Relying on the Russians - Thai hotels chief has mixed forecast for Pattaya high season

webfact

Relying on the Russians - Thai hotels chief has mixed forecast for Pattaya high season

21686502_1650299301657664_486152587840864954_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

PATTAYA: -- The head of the Thai Hoteliers' Association on the eastern seaboard has mixed hopes for tourism in Pattaya this coming high season.

While he expects a lot more Russians than in previous years he is less hopeful of a resurgence in other European visitors.

A glut of hotel rooms means high season is a bit of a misnomer - better than usual season might be more accurate according to Sanphet Suphabawornsathian, who spoke to Sophon Cable TV.

But the glut of hotels is good news for travelers - prices should be the same as last year.

"The Russians are coming back - that is for sure," said Sanphet. He pointed to better political stability in Russia and an improving rouble.

He said that indicators showed that this year there were more advanced bookings being made - people were less likely to wait until the last moment for discounts.

He expected Germans, Scandinavians and people from the UK to make up a fair proportion of what he called quality tourists but cautioned that their number were not expected to be as large as in recent years.

Those kind of tourists were less interested in high class hotels and are looking more to condominiums and apartments, he said.

Thais would continue to come to Pattaya but mostly on long weekends and short trips. He felt they were more likely to go to the north this year to take advantage of the cool weather there.

This would be particularly true of Bangkok based Thais, he said.

He bemoaned the state of hotels in Pattaya saying there were essentially too many for the market. Consequently prices would be low and about the same as last year.

"At least there should be more customers to make the operators smile," he said.

And visitors should again get a good deal for holidays in Pattaya.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-13

21617855_1650299314990996_1616046291035185199_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Based on some news items on here, over the last couple of months, that would be debatable ! :coffee1:

Are you a quality tourist? How many art galleries, theatres and museums do you visit? How many thousand baht a day do you put into the economy?

44 minutes ago, The manic said:

Are you a quality tourist? How many art galleries, theatres and museums do you visit? How many thousand baht a day do you put into the economy?

Lots, I have a great appreciation of the performing arts and regularly visit the galleries and theatres of Pattaya and finish my day on a happy ending at one of the museums.

52 minutes ago, The manic said:

I am NOT a tourist, and what I spend goes into the economy.

Any more quality posts to offer ?

1 hour ago, The manic said:

Are you a quality tourist? How many art galleries, theatres and museums do you visit?

Why on earth would anyone visit Thailand for its galleries, theatres and museums; that's what you do in places like London, Paris and New York. When they say quality tourists I think they mean people who stay in five-star hotels, indulge in organised excursions and activities, and probably spend a lot of their time lounging by the pool. I would imagine a lot of these guys have high pressure jobs and are here to relax not improve their minds.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

If a quality tourist wanted to come here they would not find much in the way of theaters, art galleries, and museums. There simply aren't very many.

Plenty of Thai culture to shove down their throats, though.

Getting tourists to visit Pattaya is one issue, getting them to ever return is the real issue.

The whole place needs a major cleanup and I am not talking about the Bars.

Sort out all the thieving taxis refusing to use meters and putting guns to the heads of anyone trying to make changes to that. Remove all Jetski's from the beach to eliminate some of the corruption.  Clean the beach daily. Stop the annoying street Touts from shoving a different watch in your face every 2 minutes after the sun goes down so tourists can enjoy a relaxing night out.

If you start with this Tourists may even want to come back for another holiday.

Edited by Toshiba66

How do Russians fare in Pattaya?  They have no English and little in the way of manners.  I was approached outside Pattaya Night market by a family group of Russians.They made several gestures imitating eating food.  I presumed they were not familiar with the word 'restaurant'.

Just now, mikebell said:

How do Russians fare in Pattaya?  They have no English and little in the way of manners.  I was approached outside Pattaya Night market by a family group of Russians.They made several gestures imitating eating food.  I presumed they were not familiar with the word 'restaurant'.

And these are the quality tourists!

Quality tourists for Rubbish  Services and inferior facilities.Do not differentiate between visitors as you do not really know the exact amount each individual spends.

You need them all ,after all all tourists contribute to your total  golden pot.?

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I thought Russian was the official language of Pattaya nowadays?

• If he wanted to do something really useful he would get all the powerful hotel operators together and strongly lobby City Hall, Immigration, and the police to strongly and visibly enforce the law against short-term rentals in condominiums.  Every day the hotels lose a huge number of room rentals to these illegal rentals.  And, once lost, never to be regained.  You can't go back in time and get a second chance to rent the room--the revenue is gone.  Strong enforcement would be a big win for the hotel owners, the taxation department, and to the many condominium residents who don't like a daily parade of hotel guests staying at their place or residence.