Lost Passport

Hi, sorry if it's been done before (but i can't imagine it has).

I've been living here for 18 months and had a great job who didn't mind my legal and were always supportive. How ever as new laws were passed and my employers company- parent changed some things I was left in the following situation.

I was on my last run before I'd used all 3 specials up when...... I lost my passport on the last day I could (arghh)...It happened to co-inside with The Kings birthday and by when i eventally go my passport it was 29/12/06.

Then I got the push from my job (unfair i believe) because of the aforementioned changes, and after New Year, I discovered that my next step in my master plan had been shelved :o . I was about to.....(I thought I was about to) start Bkk Uni for the next 3 years but I was informed that my application was considered late!! I guess things that were loose have tightned up in LOS.

So now I am overstay for over a month, but I have these circumstances, particually the lost passport, the police report and embassy paper work, the university circumstances and I am not sure if I should say I ever worked????????????

Please give opinions...............................

Trianglechoke :D

I've been living here for 18 months and had a great job who didn't mind my legal and were always supportive. How ever as new laws were passed and my employers company- parent changed some things I was left in the following situation.

I was on my last run before I'd used all 3 specials up when...... I lost my passport on the last day I could (arghh)...It happened to co-inside with The Kings birthday and by when i eventally go my passport it was 29/12/06.

Then I got the push from my job (unfair i believe) because of the aforementioned changes, and after New Year, I discovered that my next step in my master plan had been shelved :o . I was about to.....(I thought I was about to) start Bkk Uni for the next 3 years but I was informed that my application was considered late!! I guess things that were loose have tightned up in LOS.

So now I am overstay for over a month, but I have these circumstances, particually the lost passport, the police report and embassy paper work, the university circumstances and I am not sure if I should say I ever worked????????????

my advice would be to fly out of the country and pay your overstay. if you try to go overland to leave the country and pay your overstay then there is a greater chance you might get stopped on the bus etc and your passport checked then you might be in much bigger trouble.

Try going down to Penang or over to Ventiane and get a new tourist visa which is good for 60 days plus another 30 you can extend.

That gives you some more time in country to apply for school or look for a job etc.

your overstay is currently around 30 days x 500 baht per day overstay(15K baht total). Since the max overstay fine is 20,000 baht then you could risk it and stay longer but be warned if you get caught by immigration police then you could be incarcerated and deported. Would not be fun.

You could argue your facts with immigration but seriously doubt it would make much difference at all.

my advice would be to fly out of the country and pay your overstay. if you try to go overland to leave the country and pay your overstay then there is a greater chance you might get stopped on the bus etc and your passport checked then you might be in much bigger trouble.

Try going down to Penang or over to Ventiane and get a new tourist visa which is good for 60 days plus another 30 you can extend.

That gives you some more time in country to apply for school or look for a job etc.

your overstay is currently around 30 days x 500 baht per day overstay(15K baht total). Since the max overstay fine is 20,000 baht then you could risk it and stay longer but be warned if you get caught by immigration police then you could be incarcerated and deported. Would not be fun.

You could argue your facts with immigration but seriously doubt it would make much difference at all.

forgot you have a fresh passport. Might be able to get away with no overstay. Any opinions out there? Lopburi?

maybe going to a non computerized border point is better than the airport. My impression of Mae Sai for example is that they check the computer every time. What would happen if immigration police find him with a blank passport?

Its an interesting question

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

As I understand it you are one month overstay because your passport was lost and you were unable to leave the country until your Embassy provided a new passport?

This being the case, ask your Embassy to provide you with a written statement in English and Thai to this effect and take this statement to Immigration in BKK and ask them how you should proceed. If possible take a Thai speaking friend with you and dress sensibly.

Surely you are not the first to find themselves in this situation.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were given an extension of stay there and then. However be prepared to pay any overstay fine by taking the cash with you. Tell the truth because they can always check their data base.

Use polite language not like that used in your topic title.

If asked about work, use your common sense.

With a blank passport you could be arrested if you try to exit, as illegal entry. You need to get it together and that requires you visit immigration with your police report/information of old passport and new passport. As you are also long overstay you should have a ticket out and be prepared to pay overstay fines. You can plead your case but it appears you have no case to plead if you have been working here illegally all this time. Your embassy should have already provided you advise - if not check with them first. But I believe you are going to have to do the routine at some point and the sooner the better. If you get caught by military or regular police I expect you will risk not being able to return under current conditions so if you wish to stay longer please take care of this now. It is being treated much more seriously these days it seems (from foreign government warnings).

With a blank passport you could be arrested if you try to exit, as illegal entry. You need to get it together and that requires you visit immigration with your police report/information of old passport and new passport. As you are also long overstay you should have a ticket out and be prepared to pay overstay fines. You can plead your case but it appears you have no case to plead if you have been working here illegally all this time. Your embassy should have already provided you advise - if not check with them first. But I believe you are going to have to do the routine at some point and the sooner the better. If you get caught by military or regular police I expect you will risk not being able to return under current conditions so if you wish to stay longer please take care of this now. It is being treated much more seriously these days it seems (from foreign government warnings).

dont worry too much dude. here's what to do: u get ur embassy to issue a letter to the effect that ur new passport couldn't have been issued at an earlier date. same thing happened to me in 1987 during the songkran holiday and immigration was closed for three days. for insurance purposes u make sure that a) u have a valid air ticket out of thailand in ur hand good for the same day u go to immigration. :o u make sure u hold at least 30k thai baht, in cash, for overstay ceiling fine 20k and if need be some under the table bakshish. c) hold at least one copy of ur "lost passport report" that u filed with tourist police. best case scenario is u will get off without overstay charge, worst case is u will fly out the same day.

in my case the embassy gave me a letter addressed to the big cheese at the airport and they let me go without a squeak. also note that at the time i was not overstay.

hope this helps