UK and Thailand to hold Joint Military Exercise

webfact

UK and Thailand to hold Joint Military Exercise

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Prawit-696x521.jpg  

Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Prawit Wongsuwan meets British authorities during his trip to London from Tuesday to Friday.

BANGKOK — Thailand and the United Kingdom will launch a new joint military exercise, the Defense Ministry announced Thursday.

The agreement came from a meeting in London between Deputy Prime Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, the junta No. 2 who also serves as defense minister, and his British counterpart Michael Fallon, according to Thai ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Kongcheep Tantravanich.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/09/15/uk-thailand-hold-joint-military-exercise/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-09-15

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether Fallon has the same version.

All I can see is the British telling them to get a path to democracy. Maybe the sweetner after that is a joint exercise.

The below made me chuckle:

“Don’t write headlines that every time the government goes somewhere, we go to buy weapons,” Prayuth said Tuesday after meeting his cabinet. “It’s not that easy. We do not have that much money.”

Since it came to power, the military government has been criticized for the increased spending by the Defense Ministry. During its three years in power, it has spent more than 70 billion baht on weapons and systems for the army, navy and airforce, according to Thai PBS.

Tropical climate, good R&R locations, it will be the RAF.

2 fast jets, half a dozen transport aircraft, and a few thousand support staff to keep them in the air. Probably a Squadron of RAF Regiment (aka the Short Range Desert Group) to patrol the NAAFI car park...

Cynical, moi?

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

2 fast jets, half a dozen transport aircraft, and a few thousand support staff to keep them in the air. Probably a Squadron of RAF Regiment (aka the Short Range Desert Group) to patrol the NAAFI car park...

Cynical, moi?

I once saw an RAF Herc 'broken down' in Bali- cynical, moi?

I once saw an RAF Herc 'broken down' in Bali- cynical, moi?

Bet it wasn't the rainy season?

[emoji3]

Funny how the VC 10 on the UK - Washington DC - Belize run always packed up in DC on the return leg, especially in early December...

Crab bashing - it's in the blood.

10 minutes ago, JAG said:

Bet it wasn't the rainy season?

emoji3.png

Funny how the VC 10 on the UK - Washington DC - Belize run always packed up in DC on the return leg, especially in early December...

Crab bashing - it's in the blood.

Ha ha- I once tried to work out Belize via Iceland, gotta love 'em. 

2 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

Two small countries trying to punch above weight. What a laugh. Empire was a long time ago.

I think you will find Britain does still punch well above it's weight, G8 security member, nuclear power with one of the best trained and battle hardened forces in Europe or the world no serious adversary would take them lightly

Jag think you will find that SRDG are part of the big 3 always used to tell everyone that though unfortunately for them nobody believed them....

More hot air as this week there has been an arms trade fair in London where many countries are invited to visit to try and drum up arms sales, so this lot turned up and bought nothing so far as too expensive as can get copies much nearer home in a land called China cheaper.

End of story.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, JAG said:

Cynical, moi?

They're getting a NAAFI? Wow, I would visit that.

Back in the early 80's we made a sign for the NAAFI bar that was inside the dockyard where we were refitting:

No

Ambition

And

F<deleted>-all

Interest

It managed to stay up for about 2 weeks. Not only did that upset NAAFI but it also led the MOD police to start an investigation as to where it came from. They never found out.

Major sense of humour failure by the authorities but loved by the customers..................:thumbsup:

Not sure if the RAF would find that funny though.....................:tongue:

Can't see why the UK wants to get involved, given that the Thai military sees more action to defend itself within Thailand, than to any threat beyond the borders……. What benefit to the UK other than getting on the radar for potential arms sales?

18 hours ago, kingkenny said:

I wonder whether Fallon has the same version.

All I can see is the British telling them to get a path to democracy. Maybe the sweetner after that is a joint exercise.

The below made me chuckle:

“Don’t write headlines that every time the government goes somewhere, we go to buy weapons,” Prayuth said Tuesday after meeting his cabinet. “It’s not that easy. We do not have that much money.”

Since it came to power, the military government has been criticized for the increased spending by the Defense Ministry. During its three years in power, it has spent more than 70 billion baht on weapons and systems for the army, navy and airforce, according to Thai PBS.

The Military have a beautiful Military Strategic Studies centre in Bang Saen - looks like a holiday resort under the mountain at Laem Ten - with a landscaped park - it received the full renovation after the coup. - but Bang Saen itself has not got a park for the people of the town.......