I'm thinking of exploring Southern Thailand.

The manic

45 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

You will see this after dark at walking street Pattaya. its just the easiest option

I live in Pattaya. I wish to explore South Thailand in the way I explore Issan and other areas of Asia. The good life. Wine, women, song, colour, music. food, theatre, culture, festivals, celebration of life. If you have nothing to offer please go away. I know you are trying to be clever....but it does not suit you.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's full of Muslims and mosques; judging by your previous posts would suggest you stay away.

Well that is interesting advice. I did wonder about the density of mosques and the intensity of Islamlic beliefs. Can you say anything positive to reccomend it? Or is it really as sh*ty as you suggest? My friends tell me there are good beaches, areas of natural beauty, interesting food, good people and good potential for hanky panky. Let me know what you, or anybody, thinks.

For all the mosques there seems to be as many Chinese temples competing to see who can make the most noise (I noticed this in Hat Yai).

Don't know how far south you want to go but I liked Surat Thani a lot. The 20 somethings and their ATM size backpacks don't linger there - they treat it as a departure point only and shoot through to the islands, Samui et al. Which leaves the whole town to yourself - great street food and friendly locals - they almost look shocked that you choose to hang around there and not follow the sheep.

Not sure about potential for other things as you put it, but I'd imagine anywhere near a border crossing would be a hotspot.

12 minutes ago, aircooledflat4 said:

For all the mosques there seems to be as many Chinese temples competing to see who can make the most noise. Don't know how far south you want to go but I liked Surat Thani a lot. The 20 somethings and their ATM size backpacks don't linger there - they treat it as a departure point only and shoot through to the islands, Samui et al. Which leaves the whole town to yourself - great street food and friendly locals - they're almost look shocked that you choose to hang around there and not follow the sheep.

Not sure about potential for other things as you put it, but I'd imagine anywhere near a border crossing would be a hotspot.

Thanks for your reply. I've been to ST in the long ago past but never thought of it as 'South And I've been to Had Yai.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 1:25 AM, The manic said:

Well that is interesting advice. I did wonder about the density of mosques and the intensity of Islamlic beliefs. Can you say anything positive to reccomend it? Or is it really as sh*ty as you suggest? My friends tell me there are good beaches, areas of natural beauty, interesting food, good people and good potential for hanky panky. Let me know what you, or anybody, thinks.

Mosque isnt as dense as you think. There are Thai and Chinese temples along the way.

The red zones are still very pure, full of natural resources. The people hardly speak Thai (newer generation do). Most are very helpful. The bombing/terrorist area are the outer part of city. There's almost nothing going on in the city of Pattanai, Yala or Naratiwat.

Some portion of the Muslims think and wish that they are Malaysian. if you try to visit the area, dont judge, just learn. If you are curious about their culture then go for it.

• 1 month later...

Archived