Can I apply for a 2nd US Passport in Thailand or can I only apply for New?

My current valid Visa is on the final empty page of my current passport so if I apply for a New passport, do they just print another copy of that same Visa I have in my current passport and put it in my New passport?  So when I leave Thailand, will they stamp the exit stamp in my old passport or will that be canceled by then and I will have 2 copies of my Visa, the one in the final page of my passport and then that same Visa on the first page of my new passport?  Or will they be required to stamp out on my old passport and put the stamp out on the new passport also showing both Passports has the same exit stamp?   

I'm a bit confused because I don't want to apply for a new Passport because I still want to fill up my current passport.  It's not full, I just have like 1-2 stamps on each page but I don't have a full empty page for a new Visa, so thats why I wanted 2nd passport for full page Visas and keep my current for stamps that I want to still fill up.  I want a full passport but I just dont have space for the full page Visas, so what should I do? Am I able to have 1 Passport for Stamps and another just for Visas or once I apply for a new Passport then the current one is null and void? Kinda sucks because Immigration would always skip to blank page and have their stamp on a new blank page so it ruins the whole page for when I needed a blank page for a Visa
Edited by lopezkoa

When you get your new passport the old one will be cancelled by punching holes in cover and stamping the photo page as cancelled.

You cannot have 2 valid passports unless you request a 2nd one by showing proof you need one for business purposes.

The embassy will do nothing with your visa or immigration stamps.

You will show both passports on departure from the country and they will transfer your most recent entry stamp from the old one to the new one. Then when entering the country you will show both passports on entry if you still have a valid visa in your old passport. Immigration will then stamp you into the country in the new one.

If you don't have a valid visa you can retire the old one after departing the country.

Wow thats crazy, I wanted to fill the empty pages with 1 stamp with more stamps. But I just don't have any more room for when I need a new Visa which needs a blank empty page.  So I will have to continue showing two passports because my METV is on my last page and is good until January. So when I do my border run, I have to show them my canceled passport with the Visa and they will just put the Entry/Exit stamp in my new passport (With no Visa yet since the valid visa is on the last page of my full passport) 

Kinda wish I could do something about the page that only has 1 lonely stamp on it though. But because now that Im going to countries that need a full blank page for Visa theres nothing I can do

Edited by lopezkoa

13 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

So when I do my border run, I have to show them my canceled passport with the Visa and they will just put the Entry/Exit stamp in my new passport (With no Visa yet since the valid visa is on the last page of my full passport) 

That is what you will have to do.

Ok gotcha! One last question, I was reading about some people who get a new passport having to go to Immigration to transfer current Visa to new Passport, what is the purpose of this and I wouldn't need to worry about this do I? When I get a 30 day extension, they will just look at my old passport and stamp it in the new one, right? if I just show both passports, then I don't need to worry about transferring anything, no old stamps or visas to my new book, just start fresh again? why would people need to transfer anything to their new passport is that only if they don't want to show both passports?

1 hour ago, lopezkoa said:

Wow thats crazy, I wanted to fill the empty pages with 1 stamp with more stamps. But I just don't have any more room for when I need a new Visa which needs a blank empty page.  So I will have to continue showing two passports because my METV is on my last page and is good until January. So when I do my border run, I have to show them my canceled passport with the Visa and they will just put the Entry/Exit stamp in my new passport (With no Visa yet since the valid visa is on the last page of my full passport) 

Kinda wish I could do something about the page that only has 1 lonely stamp on it though. But because now that Im going to countries that need a full blank page for Visa theres nothing I can do

I had the same situation with my METV and when I got my new passport from the US embassy in Bangkok, along with my old punched passport, I also got a letter to give to immigration when leaving the country.

I did go to the Laksi Immigration office in Bangkok to ensure I did not need to get the METV transferred to my new passport. They said no problem, I just needed to show both passports and the letter when leaving.

However! I first attempted to go to Vientiane via the Friendship Bridge and was told NO by immigration at the bridge! I had to go to the Nong Khai immigration office to get some stamps in my new passport (not a new METV) and then return to the bridge before they would allow me to leave Thailand for Laos.

When leaving Laos (Wattay) for Bangkok a few weeks later, I did not have any further problems at the airport with both passports.