Christmas Dinner

SWEYNE67

I appreciate that this has been done in the past but can someone give me an update on what's a good place in  C Mai for a traditional Christmas Day lunch.

Don't want to go to an expensive hotel and do not want a boozy pub either. Something in between about 1,000 baht per person or less that is child friendly. Seasons greetings hehehe ... bit early!!

You say you don't want a boozy pub but I am going to suggest a pub anyway.

The Red Lion

Book in advance Christmas eve and day about was 750฿ last year (including crackers and hats to wear).

Also offer items off normal menu

DSC05074.JPG

Bake n Bite do a full Christmas fare buffet style with Turkey, Hams, pork and beef and all the trimmings. Soups and desserts to start and finnish. About 750baht. Drinks extra.

Find on Google but they are off soi 4, Kaew Narawat road.

Book in advance around November as they get fully booked. 

Cheers from me

Edited by aslimversgwm
Wrong price. Mistyped

I'd also include Archers restaurant and bar for your bucket list. 133 Rachapakanai Rd near Zoe Yellow. Traditional 3-4 course Xmas lunch/dinner at a very reasonable cost, huge portions, child friendly, but book well in advance as it's a popular venue. I suggest you visit for Sunday lunch beforehand and you'll be hooked.     

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d1556900-Reviews-Archer_s-Chiang_Mai.html#photos;geo=293917&detail=1556900&aggregationId=101

24 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Traditional for whom? Different nationalities would have a different interpretation of what's included and how it's prepared to merit the "traditional" label.

59c08f1c40d0b_chinese-food-jews-5(1).jpg.cdcae893e275d5c83185daf8c9a08b36.jpg

Exactly, having roasts and plum pudding in a hot climate is ridiculous.

My favourite Christmas lunch or dinner in the Australian summer was fresh-cooked cold crayfish from King Island, salad, and a Margaret River classic dry white. Rum and raisin icecream for dessert if I had room.

Edited by bazza73
Dessert

7 hours ago, alant said:

The Red Lion

Book in advance Christmas eve and day about was 750฿ last year (including crackers and hats to wear).

DSC05074.JPG

Went here for Saint Patricks and it was awesome. I would check The River Market Restaurant to see what they have planned at Christmas. I went to the Fourth of July celebration there and had the best 4th meal ever.

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

My favourite Christmas lunch or dinner in the Australian summer was fresh-cooked cold crayfish from King Island, salad, and a Margaret River classic dry white. Rum and raisin icecream for dessert if I had room.

After a morning at the beach.

8 hours ago, alant said:

The Red Lion

DSC05074.JPG

Thanks for posting that. If I ever have the misfortune to have to go to Chaing Mai I will be sure to avoid this place. Flat cap....really?? Is this a scene from Eastenders?

And people knock the Chinese for going to Chinese shops and eating Chinese food when in Thailand.

Edited by tryasimight

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Thanks for posting that. If I ever have the misfortune to have to go to Chaing Mai I will be sure to avoid this place. Flat cap....really?? Is this a scene from Eastenders?

And people knock the Chinese for going to Chinese shops and eating Chinese food when in Thailand.

What are you expecting, dining out with the aristocracy?

2 main western restaurants that do a Christmas dinner in Chiang Mai. The Pub (opposite Maya mall) and the Red Lion seen in the picture.

The Pub is designed like a typical English pub, it`s old, it smells of mildew and the social atmosphere is practically non-existent.  The Red Lion is so, so, but it`s very touristy. You`ll will be hard pushed to find a restaurant in Chiang Mai that`s provides a Christmas fair just like the ones you used to know, where the treetops glisten and children listen. Here`s an idea. Buy a microwave roast dinner meal for 149 baht in the Rimping, buy a Christmas tree from Tesco Lotus and have a nice Christmas at home with the family. That`s what I do every year.

Had lunch at Yummy today, Toni confirms Christmas dinner on 25th.

Turkey is still a problem. He has 10 on order from one source and has made enquires with Macro.

Last year he had 165 covers in 3 sittings, which made for a great deal of work.

B750 is what he is asking, half in deposit on booking, same as last year.

Shot of my, Lamb Shank, today at Yummy.

Rob is also searching for turkeys and confirms 23rd, B499, half on booking as deposit.

I think we have a Yank celebration due so the Turkey story may enlighten us more.

john

P_20170921_105459.jpg

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

"that photo looks like the stew i was served 

when in jail in oz"

Yeap don't see why not. Toni is a Digger of Italian extraction, so his Lamb Shank is a POSH stew and very tasty.

john

Looks like the food in Australian jails is way better than LOS.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:11 AM, BawBae said:

No mention of The Dukes. Telling.

Dukes is busy fine tuning their Thanksgiving and Christmas menu.  A couple weeks ago they had a "special" that looked wonderful -- a turkey sandwich with all the trimmings, available for just a limited time and only at their original restaurant by the river.  This special sold out before I could get over there to purchase it.   I recently inquired about the source of the turkey and learned they are bringing in "sample turkeys" to determine their source of bird for the upcoming holidays.  

• 1 month later...

Don't forget Christmas here is "Winter". Back in Perth it would be 40 for sure. The Margaret River crisp dry white is a must...but alas, here it's a tad more expensive. A nice Mad Fish or Leewin Estate chardy would hit the spot. Merry Xmas [emoji485][emoji485]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...