30 day visa on arrival flying from London to Chiang mai with Thai airways

I am flying from London to Bangkok then directly on to Chiang mai flying Thai airways all the way. Please can someone tell me where I would get my visa on arrival? Would I need to get it at Bangkok immigration, collect my luggage then transfer to a domestic flight or will my luggage go all the way and get my visa on arrival in Chiang mai? 

You apparently mean a 30 day visa exempt entry since a visa on arrival only allows a 15 day entry.

Where you will clear immigration depends upon how the flight is set up. Some international flights on Thai airways are set up such that you transit through Bangkok and clear immigration at another airport.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently mean a 30 day visa exempt entry since a visa on arrival only allows a 15 day entry.

Where you will clear immigration depends upon how the flight is set up. Some international flights on Thai airways are set up such that you transit through Bangkok and clear immigration at another airport.

Yes, if 30 days is visa exempt then that's what I require thanks. I guess they'll be able to tell me at check in.

A mate of mine did exactly what your doing same airline he cleared Immigration at Chiang Mai. However his luggage did not get to Chiang Mai for another 4 days.

When you go to check in at UK ask if its a connecting flight and will your luggage be transferred to Chiang Mai flight or do you need to collect and clear customs in BKK then proceed to domestic depatures for onward flight. If they say they transfer to onward flight make sure they put transfer ticket and Chiang Mai stickers on your suitcase. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

Yes, if 30 days is visa exempt then that's what I require thanks. I guess they'll be able to tell me at check in.

I think you didn´t really understand what Ubonjoe stated in his post. Upon arrivel when clearing the immigration, you will receive a stamp saying that you are allowed into Thailand on a VISA EXCEMPT ENTRY valid for 30 days.. THIS IS NOT A VISA.... You can later if you wish, extend this period of stay (excempt VISA) with another 30 days as well..

Good luck..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo