Floating trash off Pattaya's coast - watchdog blaming Thais as "sixth worst polluters" in the world

webfact

Thai's are the  most serious polluters! I could send a whole bunch of photo's of the so called trash/garbage pick up points along the sie of the roads in isan, but it would do no good, they pile all their trash and garbage up along side the road, the soi dogs get into it and there is trash/garbage spread all across the roads! it stinks, and  gets grinded into the road by cars that drive over it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

A global research study recently found that plastic microscopic fibers are present in water everywhere, tap water, bottled drinking water. They conducted studies on water from almost everywhere on Earth and these microfibers where found everywhere from NY to Mumbai to Stockholm. Even Trumps Mara a Lago kitchen has these plastic micro fibers in the tap water.

On a side note, have not been to Pattaya for many many years and I do not understand how any one willingly would subject themselves to the horrors of that place.

A decent post ruined by silly comment at the end. 

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Sadly, that's not true. 

They litter their own and their neighbours doorsteps indiscriminately. Then they are the first to complain when tourists numbers drop off, scratching their heads and wondering why..... Blaming the bad weather or anything else, other than their own obvious lack of civic pride.

We drive past homes on our island that are piled high with junk and rubbish, that tourist are also subjected to when supposedly visiting the 'paradise' islands of Southern Thailand. We occassionally then drive a shortcut route on the mainland through a place of particular note, Lam Thap - North East of Krabi, where it is clear there is a sense of civic pride. The area is clean and tidy with well manicured frontages to their homes and businesses where few, if any, foreign visitors call into or even transit. Every time we travel this route I am bemused by the completely polar difference in attitudes of Thais towards their environment.

A campaign to highlight the negative impact of all this pollution on tourism, and hence their direct income, in a lot of places around Thailand may just hit home. That is, optimistically of course, assuming there is a measure of logical thought in the indigenous population. Hmmmm.

Very passionate, but a simple bull defecation would have sufficed. 

14 hours ago, Lingba said:

only 6th?

and behind whom or what other countries?

They are a strange lot that come up with these figures. Really how would they know? The Indonesians. The Indians? I was wading out into the surf in Bali one day and recollect thinking how nice it felt to have the seaweed washing around my legs and feet. Seaweed!! Turned out to be a sea of plastic that floods the coast whenever there is a storm in the Indian Ocean.      People are really awful and I have seen this sort of throw it overboard, down the ravine, in the hotel central courtyard mentality, all over the world. In many countries. The worst being countries with a coastline.

4 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

Ever been to India ?  There are some countries in this world you wish you'd never experienced.  I am pretty sure some parts of China are very trashy too . 

20 hours ago, The manic said:

The oceans of The world are sewage dumps of the world heavily sauced with toxic and radio active waste.  Only fools go in them. In Thailand the filth is just more visible.

Not only the oceans.

20 years ago I had a US girlfriend. She had property near Egg Habour NJ. Close to that place was a lake with a large fence around it. Innocent me (Aussie with no concept of this) asked why...it looked OK....no go area for the foreseeable future apparently.

17 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

I live inland and four mtimes a week a moving markets sets up opposite my house the trash left behind by itys custgomers is horrendous , including plastic wrappings from meat sales.

AND YES THE CUSTOMERS ARE ALL THAIS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naturally you clean up all the plastic....

16 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Exactly. Bins are few and far between and Thais don't care where they dump their trash. When we had construction being done on our house the construction crew  "cleaned up" after themselves by throwing all the trash over our wall and into the field behind us. 

They were really put out when we made them clean it up. I'm sure they loaded it into their truck and dumped it into the first open field out of sight of our home once they left. 

And it all goes back to the Police. They can pass whatever rules they want, but without a reliable, honest police force to enforce them they are all meaningless. 

Personal pride and environmental cleanliness has nothing to do with the police. That has got to be a mindset....not a threat of getting caught.

