AIS Fiber crash every 5 mins for 1 minute?

Batty

Hi there.  Just wondering if anyone had simmilar problem and found a fix?

My AIS Fibre internet is very quick but every 5 minutes it crashes and you cant use the internet for like a whole minute, but then without doing anything it just starts working again.

And it realy is a crash - i mean every 5 minutes new web pages show as off line and when it is working again i have to log back into forums or anything that requires being logged in.

Anyone have a clue what the issue is?

Best

Batty

I am tearing my hair out with AIS Fibre. For 8 months now my connection has been fabulous and stable.

10 days ago, they moved me onto a new server which hands out a different IPV4 address block and IPV6 prefix. Now, if my internet stays up longer than 5 minutes at a time then I'm lucky. 

I have extremely detailed and granular logs (down to the protocol level) that show very clearly the problem starts at the time they moved me onto the new 184.82.0.0 address range. 

To further compound the problem, they're changing my IPV6 prefix between two different prefixes almost every time my connection bounces. Now, since a network interface can have multiple IPv6 addresses, this completely breaks my IPV6 connectivity, as I have multiple servers behind my firewall that are internet accessible and configured using the previous prefix (which has a still-valid lease time). As soon as they change my prefix, these servers lose connectivity because the original prefix isn't routed by their routers anymore. And to top it all, my DNS records for all these machines are now also invalid.

The changes in the last 10 days are catastrophic. It's like I've been handed over to a new company that seems to have no idea what it's doing. I've logged repeated calls with the call centre and given them not only log files, but I've gone so far as to extract information from my Graylog log server, dump the raw data in MySql and perform join queries to show the length of time of each PPP session, the reason for termination of the session (either their end terminating the connection for no apparent reason, or failure to reply to LCP echo requests) and the modem status (SNRM) at the time of session termination. A simple glance at the results is enough to show that there is a big problem on their end.

But, most of the time the call centre staff cannot even comprehend the problem because they don't even appear to understand terms like PPPOE, LCP, etc. And their first action is to go and lower my sync speed in the profile. But my detailed (almost second by second) modem stats show no errors on the line and a perfectly acceptable SNR margin. So instead of fixing the problem, they just create a new problem (slower speed) that does nothing to help the initial problem and takes me a day or two to get them to reverse.

It's actually so bad it's farcical. If it goes on much longer I'll be looking for alternatives. I'm currently paying for a 100/100 business connection and it's not cheap....the equivalent TOT product (200/80) is about half the price....

2 hours ago, revelstone said:

The changes in the last 10 days are catastrophic. It's like I've been handed over to a new company that seems to have no idea what it's doing.

But, most of the time the call centre staff cannot even comprehend the problem because they don't even appear to understand terms like PPPOE, LCP, etc. And their first action is to go and lower my sync speed in the profile.

It's actually so bad it's farcical. If it goes on much longer I'll be looking for alternatives. I'm currently paying for a 100/100 business connection and it's not cheap....the equivalent TOT product (200/80) is about half the price....

I quoted random parts of your rant because of my feelings towards new ISP's who can't handle a flood of new customers and the IPV4/IPV6 prep that goes with it. AIS are playing the happy/unhappy customer balance right on the edge. This would be a dangerous game in any other country. They will of course succeed because Thai people have no choice but to tolerate the ********. 

If you require a business connection may I suggest you go to a less childish provider. I would have preferred to say a more mature provider but that would be far too much of a commitment in TH.

You might as well be sweaking botswanan, that was like a different language.  Its impresive though how you can pin them down with thay kinda knowledge but must be bloody anoying when there is no one there technical enough to grasp your points.  Useless.

I cant see this being dealt with, if you cant deal with it I have no chance.  I guess i am not allowed to cancel the contract now or refuse to pay every month without issues because im signed up for a year right?  Even though i am not getting regular internet there is no wah i can change providers now is there?  Not without payinf both of them every month anyway...

7 minutes ago, Batty said:

You might as well be sweaking botswanan, that was like a different language.  Its impresive though how you can pin them down with thay kinda knowledge but must be bloody anoying when there is no one there technical enough to grasp your points.  Useless.

I cant see this being dealt with, if you cant deal with it I have no chance.  I guess i am not allowed to cancel the contract now or refuse to pay every month without issues because im signed up for a year right?  Even though i am not getting regular internet there is no wah i can change providers now is there?  Not without payinf both of them every month anyway...

Just keep pestering until you get satisfaction. Exaggerate the fault if possible although I know that's not always easy with language barriers. Thai ISP street engineers carry the mother of bullshit books. Give them the same.

3 hours ago, Batty said:

I cant see this being dealt with, if you cant deal with it I have no chance.  

I'm making enough noise for both of us, to be sure. I suspect your problem may be similar to mine; it's hard to imagine I'm the only one affected since it appears to be poorly configured software on their end, so if I manage to get it sorted out then just maybe it'll help others out too.

