40 days?

If he isn't already in Thailand he could get a single entry Tourist Visa that would give him 60 days. Or he could make a Visa Exempt entry that would give him 30 days on entry which could be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

If he's already in the country, and entered as a tourist, he could get a 30 day extension (1,900 baht).

Overstay is charged at 500 baht per day. If he gets caught on overstay he could be detained, fined, deported and banned from the country. If he overstays and makes it to the airport he would have no problem leaving as long as he pays the fine.

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

the problem with a  visa exempt entry on a 40 day stay is that the airline may want to see a visa prior to boarding.

do it safer get a single entry tourist visa from a nearby consulate in person (£25 +£10 admin fee) Hull , liverpool etc, or by post from London Embassy.

By way of explanation in case you're not familiar, many airlines will want to see EITHER onward ticketing that will show him leaving Thailand within the 30days that a visa-exempt entry would enable, OR a (tourist) visa.  If he doesn't have either one, the airline may well refuse to let him board.   Theoretically, the need for onward ticketing applies on entry at Immigration in Thailand as well, but typically it's the airlines who check for that, and not Immigration.  So just a heads-up.

Edited by hawker9000

My 2 nd trip  July 16' .  I was more visa ignorant and booked 35 day trip with Delta I think.  They didn't care.  I was in Hau hin near my 30 days and should have made a visa run.  I did pay 2500 fine.  This past July the guy at the desk said something about my overstay.  I told him mistake, this time 30 days.   

I need to study this visa stuff better.  I don't know why I find it so confusing.  So many different names are used that don't seem logical. 

I was hoping to cone for 60 days for high season but due to a construction project I am not sure if I can make Dec Jan?  If I mailed to LA for a single entry 60 day visa would it be good for use any time in next period of time? Would I be able to take a side trip out of thailand during my 60 days? Laos, Singapore, Cambodia?

I do plan to re read the visa sticky Sometime when my mind is relaxed.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

If I mailed to LA for a single entry 60 day visa would it be good for use any time in next period of time? Would I be able to take a side trip out of thailand during my 60 days? Laos, Singapore, Cambodia?

A single entry tourist visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. You can do an entry at any time during those 3 months.

You could get a re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder to the 60 day entry valid when you returned from your side trip.

• Like 1

So re entry for 1000 let's you use all 60 days in Thailand?  So any days out of country don't reduce your 60?That gets complicated to pre plan for a RT airfare.  Someone said Maybe the airlines will not let you board with  a longer spacing than your visa. But is this really true? 

Maybe it's best to get a tourist visa and  just plan a side trip at 30 days for an 30 visa.  AKA visa run.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

So any days out of country don't reduce your 60?

Re-Entry only maintains your existing permission-of-stay date - you don't get extra days - you just get to leave and come back during the existing days.  To put in another way - when you come back, your "permitted stay until" date will be the same-date as it was when you got your original entry-stamp.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

the problem with a  visa exempt entry on a 40 day stay is that the airline may want to see a visa prior to boarding.

do it safer get a single entry tourist visa from a nearby consulate in person (£25 +£10 admin fee) Hull , liverpool etc, or by post from London Embassy.

Your post makes no sense, they do not ask to see a visa

What they "may" ask for on a Visa Exempt is a onward ticket, if the OP's Dad is only planning to stay here for 40 days it stands to reason he will have a return ticket back

1 minute ago, darrendsd said:

What they "may" ask for on a Visa Exempt is a onward ticket, if the OP's Dad is only planning to stay here for 40 days it stands to reason he will have a return ticket back

Yes but in 40 days airlines will know exempt is 30 days. Not sure they would bother mind.

4 hours ago, darrendsd said:

they ask to see a visa if the return ticket is more than 30 days. no  visa no boarding, so my post made perfect sense, i thought  a person with your post count would know that.

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

they ask to see a visa if the return ticket is more than 30 days. no  visa no boarding, so my post made perfect sense, i thought  a person with your post count would know that.

Some maybe but not all airlines bother as a rule. Daughters came over from UK for 2mths on seperate airlines at seperate times both coming on VEE and extending niether were asked about visa's and IO didnt ask about return flights being 55 day away stamped them in no problem that was last year one on BA one on quatar airways.

• Like 1

taking a risk to turn up without a ticket out within 30 days, or a visa, or a way of booking a ticket out within 30 days. i have been checked on a number of occasions in the UK and asked for my visa.

the normal advice is to be prepared to be denied boarding without the above esp if the flight is overbooked.

17 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Not all Airlines ask to see a visa,

I thought a person with your post count would know that

• Like 1

So if I bother to apply and get single entry? If I do want a longer vacation I should plan on any longer side excursions to be before or after my 60 days.  Say fly into Bkk and hone from Singapore. 

