Driving license for a tourist

canerandagio

Hi,

A friend of mine is here as a tourist and keeps coming in and out of the country on tourist visas. He wants to get a motorcycle driving license.

He has an international license for car but not for bikes.

He has a contract for the long term rental of his studio in Bangkok.

I advised him to go get a certificate or residence in Pattaya because (1) In BKK he could not get one as he is a tourist and (2) he cannot get a letter from his embassy.

My thinking is that with the certificate of residence he will be able to then get a licence in Bangkok and by a motorbike.

Does it make sense?

Will he get a certificate of residence in Pattaya with the tourist visa and with an address in Bangkok?

It's obvious that it is hard, but if someone could provide hard facts it would be great.

Thanks,

straydog

He won't get a certificate of residence in Pattaya with an address in Bangkok, but i doubt they ever verify if a rental contract is real. In Bangkok he won't get a certificate of residence as a Tourist (I don't know if he will in Pattaya). And i would assume that when he gets a certificate of residence in Pattaya he has to get his driving license there.

• 2 weeks later...

Residence certificate from Pattaya with hotel address and 250 (ish) baht

without home country licence you'll have to do the full motorcycle test at the Department of Land Transportation in Banglamung (Pattaya) next to the Regents School...beware some of the theory test questions dont make any logical sense..

(well no sense in English language)

you get 2 tries in a day if you don't get the required pass rate you'll have to come back another day....so some homework is needed.

The hardest bit in the practical test is not falling off the raised plank...and really if you fall off it maybe need to question whether a bike is a good idea.