Connect Modem/Router to Lan

Just Curious

In my condo there is a LAN outlet that provides AIS Fibre at consistent speeds of more that 60mbps when connected to my laptop. I currently have a virtual router installed on the laptop that allows me to connect phones via wifi. Of course, only if the laptop is there and turned on, which is not always the situation.

I have a TOT tp link modem/router from my old condo, so the question is to all you learned people is can I connect this modem to the LAN network via cable and then use it to broadcast wifi so all devices (laptop and phones) can access the network? I'm assuming it can, but also I take it that it won't be plug and play. Nothing is ever that simple for me and technology!

Any tips on how to set it up?

Many thanks

Depends.

- The 'Wall' connection may be a node connection, requiring an actual Router or Computer to provide PPP and network authentication (name/pass).

- If there's a 'router' already on the premises at the other end of your 'wall' connection then you can connect your previous router via its LAN port, use webconfig to disable the router's internal DHCP server and give it a go. This should allow the router to function as an Access Point, the internal WiFi module should still pass all traffic.

The only problem you may have is providing your router with a working IP address -- so it doesn't have the same address of the existing router BUT still be in the same number range so you can continue to access and configure it.  

I'd see what LAN IP address the laptop received, then use that address but change the last digits to .250 (so if the laptop LAN address was 192.168.1.100 then reassign your router a LAN address of 192.168.1.250 .... so that is doesn't step on the original router address of 192.168.1.1,  is also have it out of the way of the DHCP server pool of addresses  192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 or so, but still be in the 192.168.1.x 'range' so you can still access it. 

Please do be aware that this 'wall' connection is not to a dedicated router, but to a shared router, there may be other users on the same wired network who can 'see' your network traffic.