I've decided I should pick up some Thai language skills.

RobFord

On 9/20/2017 at 8:54 PM, EricTh said:

Thread starter isn't looking for an intensive program.

It's probably one of the best methods to learn Thai.

Best advice I have for the Op (thread starter) is do not...DO NOT learn Thai from a girl he may have recently shacked up with !!!

One of the best lines I've heard in Thailand "He speaks Thai like a bar-girl"... this was said of a friend of mine played fast and loose with the bar-women but learned Thai quickly but.

If you are going to learn Thai, learn it from an institution, there is nothing worse than a foreigner speaking 'slutty slang' for when interacting with Thai's we become judged / evaluated (or whatever you'd like to call it) those who speak with in those 'bar-girl' tones and slang as soon as they open their mouths they've removed doubt as to their position in the pecking order and may find themselves treated accordingly.

Sounds snobbish? It is !....  the social facade is afoot and life becomes much easier here when respected. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don’t think there is a short cut to talking, or understanding the Thai language. For sure people learn at different speeds, due to effort put in, teaching method and an individual’s ability.

Personally ‘RobFord’ I think you’re on a hiding to nothing here mate. Let’s say you learn a bunch of Thai words and then try and listen to a Thai conversion, I can guarantee you will come away either not having a clue what’s just happened or worst totally miss understanding what was said, because you did understand a hand full of words  and failed to understand the context of the conversation.  

To understand what’s going on with confidence, you will need not only to understand the ‘word’ but the grammar and tone…… Unfortunately to understand what’s going on you will have to some effort into it and yes, there will be pressure.

I would recommend one of two paths… ‘Grasshopper’, if you want to move forward from where you are now with your Thai and still want to have no pressure, get a Thai phrase book, one with all the day to day small talk and ‘tone markers’……. And knock the shit out of it, Hit the street or go to a park, Thais love to talk and are very helpful, Pronunciation and tone is the key……… Listen to the responses and how they form the word…….. You will pick up the most used Thai this way in day to day exchanges fast.

The second path to enlightenment is to stop messing about and commit, if you decide this route then do it right, learn to read it as well, OK it takes longer to start talking, but the benefits are there and don’t be put off, yes the idea of reading it is scary but I found it really interesting and ….. Dare I say it…. FUN!

If you want to go down the second route I can highly recommend this Thai Teacher;  Teacher Lah

Tel.086 193 8768

email: thailanguagechiangmai.com

www.thailanguagechiangmai.com

Good luck in whatever you do………    

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 8:10 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I took AUA classes. There were no tests in these classes. AUA offers several 'levels' of instruction, so perhaps in the immersion-type classes tests are given. We were in conversation classes, and it was all fun and games.

Can you speak Thai?

9 hours ago, LarryBird said:

Can you speak Thai?

I can - although nothing extraordinary. I owe it all to AUA and I did not put a lot of effort into it. I attended class and never studied and then went out and used it. That worked for me. Of course, back in those days you needed it a lot more than now. Very few people spoke English except in a few big cities and not a lot there.