6 hours ago, revelstone said:

I am tearing my hair out with AIS Fibre. For 8 months now my connection has been fabulous and stable.

10 days ago, they moved me onto a new server which hands out a different IPV4 address block and IPV6 prefix. Now, if my internet stays up longer than 5 minutes at a time then I'm lucky. 

I have extremely detailed and granular logs (down to the protocol level) that show very clearly the problem starts at the time they moved me onto the new 184.82.0.0 address range. 

....the equivalent TOT product (200/80) is about half the price....

Not going to rant again :-) ... But I do share your trouble and your feelings with that IPv6.

AIS and TRUE are both garbage. 

Try Sinet and 3BBB.

I have Sinet 30/10. Very good, they notice problems and fix them.

I never had to call about a problem. 

They do very early morning maintenance two times a month.

You call AIS and TRUE, it takes 2 or 3 people on the phone, and 1 hour, then a man comes to your house to fix the problem., very inefficient system.

I have heard good of 3BBB

I had a problem like that when I switched from CAT to 3BB a few years ago. 3BB installed a new (co-ax I'm presuming) line from the main one they have on Khao Noi to my house. I prepaid for a hi-speed package and right from the beginning started having connection problems. I'd be online for maybe 2 to 10 minutes and the modem would lose the connection. Wait for it to cycle through it's boot up routine (which it did automatically) and then I'd be back online. For another 2-10 minutes.

I left to go back to work (overseas) shortly after it was installed and when I returned a couple months later I was still having the same problem. I contacted 3BB and they had noticed a issue with my frequent disconnects. Tech came out and changed the modem. Didn't fix anything.

I finally gave up as it was happening 10-12 times an hour (yes, I was actually recording the times whenever it d/c'd). I think I actually figured out the problem (I'm sure it was a loose connection somewhere between my house and wherever they ran the new line to, as the d/c's seem to be more frequent when there was a breeze and the lines on the poles were swaying). I tried to explain that to one of 3BBs techs but I think it got lost in translation as I never saw them check the line and the problem never went away.

I ended up turfing 3BB and went with TRUE internet. They strung a new line as well. (Ever wonder why there are so many cables hanging from every pole on every street ?) However, with TRUE I haven't had anywhere near the problems I was having with 3BB. After about 4 years I did start having a problem with my modem (it literally fell apart one day when I was moving a desk and I started having problems with it shutting off randomly). Called TRUE and as soon as I told them the make/model of the modem they just went "yes" and sent a tech out to replace it. (Seems it was an older model that they hadn't been installing in ages and were replacing if they started having problems.)

If you account was working fine in the past and has just started acting up recently, it could be the modem is on the fritz. From my experience they (3BB and TRUE at least) are pretty good about coming out and replacing the modem (at no charge).

You may also want to look at where you have the modem located. They do heat up (a lot) and if it's in a closed in area with no air circulation (or the vents are blocked with stuff piled on top of the modem), it could be overheating and shutting down (then starting up again on it's own after it's cooled a bit as the power would still be "on").  (That's just a guess on my part, as I've had issues like that in the past with other hardware.)

I've had absolutely no problems with AIS whatsoever I'm SO GLAD I switched to AIS very good decision.  Maybe it's just the area I live in up north.  I'm assuming that most of you probably live in Pattaya and Bangkok.  Seems like Pattaya is just cursed with problems all everyone does is complain.  

1 hour ago, themerg said:

AIS and TRUE are both garbage. 

Try Sinet and 3BBB.

I have Sinet 30/10. Very good, they notice problems and fix them.

I never had to call about a problem. 

They do very early morning maintenance two times a month.

You call AIS and TRUE, it takes 2 or 3 people on the phone, and 1 hour, then a man comes to your house to fix the problem., very inefficient system.

I have heard good of 3BBB

Oh no True is definitely garbage AIS is the best thing that's ever happened to me as far as cable, phone, and internet.  

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

If you account was working fine in the past and has just started acting up recently, it could be the modem is on the fritz. From my experience they (3BB and TRUE at least) are pretty good about coming out and replacing the modem (at no charge).

I'll certainly give this a try, since I have a spare modem. 

2 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

I've had absolutely no problems with AIS whatsoever I'm SO GLAD I switched to AIS very good decision.  Maybe it's just the area I live in up north.  I'm assuming that most of you probably live in Pattaya and Bangkok.  Seems like Pattaya is just cursed with problems all everyone does is complain.  

Up until recently I've had no problems with AIS. It's just the recent craziness with IPV6 which a number of people are complaining about and my recent disconnects. 

@Batty,

Your problem  could simply be a AIS line problem...that is the AIS fiber optics/vDSL line feeding your router.  

Or, if you are connecting to the router via "Wifi" maybe you just have a terrible Wifi connection which would not be an AIS caused problem but just your Wifi connection being bad due to Wifi interference, the computer/device you are using to connect to the router has problems...like maybe a Wifi driver problem.