#1 I can only apply within 60 days of entry date.  But many suggest buying airfare 60-90 days out.  That's fffed

#2 each time I cross the border I have to pay 1000 baht to get back in?  Even for a day shopping trip to Mae sai market?

#3 so just getting a 30 day extension on top of a tourist visa for 1900 may be best? This requires planning part of a day and going to one of the locations.

#4 just get a 30 day reentry at a  border crossing. Idon't have any other extensions so I should not be stopped right? But this seems kind of an iffy thing to plan one and having more vacation plans in thailand. And it seems risky booking airfare at a 60 day interval ahead of time.  How much are these border visas?  

I'm beginning to seewhy so many complain

I'm flying 14,000 km for this risky iteneary.    Hopefully some competent official is reading TV and figuring all this out. 

20 hours ago, charliemike11 said:

Awesome Thanks, He's still in the UK. We will check out the single entry visa for 60 days it sounds perfect. Thank you so much we don't want any trouble overstaying just a visa for 40 days so that's great thank you.

I note you seem to be in Wales. The honorary consulate in Cardiff will give your father a tourist visa while he waits. Make an appointment by email just to ensure the honorary consul is around the day he intends to apply.

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

So if I bother to apply and get single entry? If I do want a longer vacation I should plan on any longer side excursions to be before or after my 60 days.  Say fly into Bkk and hone from Singapore. 

#1 I can only apply within 60 days of entry date.  But many suggest buying airfare 60-90 days out.

The Enter Before date of a single entry tourist visa is three months from the date of issue. When you enter Thailand using the visa, you are granted an initial 60 day stay in Thailand.

#2 each time I cross the border I have to pay 1000 baht to get back in?  Even for a day shopping trip to Mae sai market?

If you wish to keep your current permission to stay in Thailand intact, that is true. In an extreme case where you wanted to leave an reenter many times during the 60-day permission to stay, you do have the option of a multiple reentry permit costing 3,800 baht, but that is usually only of interest for those with a one year permission to stay.

so just getting a 30 day extension on top of a tourist visa for 1900 may be best? This requires planning part of a day and going to one of the locations.

A 30-day extension is one of your options. Another possibility is to plan your itinerary such that close to the end of your initial 60-day stay you are planning to make an overseas trip (intending to return with a visa exempt entry). Keep in mind that only two visa exempt entries over a land border are permitted in a calendar year (no such limitation when entering by air or with a visa).

#4 just get a 30 day reentry at a  border crossing. Idon't have any other extensions so I should not be stopped right? But this seems kind of an iffy thing to plan one and having more vacation plans in thailand. And it seems risky booking airfare at a 60 day interval ahead of time.  How much are these border visas?

Visa exempt entries are free, but

• as noted above, you can only have two visa exempt entries via a land border in a calendar year; and
  • when traveling by air intending a visa exempt entry, your airline is liable to check you have an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days (less likely for a short hop like Phnom Penh or Vientiane to Bangkok);
  • there are a very few land borders (with Myanmar) that will not allow you to exit and reenter to get a fresh visa exempt entry (for those places, even if currently on a visa exempt entry, you will need a reentry permit instead).

Other than the issues above, using visa exempt entries is not iffy for those who have spent little time in Thailand in the past.

I'm flying 14,000 km for this risky iteneary.

For Western nationals, the risk is minimal as long as you understand and follow the rules.

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

#1 I can only apply within 60 days of entry date.  But many suggest buying airfare 60-90 days out.  That's fffed

#3 so just getting a 30 day extension on top of a tourist visa for 1900 may be best? This requires planning part of a day and going to one of the locations.

I'm beginning to seewhy so many complain

I'm flying 14,000 km for this risky iteneary.    Hopefully some competent official is reading TV and figuring all this out. 

It's not that risky, just be aware of the details.  One key point is that you pay for and get a reentry permit before you leave, not upon your return.  If you stamp out and don't get a permit, that visa is done.  If you intend to cross the border more than 3 times,  a multiple reentry permit is 3800 baht and available.  Perhaps the "safest" course of action is to spent a morning at the Immigration offices.  Get an extension of stay for 30 days (extending your overall time to 90 days) and then get a multiple reentry permit AFTER you get the extension.  If you get a reentry permit BEFORE your extension, the extension will invalidate the reentry permit.  As others have said, you get 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land borders, so you could use 1 visa exempt to enter by air, leave the country within 30 days for a side trip or get a 30 day extension, and then use 1 or 2 visa exempt entries for side trips.  There's very little risk if you've had fewer than 6 visa exempt entries overall, and you will not get more than 2 at land borders.  Just be sure to have 20k baht (or equivalent) IN CASH when you attempt a visa exempt entry.  I've never been asked, but it happens so be prepared.  If your return flight is more than 30 days after your entry, your best bet is a tourist visa + re-entry permits; it's safest and avoids the hassle of your airline denying boarding.

Edited by cacahootie
added last sentence