Best Place to Live in Thailand With Family- Good Schools

piranah

I have just signed up to Thai Visa and am seeking some advice. I am retired and live permanently here in Thailand in Lower Issan in a rural village with my Thai wife and 3 kids aged 11, 7 and 2 years.  I have lived here 4 years now and have enjoyed it up to now but the past 6 months have really been trying.  The humidity and heat here seem to have gone up a few notches, I am surrounded by rice fields and water which probably adds to the humidity, a trip into town verifies this as I find it is still very hot but not as humid. This years wet season has been very difficult to endure.  My kids go to the village school and are not getting a very good education.  There is not much to do here either, we holiday regularly mainly to the beaches around Rayong and Chantaburi.

I feel we need to move to a place that does not have extreme humid heat, very wet seasons,  has decent schools nearby, has some interesting places to visit and things to do and has reasonable housing options.  I would probably rent first then maybe buy if things worked out.

Any suggestions?  Some knowledgeable, detailed replies would be appreciated.  

Plenty of decent schools, whats ur budget?? I assume ur not willing to spend the $$ to give them a western education Unless,

Do the kids hold western passports? will u want to give them a good education so they can transfer later to the west?

Your not providing enough info

as to where to live its purely subjective,

some like the north, some the middle, some (like me) the south

Chiang Mai, but as already quoted, pricey.  International schools are about as good as your going to get outside of Bangkok but even an OK one will set you back over $10,000+ USD per child all the way up to Prem who wanted $43k USD for my 2 kids 1st year there.  Thai schools seem to be up a notch but that is not saying much.  Good side is the weather and the things to do here.  A good day lounging at Huay Tung Tao is both inexpensive rejuvenating.  Going out tomorrow to check out the construction progress on the National Astronomical Research Institute which promises a planetarium and other public resources.

Good luck with your search, hope you find your fit.

A big can of worms you have opened. Everyone will instinctively say were they  reside.

Other things you may want to take into account.

Immigration office in the area friendly or pains.

How do your wife and kids feel about the proposed move.

No matter where your going to get some humidity and rain fall.

In what respect do you say the kids aren't getting a good education.

So many questions which really only you and your family can answer.

As i said at the start there will be so many places mentioned i dont see how one would choose over suggestions.

Shortlist and visit would be a way forward.

But your wife would know some area's surley.

Chon Buri area - mornings and nights are cooler, but the mid-days are high in humidity - I just moved (back)here couple months ago, lived in BKK, Udon, Chiang Mai and Uthradit, the beach areas are definately cooler in the evenings, and no burn seasons like Chiang Mai has.  Not perfect, but I sweat less down here than in Bangkok.

Your in the tropics, so no matter where you move you will find the heat. Yes for a couple of months in the north it's cooler and then lung disease season. 

Time to invest in some good fans and a/c?

If your retired, supplement their schooling with home schooling. Probably heads above what you would pay for anyway.

Thanks for all your replies, it all points to the same conclusions that I envisaged.  Chiang Mai or Chonburi.  We have lived in East Pattaya before and it is probably the easiest to move to.  I'm not to sure about CM as I've only been there once in 2005 and it would be a daunting move.  I can only really afford for the kids to go to a Thai Government school and it would be very difficult selecting one.

I just had a look at some of the international school's websites and their fees are astronomical.  I may consider moving back to Australia for the sake of the kids education where they will get free schooling of a comparable nature to the International schools here.

Back to the drawing board.

12 minutes ago, piranah said:

Thanks for all your replies, it all points to the same conclusions that I envisaged.  Chiang Mai or Chonburi.  We have lived in East Pattaya before and it is probably the easiest to move to.  I'm not to sure about CM as I've only been there once in 2005 and it would be a daunting move.  I can only really afford for the kids to go to a Thai Government school and it would be very difficult selecting one.

I just had a look at some of the international school's websites and their fees are astronomical.  I may consider moving back to Australia for the sake of the kids education where they will get free schooling of a comparable nature to the International schools here.

Back to the drawing board.

Is there not other schools in the area you are in? They are not all the same ours here a very good yet two miles up the road another is rubbish. Glad your not just going to do things on a whim. Taking time and exploring all options are your best weapons. Look before you leap.

if ur broke or living month to month, ur stuck with a local school which is fine till there 8 or so. Than at least consider a bilingual  school. Here in phuket those run 150-200,000 baht/year

The ONLY/Best thing u can do for ur kids is give them the best education you can.  Tough choice with 3 kids....

We live in Phuket and have two Thai girls (8 & 6 yrs old, wife's relatives) living with us. Thai school is surprisingly good, not like the common reports of stupid teachers and abuse. Weather is tolerable but everything is more expensive than BKK. 

For better weather consider Loei, up by the Mekong.

Ayutthaya, hands down. Has all you are looking for and still beach and big city around the corner. Interesting places, goood schools and universities around the corner. easy access to anywhere and the river for relaxing moments...

6 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

We live in Phuket and have two Thai girls (8 & 6 yrs old, wife's relatives) living with us. Thai school is surprisingly good, not like the common reports of stupid teachers and abuse. Weather is tolerable but everything is more expensive than BKK. 

