Gnat Infestation

Brightly

In the past 24 hours my place (inside and outside) is infested in gnats.

Don't know why it's happened now--certainly we've had lots of rain before today...

Anyway, does anyone have a decent, hopefully non-toxic way to dispatch these little guys?

At least they're not biting or causing real harm, but I'm reaching my tether.  They are everywhere.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Brightly

Try to fill a dish with vinegar and add some dish soap. The vinegar is said to attract gnats and the components of dish soap would be enough to stick them down. Try it and do give a feedback if it worked???

I also planted lavender all over my garden here in Europe and it did work (a good bit) with  mosquitos. Not sure if it would grow in Thailand though?

Thanks observer 90210!

I have tried the vinegar/soap combo before in the southern US, and I didn't trap many gnats.

I tried again last night, and once again, didn't catch many critters.

I did, however, fill a spray bottle with 70% isopropyl alchohol and soaked those little suckers.  Knocks them right out of the air, which is cruelly satisfying somehow. But they do die immediately, and my place smells hospital-fresh (!)

I'm sure the electrified "mosquito rackets" would help out as well, but both of mine simultaneously bit the dust, and I was unable to try out the electrocution route.

Anyway, after the isopropyl spray offensive last night, the plague is down by about 50-60%, so I think I'm on the winning end.

I checked my drains, garbage cans, etc. to determine the breeding source  of these tiny vermin, but found nothing.

I later realized these bugs may have made their way to my house via Hong Kong Post.

I receive lots of small packages weekly from China, and I had just opened a package < 1 day before my deluge.  It has me wondering...

Bottom line: the alcohol works, and I will either vacuum up the rest (yes, vacuuming them IS a thing, and apparently works well) and/or get old-fashioned fly paper/tape to round up the rest.

But a question to members: Has anyone ever experienced unwanted visitors in their air-mail parcels?  

Just curious....