd dns tool such as nslookup. With this you can lookup a hostname and it should tell you which dns server gave you the lookup. Then you will know if your dns or the dhcp supplied dns is doing the lookup.

if you use a vpn, this sets up an encrypted tunnel to your vpn end point, which does your dns lookups for you. Hence the dns server/s will change when using a vpn. vpn is a good way of overriding your isps settings and doing some testing.

Archived