For better weather consider Loei, up by the Mekong.

Where do you live?  I have considered Phuket but would like some more information.  Do you rent, own, what school etc?

The best schools in Thailand are the international schools. Most local Thai schools only offer the very basics of education, not really recommended for half western children, it will place them at a great disadvantage later on, because these schools mostly cater to poor Thai children.

The coolest climates in Thailand is Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Reasonable accommodation in a decent area, international school for 3 kids, dependent Thai wife, you`re probably looking at from 150000 baht to 200000 baht per month, maybe more,  expenditure to cover your lifestyle and a proper education for your kids. Also not forgetting they will need to go to university later on to achieve grades, also not cheap. Good luck.

@ Piranah, we live in just about the very center of Phuket, on hillside above the edge of Loch Palms golf club. Built a house about 8 years ago, excellent construction, very quiet and passable neighbors. Wife drives girls to her old school, which is on the north edge of Phuket town. Thai gov't school so trivial cost, and she also has private tutoring for them for English and Chinese. If you want proper tour PM to arrange.

On 9/13/2017 at 5:04 AM, cyberfarang said:

The best schools in Thailand are the international schools.

I dont agree with that very broad statement... there are local (some bi lingual) schools even government provided that are  better than the often overpriced international schools and often the international schools give a lesser smooth link towards Thai universities of which some are excellent as well..

On 9/12/2017 at 0:17 PM, jumbo said:

Ayutthaya, hands down. Has all you are looking for and still beach and big city around the corner. Interesting places, goood schools and universities around the corner. easy access to anywhere and the river for relaxing moments...

how long does it take to get to a nice beach from Ayutthaya city?

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

I dont agree with that very broad statement... there are local (some bi lingual) schools even government provided that are  better than the often overpriced international schools and often the international schools give a lesser smooth link towards Thai universities of which some are excellent as well..

I agree and if your child is top of the class intellectually then there's a better chance of getting into one of the medical degree's via the 'quota' system thats available at some of the govt schools. 

15 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

how long does it take to get to a nice beach from Ayutthaya city?

for me that means Klaeng/Kram behind Rayong and that is a 3.5 hour drive from Ayutthaya

there are what other people consider nice beaches in between. such as Bang Saen 1.5 hour drive

and then there is Pattaya... or Petchaburi the other side of the gulf 

matter of choice and preference

15 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

I agree and if your child is top of the class intellectually then there's a better chance of getting into one of the medical degree's via the 'quota' system thats available at some of the govt schools. 

Our daugther went from Ayutthaya college to Burapha University, English course, without me ever pushing her to speak English to me at home... her mothers looks and my brains I guess, hehehehhe, kidding..

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, keeniau96 said:

@ Piranah, we live in just about the very center of Phuket, on hillside above the edge of Loch Palms golf club. Built a house about 8 years ago, excellent construction, very quiet and passable neighbors. Wife drives girls to her old school, which is on the north edge of Phuket town. Thai gov't school so trivial cost, and she also has private tutoring for them for English and Chinese. If you want proper tour PM to arrange.

Thanks mate, I probably won't be able to take you up on your offer in the near future but maybe later.

It seems it is the luck of the draw so to speak where we farangs end up based on where our wives were brought up.  In your case you were lucky to find a wife from Phuket, mine, I ended up where I am. Never thought of that when I met the future Mrs Piranah.

I suppose I can't complain though, it is a pretty laidback life where I am.

We lived in Bangkok, she for her work and me as well and thats where we met. Later on when we discussed our future she told me she had a house in Ayutthaya where her sister lived for the time being. It was an easy choice to make that our  base and we kept an apartment wherever I worked... Now back in Bangkok have an apartment there, Hua Maak area, also easy for the odd night out, but home will always be Ayutthaya. I enjoy the weekends without traffic and the limelights en neon commercials... hehehe to an extent of course..

On 9/15/2017 at 11:49 AM, jumbo said:

I also dont agree;   international school are ONLY good if your planning on sending your child out of thailand for University and they need the subjects not taught in Thai schools and the langage,  other than that your wasting your $$

There some fine bilingual and even all thai schools if your plan is for your kids to attend Thai university.

If you don't have the $$ to send your kids to university back in your own country, why have them be fluent in English and learn the subject they will never use and NOT have the thai proficiency and spend the $100-150,000 for an international school education?

I raised my daughter here in phuekt

1styear thai school,(she Hated it) year 2-4 Montessori

year 5-8 Dulwich ( now BIS)
year 9 she lived back in the states

year 10-12 QSI (American curriculum)

She than attended and graduated from university in Ca and is now heading back to get her RN degree.

Its a tough call but one you need make early and it all depends on your $$ flow and future plans..

My experience with Thai, bi-lingual, schools from primary to college and Universities after sending two daughters through the system, is that they do not have to be expensive. Sending them to any foreign country was not an option for them as they chose to stay here, although the youngest, and brightest, could still change her mind. Singapore and countries like that have this attractive force on teenagers here... for all the wrong reasons I would like to add

Only thing that could lure them away in the future could be a foreign boyfriend...never work or career..