Hell for residents just got worse as crane collapses at Pattaya condo development

webfact

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thai urban planning at its best.

Thai corruption at it's best. Lot's of big brown envelopes in this one. Less money for the actual construction, lots of short cuts equals bigger pockets. How can this ever stop when the one's that have the power to stop it are the one's doing it.

10 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Hear hear to another bar-lawyer

Good to hear a sane voice for once. People seem to forget that countries who are good at developing had to crawl before they walked too.

Seems to me it was not so long ago that a balcony collapsed in a residence in Berkley colledge....and that is not in Thailand.

21 hours ago, johng said:

In the background of the second picture you can see some of the "unused" water treatment plant.

In Portugal I stayed in a condo development about .5km away from a sewage treatment plant....I didn't know that when I booked the condo...on days when the wind was blowing from the sewage plant...the smell was just about unbearable....I swear that you could taste it.... 

18 hours ago, Deez said:

Out of curiosity , I wonder how much it costs to "buy off" officials to bypass any safety measures? Serious question!

How ever much it is it is obviously affordable and profitable for both parties.

Remember life is cheap in Thailand, especially if it is not yours.

15 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Be a great selling point....beautiful view of turds and condoms on one side...on the other a sewerage treatment plant.

Ah . . . that's why they're called condos. And, if an Irishman bought tree of these, would the last one be his turd?

19 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Workers? This S. Sands project has been sitting dead for the last 3 years?

True, but I noticed cement trucks started going in and out during the last 2 weeks or so - don't know the particulars but thought that project was bankrupt???

17 hours ago, Awinkl said:

WHERE is that Building??

It's in Jomtien on Soi Watboon-Kanjanaram.  If you are driving from Jomtien Second Road heading toward Sukhumvit, it's on the left side of the road not far past the big fresh market and Majestic Condo.  It's called Savannah Sands.

I drive past this so called construction nearly everyday i have  mentioned to my wife that there doesn't seem to be any building going on never see trucks going in or out or people working.

To me it looks as if they have run out of money and just do a bit at a time when some money arrives.

It should be knocked down looks like a eyesore and dangerous.

1 hour ago, aussie11950 said:

I thought multi story building sites were to have debris limiting curtains, fitted around the sides.

Yes in "civilised" countries but even there accidents happen and not much is going to stop a tower crane once it falls.

19 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

True, but I noticed cement trucks started going in and out during the last 2 weeks or so - don't know the particulars but thought that project was bankrupt???

lots of cement trucks but not a lot of obvious construction eh?  Perhaps Jimmy Hoffa type of disposal operations?