1 dead 2 injured as motorbike crashes into parked bus on Jomtien second road

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed? - Warning lights turned ON by the parked bus? - Helmets? - Drugs or booze? - Lack of attention or playing the fool with selfies or to impress his pals?

whatever....

Requiescant in pace....but we should rather be wishing  Rest in Peace to the family...as in such issues it is those who survive, that suffer their dead!

14 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Speed? - Warning lights turned ON by the parked bus? - Helmets? - Drugs or booze? - Lack of attention or playing the fool with selfies or to impress his pals?

whatever....

Requiescant in pace....but we should rather be wishing  Rest in Peace to the family...as in such issues it is those who survive, that suffer their dead!

Yes its strange how much irresponsibility there is on Thailands roads, when you look at what little help is available to both victims and those left behind

23 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Yes its strange how much irresponsibility there is on Thailands roads, when you look at what little help is available to both victims and those left behind

Thai believe in karma. And the West, fools had their rewards.

Same equation, different expression.

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

I have always been mercenary, so I will stick with what I understand thanks

You pays your money and takes your choice

That's the problem with such an outlook - I, me and myself.

Would change when you think of the sacrifice and pain your parents had to undergo to bring you into this world and brought you up.

At least you could tell them that you will take care of yourself and would be with them when they get old, and hold their hands during their passing.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Five in the morning. Not just speeding. Probably high on something too...

or leaving/going to work and just not paying attention

YOU COULD BE RIGHT................ But you will have one Helluva time selling me on the idea..........

I've been around Pattaya 30 plus years and I would wager that the odds of them going to work at 5AM is one-percent vs been out all night partying......... and so likely 'partying'  on money some of their girlfriends 'earned by sleeping with a 'farang' ...... they call them 'Mang-da's' (Cockroaches, the kind that are deep fried and Issan bargirls like to eat) Mang-da's live off of prostitutes and even 'Pimp' them.....

I realize that I could be wrong by a 1% factor and just offer my post as 'food for thought'.........

However if the second and third (on that bike) die....... think of the positive side  -- how many Thai girls won't have to take care of babies who don't know their father or where he is.... The babies that these 3 guys would have likely made had they not met or missed that bus......... I feel that it wasn't likely any loss and probably some gain in many ways....... but I do have pity on their parents suffering afterward.....

And to answer about the bus having 'rights'......... I was a 'GREYHOUND' bus driver in the US for years and I can assure you that even in Thailand The busses pay a lot more of 'road Taxes' Than cars and motorbikes and therefore have 'MORE' rights to the roads than most others...... Like it or not..........

20 minutes ago, The manic said:

Hotels and restaurants have early shifts as do bakeries and a whole host of other businesses.

Like I have said, employees of such businesses begin work at 5am, and not riding their motorcycle 3 astride on the road.

12 hours ago, newnative said:

Look at the photo.  What I see is a big bus parked in a traffic lane.  The motorcyclist was probably at fault but the bus shouldn't have been parked on a very poorly designed road that is not wide enough to accommodate parked buses.  It's amazing how many times cars and other vehicles run into parked vehicles that are on or close to traffic lanes--like cars with engine trouble that have stopped.  Sometimes drivers not paying careful attention don't realize they are stopped--especially true at night. 

Jomtien 2nd road often has tour buses parked on it, usually on the 3 lane sector between soi Watboon Kanchana and Thappraya road. This section looks like dual carriage way between soi Chaiyapruek 2 and soi Watboon Kanchana.

I don't believe that the parked buses (there were at least 2 here) were doing anything illegal.

That being the case, I would further venture to suggest that this was not an accident but manslaughter on the part of the driver of the motorcycle..

52 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Jomtien 2nd road often has tour buses parked on it, usually on the 3 lane sector between soi Watboon Kanchana and Thappraya road. This section looks like dual carriage way between soi Chaiyapruek 2 and soi Watboon Kanchana.

I don't believe that the parked buses (there were at least 2 here) were doing anything illegal.

That being the case, I would further venture to suggest that this was not an accident but manslaughter on the part of the driver of the motorcycle..

True, the parked buses were not doing anything illegal.  And, that, of course, is the problem and safety issue.  Way too many roads allow parking  when they should be marked no parking.  Much of Jomtien Second Road is a good example.  An even better example is Jomtien Beach Road where it narrows down at the southern end.  Barely wide enough for 2 car lanes, even it is not marked for no parking. 