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

It's not the Thais .....   Thais would never do this ...  it's those evil farang that come here and take our girls and pollute our environment.

And to some extent that true.

If as TAT claim almost 50% of the population of 69 million is visited by tourists and they need to be 'serviced',and I use that term advisedly, then said tourist expect a similar service to that which they are accustomed to - fast food,plastic wrapping and containers.

We may not be as innocent as we like to believe in the bigger picture.

I love going to town and pigging out on KFC with all the plastic involved. At home (and I mean both Thai and Oz) the bride can cook grub from the garden in banana leaves and charcoal much to the amazement of the Ozzie daughter and her hubby and kids.

Not a piece of plastic in sight

Edited by tryasimight

6 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

They are a strange lot that come up with these figures. Really how would they know? The Indonesians. The Indians? I was wading out into the surf in Bali one day and recollect thinking how nice it felt to have the seaweed washing around my legs and feet. Seaweed!! Turned out to be a sea of plastic that floods the coast whenever there is a storm in the Indian Ocean.      People are really awful and I have seen this sort of throw it overboard, down the ravine, in the hotel central courtyard mentality, all over the world. In many countries. The worst being countries with a coastline.

An old sailor mate of mine sailed from the NT to Indonesia...kept the boat ship shape...saved and bagged all his ships garbage.

Arrived in some port and disposed of said garbage.

Set sail two days later and sailed out through his own garbage!

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Personal pride and environmental cleanliness has nothing to do with the police. That has got to be a mindset....not a threat of getting caught.

The threat of getting caught helps build the mindset. 

At my business in the US we had some jerk dump a load of trash behind our building. He was stupid enough to have dumped some cartons with his name and address on them. I reported it to the police who coerced him to clean it all up to avoid charges. Problem solved, mindset built, under threat of prosecution under even handedly, fairly enforced laws. 

I can't imagine the same scenario occurring in Thailand, where the party with the largest brown envelope would prevail (if one was foolish enough to involve Thai police). 

Edited by ftpjtm

On 9/13/2017 at 10:31 AM, alfalfa19 said:

My thoughts exactly, also:  the powers that be in thailand must be highly disappointed in their low rating. 

I'm sure they will put a positive spin on it. If they even acknowledge the problem that is.

In the meantime......

SAY 'NO' TO PLASTIC

19 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Not so. When fines are imposed for polluting/ littering, "incentives" are set.  It takes time for the word to get around that it could be expensive and people change their habits.      If you wait for them to "change" their minds/ mindset you may as well forget it. 

On 13/09/2017 at 2:04 AM, Pattaya28 said:

Law enforcement on the roads to reduce 75 deaths a day would be a good start.

Ocean law enforcement is a good idea but it won't happen.

And what about law enforcement of pumping raw sewage into the ocean ?

The ocean is getting polluted from all directions.

Are the boats dumping the crap in the ocean really going to bring their crap in with them ? when they can get away with easy option ?Not hard to see how the "mind-set" is.

What about the crap that's being dumped on the roadsides ? Is that being addressed ?

What is being addressed though, is the overhead signage in Walking Street.

There's money to be made from business owners over Walking Street signage.  No money to be made from any of the other issues. 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:31 AM, alfalfa19 said:

My thoughts exactly, also:  the powers that be in thailand must be highly disappointed in their low rating. 

Plastic bags, containers, wraps - anything! should never have been released until people knew what to do with used items.    Dropping everything into gutters, drains and the sea is the easy way out.

Governments have to be pro-active, supply bins, introduce recycling, and lighten the wallets of those who don't care.

On 15 September 2017 at 5:17 AM, Homburg said:

There's money to be made from business owners over Walking Street signage.  No money to be made from any of the other issues. 

Lots of money to be made from fines OR expensive blindfolds on all the issues!

Either way. It can only be good for the potential improvement in traffic law compliance and educating litter louts.

Edited by Tofer
Add info