Huge water bill

Becker

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

Glad to hear that you seem to have found the problem, as I said before, this is a problem with underground tanks, personally known a lot of people that have had problems with one and ended up costing a lot of money in water and to fix. Honestly, you are much better off with a tank above ground, yes they do not particularly look nice, if you are lucky, then it can be tucked away hidden somewhere unobtrusive.

Yes, get the meter checked out, best to be safe than sorry.

And who will have to pay the bill ?

Becker or the company who installed the underground tank ?

7 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Unless he is very lucky, then Becker will have to, reckon there is not much hope of getting the company to pay it.

7 hours ago, maximillian said:

You are having a laugh aren't you?

Consequential loss in LOS...........:w00t:

Mind you he does not say how long it has been in place? Edit - mentions a couple of years so no chance

Edited by topt

A friend in France wondered about her large water bills. 

It turned out that her neighbour, who looked after the place on her behalf when she was away on holidays, hooked his hosepipe to her outside water tap and helped himself to her water.

After that she fitted a lock to the tap and hey presto her bills reduced.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:44 AM, Becker said:

It's about 4 meters below ground. The thing is even with a broken pipe it's probably not possible to run up such a bill since the pressure in the water pipe is so low it's only a trickle at the best of times.

If normally you only get a trickle I would be 75% sure you got a leaking underground pipe/connection and may it have got worse while you were gone..... 

13 hours ago, blackaygo said:

Neighbour of mine had this problem, they drained the tank then a chap went inside with a device to melt the crack together. Been fine ever since. Your local small diy plastic pipe vendor may know someone.

Interesting as I have been wondering about a solution for this for some time. Unfortunately I have never been able to find anybody who reckons they can definitely fix it - IE guarantee it. The guys who cleaned the tank originally (who possibly caused it or enlarged it) would not guarantee a solution.

I ended up buying a free standing plastic one but the old underground one is still connected.

Any idea what he paid?

On 9/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, Formaleins said:

Don't know what you are paying per M3 for your water, but I had a broken pipe that used over 600,000 units and the bill was only 3000 Baht - let me just say, it was pretty obvious that there was a leak as the land was flooded in a large area - however, if your pipes are 4m below the surface it could well go unnoticed.

if it is a leak, just go and take a quick look at your water meter - the needle will be spinning like an aeroplane propeller.

600,000 m3 or 600 m3? The first would cost me 21 million baht, the second 21,000 baht. That's about twice my yearly consumption if it's the second, and if it's first number that would keep me going for 2000 years LOL.

Note: a unit is 1m3, or 1000 liters.

Edited by tropo

As a follow-up to this topic and due to lack of response in the housing forum I am posting the question here:

Can somebody please explain how to read my water meter in terms of amount and price? Does the meter count litres and what is the unit price?

1 hour ago, Becker said:

As a follow-up to this topic and due to lack of response in the housing forum I am posting the question here:

Can somebody please explain how to read my water meter in terms of amount and price? Does the meter count litres and what is the unit price?

The reading on your meter shows units ( litres) used, in this area we are charged 10 per 1000 units (1 cubic meter)

also there is a 35 baht standing charge.

Our last bill was 65 baht, standing charge plus 3000 litres used.

Before anybody starts telling me that is not possible, we have 4  1000 litre tanks catching rain water, that is why our bill is low.

Edited by colinneil

56 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The reading on your meter shows units ( litres) used, in this area we are charged 10 per 1000 units (1 cubic meter)

also there is a 35 baht standing charge.

Our last bill was 65 baht, standing charge plus 3000 litres used.

Before anybody starts telling me that is not possible, we have 4  1000 litre tanks catching rain water, that is why our bill is low.

I checked the meter yesterday and again today and it showed a consumption of 11 units so it one unit is one liter then the meter is wrong. Normally we use about 100 l. per person per day.

1 hour ago, Becker said:

I checked the meter yesterday and again today and it showed a consumption of 11 units so it one unit is one liter then the meter is wrong. Normally we use about 100 l. per person per day.

No way did you use 11 units in 1 day, the last line of numbers on the right is1 tenth of a unit, second number from the right is full units.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

No way did you use 11 units in 1 day, the last line of numbers on the right is1 tenth of a unit, second number from the right is full units.

A call to the TWA by the wife may have solved the puzzle. It seems that if you include the two last red numbers then one unit on the meter is ten liter, so the "white" numbers are m3.