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

True, the parked buses were not doing anything illegal.  And, that, of course, is the problem and safety issue.  Way too many roads allow parking  when they should be marked no parking.  Much of Jomtien Second Road is a good example.  An even better example is Jomtien Beach Road where it narrows down at the southern end.  Barely wide enough for 2 car lanes, even it is not marked for no parking. 

I think very much NOT so important...... Young guys out partying all night and racing along could smash into an Electric Post........ It just happened to be a parked bus but could have been a trash truck picking up rubbish..... Or ANYTHING.......... People on motorbikes driving sensibly don't smash into stationary items when driving with 'their full facilities'............

Look at the bright side, now there are a few less 'irresponsible ' Thai guys to get Thai girls pregnant and fail to look after them and their children....... I think 3 Thai girls out there 'have been blessed'.............

12 hours ago, trogers said:

Like I have said, employees of such businesses begin work at 5am, and not riding their motorcycle 3 astride on the road.

More grist to your "Mill of Denial":

Mae Wilai Market Until Dawn

Every day, 24 hours

Pattaya Rak Center (Seafood)

Every Day,1am -10am

Theprasit Night market

Every day, 5.01 am - 12pm.

And countless other places that, unlike these three, are "not in the book".

I would stick to the property if I were you.........you come across as quite "normal" when you do.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

More grist to your "Mill of Denial":

Mae Wilai Market Until Dawn

Every day, 24 hours

Pattaya Rak Center (Seafood)

Every Day,1am -10am

Theprasit Night market

Every day, 5.01 am - 12pm.

And countless other places that, unlike these three, are "not in the book".

I would stick to the property if I were you.........you come across as quite "normal" when you do.

Back to my question. What business establishment begins at 6am?

Even shift work have these timings:

Two-shift - 7am to 7pm eg security

Three-shift 7am, 3pm and 11pm eg factory

Thus, the 3 on that motorcycle were probably on the way back from an outing, and not on the way to work.

Edited by trogers

Heartless of me, but absolutely no pity here.

When Thais have near misses with me I can see them smiling and laughing all the way down the road.... while I deal with a heart attack.

Hope they don't sue the bus owner.

Edited by LazySlipper

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, trogers said:

What business establishment opens at 6am in Jomtien or Pattaya?

A hundred or so warehouses that supply drinks, ice, produce to shops and restaurants. Plus numerous repair facilities for bikes and cars.  Schools, hotels, shops that have morning staff before it opens to the public. 

Life is very active before the bar opens.

2 minutes ago, JayBird said:

A hundred or so warehouses that supply drinks, ice, produce to shops and restaurants. Plus numerous repair facilities for bikes and cars.  Schools, hotels, shops that have morning staff before it opens to the public. 

Life is very active before the bar opens.

Sure there is, but what business requires staff to clock in at 6am?

I have stated the businesses that needs clocking in before 5am and 7am. Can you name a business in that area that stipulate 6am.

There is in Bangkok - the mass transit system.

I recall a story of an Expat in Phuket facing charges for having parked on the side of the road and a girl rode into the back of his car killing herself...   I'm not certain of the outcome....

I wonder whether or not the bus driver will face similar circumstances.

While it is plainly obvious that the motorcycle riders were a fault for the accident when hitting a stationary object, the bus may have been parked illegally in an area of low / no light and thus be somewhat complicit. 

A vehicle cannot simply be safely parked in a 'traffic' lane.. If said vehicle is broken down measures should of course be taken to clearly mark the vehicle for the safety of others approaching. 

As far as I am aware there is no restrictions to parking on Jomtien second road except at a few places where they have the red and white stripes on the kerb mainly at junctions. The photo shows no red and white stripes and it doesn't look near a junction either... motorcycle totally at fault.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Prairieboy said:

Wherever they were going it is amazing that they couldn't see a parked bus!  Why were there 3 persons on the bike?  I see no evidence of helmets.  Karma!

The dark sunglasses and lack of headlight may have been an issue.

• 2 months later...

these tour buses are parked anywhere and everywhere making once wider roads much narrower,and harder to get by,any place they can clean out the bus and hang their dirty socks out to dry,while they wait for their next tour group...take a walk behind the once peaceful and quiet dusit resort ...in pattaya we have no where left to walk with out these filthy buses either parked or screaming down the roads..