What is the VERY BEST thing about living in Thailand??

fashionablesally

At this point, none at all. It used to be a good place to live, but cost of living is now at par to my home country. One certainly wont live long here if in Bangkok. The particulate in the air is 50% over the limit of the world health organization  limits. Of course the Thai government wont tell anyone or print this.

Traffic is horrible, don't know how people put up wit waiting for hours on the road. There are other thing that one cannot print or say, or you will be taken in for an attitude adjustment, or deported.

So tell me what is good about any more?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to go with the big smiles and warm hearted people that I come in contact with every day in rural Thailand...

AndI have to say that I agree with a poster above who mentioned all the msg, sugar, type additives in the street food. Eating at home more and more every year.. 

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

drinking piss all day :burp: everyday ... and my sex if i'm not too pissed but that's rare.

Cum on Stevie, yes the piss is good and cheap, but sex mate, has to be 2 3 4 times a week to keep the blood flow pumping hard through those arteries, with the ticker beating like your 21 so you can live a longer life, its my cardio work out, because skipping rope and fixed or pushing bikes don't give me the same pleasure, nothing like sex with piss oy !.

Maybe you should have sex while drinking, and then when you're done with the sex, keep drinking oy ! 

1st thing is the girls, then the street food thats already cooked. I don't know where the people in here think this place is cheap. a lot of thing here is the same price back home, only the rent is cheap in some area's. to buy pork, beef is the same dam price if not more. 2 lbs of ground pork at makro is 180 baht, i just bought it, that equals the average say 5-6 dollars.. wow big savings, same if you ask me, bread 33 baht = 1 dollar. same. 1 bottle of fanta red pop 17 baht.- 50 cents, same,,, so tell me it is cheaper here, BS, my electric bill is 3,000 for a size room no bigger than my living room, where i pay back home that same price for electric in winter for the whole dam house half that in summer.

you guys should start comparing the prices again. have a  good day

Making a life changing decision that has allowed me to be able to sit on my ass 12 years earlier than waiting around for the old age pension, and earning a very comfortable living from a tax free investment back in the old country (the money was all tied up in my house previously), which now allows me to do what I want without having to think twice, i.e. spoiling myself a little more, and knowing that my Mrs of 10 years has always supported me in whatever I do, adds to my happy life, suffice to say, as simple as it may sound, the thing I like the most about Thailand with all her Herpes, is the convenience of being able to buy the odd pie from Villa Mart and watching my wife pour on her home made mash potato on top, while salivating as the melted butter oozes down to the pie, then me adding a little tomato sauce at intervals as I have bitten into it and listening to the crackling of the pastry on each bite, then washing it down with a chilled beer.

The rest is history, but seriously, wouldn't have enough room to fill everything I like about Thailand, you guys know what I'm talking about, as for the negative side of things in Thailand, well every country in the world has negatives, you just have to learn to accept it, and duck and weave, otherwise your going to be walking around with your nuts in a twist.

Life's to short, time to just enjoy the things you want, in moderation and leave Thailand to work its own problems out, if it can.

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 hours ago, tonray said:

The fact that I can go to the bank at 8 PM on Sunday night (Mall branch) or that I can get a haircut almost anytime of day (exception Wednesdays). And of course, 24 hour 7-11 and family Mart on every corner, and food vendors right off the train on the way home. The ultimate convenience society...there are a few costs to that convenience but well worth it.

I recall many times in the US, did not go shopping and the nearest convenience store either too far away or closed after 8 PM...so had to make due with whatever is in the pantry...and needing a haircut to boot because I could not get to the barber before 5 PM !

Where did you live in the US and didn't you have a vehicle? I haven't been to the states in over ten years; have they started to close the convenience stores and barbers early?

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Housing is the big one....most other things are similar cost if one wants similar quality. But having said that....I pay only 1/5th of what I would pay on the east coast of the US for similar accommodation so it is huge.

I have to agree, housing and hotels are much cheaper and better than many other places in SEA and in the Western world. I pay $240/mo for a three-story, 4bdr/3bth row house with a large master bedroom and balcony, back yard, and garage on a quiet soi in a very nice downtown neighborhood. I rent my 2bdr/2bth units in Florida for three to four times that.

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Where did you live in the US and didn't you have a vehicle? I haven't been to the states in over ten years; have they started to close the convenience stores and barbers early?

East Coast and yes but who wants to drive in traffic just to get some snacks?  And yes.. Many stores in the suburbs especially close at 8 or 9 and barbers either require appointments or you need to make it before 5 pm and wait an hour. 

1 minute ago, tonray said:

East Coast and yes but who wants to drive in traffic just to get some snacks?  And yes.. Many stores in the suburbs especially close at 8 or 9 and barbers either require appointments or you need to make it before 5 pm and wait an hour. 

Must be something new. In years past I lived in DC, Virginia, and Florida, but never in a place where 24-hour convenience marts were not available. Never had problems with a barber being closed, but then I could go anytime I wanted.  

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Must be something new. In years past I lived in DC, Virginia, and Florida, but never in a place where 24-hour convenience marts were not available. Never had problems with a barber being closed, but then I could go anytime I wanted.  

Usually 24 hours in urban areas that are quite dangerous to patronize after dark. 

Just now, tonray said:

Usually 24 hours in urban areas that are quite dangerous to patronize after dark. 

It seems every gas station is also a convenience mart in most areas, but if you live in a questionable urban area it may be dangerous--which is why I carry my Kahr Elite, with a concealed carry permit, of course.