Before and after - artist's impression of the future of Walking Street!

webfact

Before and after - artist's impression of the future of Walking Street!

ba.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Sophon Cable posted a picture online of what Walking Street may look like after the local authority have cleaned up the unsightly mess of the iconic walkway.

Gone are the myriad neon signs, hanging wires, Go-Go bar hoardings and bustle of the famous street.

It has been transformed into a place of calm and order where families would be at home.

People and tourists go about their business - shopping mostly - in an orderly fashion on beautifully paved streets and sidewalks free of clutter and touts.

The main problem for operators might be that there are hardly any people left. And the road resembles an orderly suburban street anywhere in the world.

Even "Skyfall", a well known sleazy area Go-Go bar, seems to have been transformed into a furniture shop.

The picture of a future some may welcome - and others would lament or even dread - was posted on a story about how the local authority are trying to rid the South Pattaya area of what they say are hoardings dangerous in the event of a fire or other emergency.

A meeting was held this week chaired by Saksit Yaemsri and the engineering chief Sunthorn Sompramai who invited operators from the businesses that make up Pattaya's most famous street.

Saksit asked for co-operation and understanding in tidying up the advertising hoardings saying they could present a dangerous obstacle in the event of an emergency or even could fall on tourists in the event of high winds.

Some are so low and stick out so much that emergency vehicles could not get down the street to deal with a problem.

The authority came up with three guidelines to limit the height of signs, their size and how much they can protrude.

But this was seen as just a temporary measure in the ongoing work to transform the resort - hence the artist's impression of what the future may hold.

The meeting was also told that at first the matter of the hanging wires and cables would be sorted and then the signs would need to be done.

Apart from the obstruction to safety vehicles the size of some of the signs meant they could sway or even fall in a storm and no one wanted a large sign falling on a tourists' head, the meeting was told.

Thaivisa notes that a previous "deadline" to obey the regulations - set in stone for August - was largely ignored. The passing of this deadline seemed to have prompted the need for this week's meeting.

Sophon reported that the operators agreed to follow the regulations and help the authorities.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-14

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....seems to be missing something. Oh yes, it's missing the flag bearing tour leader with the 50 odd Chinese tourists follow behind, spiting on the road and gawking at everything.

Otherwise, it looks like any other street we come across everywhere in the world. Bland and boring.

" Apart from the obstruction to safety vehicles the size of some of the signs meant they could sway or even fall in a storm and no one wanted a large sign falling on a tourists' head, the meeting was told."

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

this article should be pinned as a all time hysterically funny story.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A meeting was held this week chaired by Saksit Yaemsri and the engineering chief Sunthorn Sompramai who invited operators from the businesses that make up Pattaya's most famous street.

There should be a serious warning on all media regarding the stuff these guys seem to smoke!

2 hours ago, ezflip said:

Hmmm....seems to be missing something. Oh yes, it's missing the flag bearing tour leader with the 50 odd Chinese tourists follow behind, spiting on the road and gawking at everything.

Otherwise, it looks like any other street we come across everywhere in the world. Bland and boring.

Why would the Chinese tour groups go there when there is nothing to see? I spend my pension income living in Pattaya/Jomtien. I'm no regular on Walking but I like the vipe it and the rest of the town has. It that disappears so do I and my        >฿1.3m annually to a better beach resort town in or out of Thailand. Outside of lower income Russians what other foreign  families choose Pattaya for vacation?

The government should remember what happened in Singapore when they tore Boogie Street down, the powers that be in Singapore realised it was a mistake and rebuilt Boogie Street but it was never the same.....There is a lesson there!!!

27 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

The after image is correct. There are virtually no people on the new Walking St. That will be the net result.
Careful what you wish for.

Many on WS now spend no money.  Or very little.  Kinda like the red light district in Amsterdam.  Many walk by, few partake.

If they did it properly, it could be very successful.  I quit going to WS several years ago.  Just not my cup of tea.  I know many others who feel the same way.

Here's Bang Saray's walking street.  No go go bars.

https://www.mypattayacondo.com/bangsaray-walking-street/

Sunday-Walking-Street-Market-Bansaray-83

And Chiang Mai's market.  Always busy with tourists.

http://www.embark.org/thailand/chiang-mai/culture/sunday-market

sunday-market-chiang-mai-thailand.jpg

7 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

The government should remember what happened in Singapore when they tore Boogie Street down, the powers that be in Singapore realised it was a mistake and rebuilt Boogie Street but it was never the same.....There is a lesson there!!!

Geoffggi you know what this lot are like when it comes to taking advice off others especially advice off bloody foreigners even if Singa' is just down the road .. 

3 hours ago, harada said:

You can see ugly concrete boxes anywhere in the world, why would you come to Thailand to see more. :crazy:

image.jpeg

Yup, looks like Siglap or Changi Village area in Singapore! Cheap generic shop houses with the occasional pub or restaurant.  I think I would prefer to keep my family in the safe and orderly street that we already call home!   

What a waste of time, and just shows the lack of priorities this country has.   This is only a problem for the stuffy Thai elite.  Why don't they look at stopping the dumping of raw sewage into the sea first.  The sex trade harms far less people than outright, unmitigated pollution.  

2 hours ago, Metapod said:

Well they got one thing right, there is a hell of a lot less people walking around in the second image.

Obviously the TAT weren't consulted before this image was released.  Do they have inactive posts in Marketing Consultant offices?

51 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Many on WS now spend no money.  Or very little.  Kinda like the red light district in Amsterdam.  Many walk by, few partake.

If they did it properly, it could be very successful.  I quit going to WS several years ago.  Just not my cup of tea.  I know many others who feel the same way.

Bang Saray attracts local tourists and Chang Mai a different type of tourist.

Take away the sex tourism and Pattaya would be  lot smaller.

Yeah, but. . .

Who needs more shopping malls in Pattaya or anywhere else when, in a few decades if the "experts" are correct, the vast majority of us will be scraping along on a state handout called UBI (Universal Basic Income)?

6 minutes ago, malcoml said:

Bang Saray attracts local tourists and Chang Mai a different type of tourist.

Take away the sex tourism and Pattaya would be  lot smaller.

Or, it would evolve.  Not all tourists come here for sex.  And it's easy to have adult entertainment areas other than a prime oceanside spot like WS.  Look at how Pattaya has evolved over the past 15 years.  Many smaller beer bar complexes are now gone.

6 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . .

Who needs more shopping malls in Pattaya or anywhere else when, in a few decades if the "experts" are correct, the vast majority of us will be scraping along on a state handout called UBI (Universal Basic Income)?

"Experts"?  Really? LOL

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

You don't need to destroy Walking Street just to have another street with a market selling crap and tourist tat do you ?