30 day overstay due to dengue. Urgent advice required please.

Over the last month, I have had dengue fever followed by a scooter accident, and as a result have overstayed my tourist visa by 30 days. I am planning to fly out of the country tomorrow and try to explain this to the border guards. Can anyone give me a clear idea of what might happen (other than having to pay the 30 day overstay fee?) Is there a good chance they will prevent me from reapplying for another tourist visa? Is there any chance they will deport me? 

I do not have any hospital records to prove that I was sick. I was taken care of by friends.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Thank you for the quick reply. 

I just spoke to a local lawyer and she said that there is a chance I was would get an overstay stamp in my passport and this would affect my next visa application. She said that if I paid 30,000 Bht she could 'fix things' at samui immigration for me. 

I dont really want to spend 15000 extra if I dont have to, which is why i would really like advice from someone who knows the actual situation for a 30 day overstay. 

I cannot speak personally but there have been many here with overstay stamps who have successfully returned without problems. If you choose to pay someone 30K to bribe an official to avoid a stamp that is your business.

There is no ban for 30 day overstay...only 90 days or above.

Edited by tonray

2 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

I dont really want to spend 15000 extra if I dont have to, which is why i would really like advice from someone who knows the actual situation for a 30 day overstay. 

Others have gotten visas after a much longer overstay than you have. Embassies and consulate don't seem to worry about them.

A little late but you could of gotten an extension for medical treatment instead of going onto a overstay.

4 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

Do you know if it would it be better for me to go to Samui immigration and explain the situation and pay the fine, or would it be better to get a flight out of the country and pay at the border? 

Immigration would not let you pay the fine unless applied for an extension and paid 1900 baht for a denied extension and be given 7 days to leave the country.

IMO it is best to pay the fine at at an airport on departure from the country.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

do not have any hospital records to prove that I was sick.

that sounds very strange; what hospital doesnt keep records, prescriptions ? surely they didnt admit you for dengue without id;

might be a case where whomever you were asking to ask the hospital perhaps didnt speak the right thai or they were rude, etc

Edited by YetAnother

7 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

that sounds very strange; what hospital doesnt keep records, prescriptions ? surely they didnt admit you for dengue without id;

might be a case where whomever you were asking to ask the hospital perhaps didnt speak the right thai or they were rude, etc

He implied that he did not receive care from professionals and his friends nursed him

44 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

I just spoke to a local lawyer and she said that there is a chance I was would get an overstay stamp in my passport and this would affect my next visa application. She said that if I paid 30,000 Bht she could 'fix things' at samui immigration for me. 

Your Lawyer is trying to rip you off and is giving you BS advice about your next visa application, also there is not a "chance" you will get a O/S stamp in your Passport because you will get one

Pay the overstay and take the stamp, you should have no issues in getting another visa in the same Passport in the future, if you are that concerned you could consider getting a new Passport before applying for your next visa at the Embassy/Consulate

Edited by darrendsd

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:
52 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

do not have any hospital records to prove that I was sick.

If you didnt use selective quoting you would have the answevto your question. Answered bybthe OP himself right after the bit you selectivley quoted.

54 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

I do not have any hospital records to prove that I was sick. I was taken care of by friends.

Get off Samui and to immigration at a departure point before the lawyer bubbles you for overstay now she has lost her 30k bung.

Dress well, shave, don't stink of booze and be contrite and polite when sorting it out on departure.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Which bit of this did you fail to comprehend?

"I do not have any hospital records to prove that I was sick. I was taken care of by friends."

1 hour ago, monkeymind said:

under 90 days no ban.

it is an overstay and you will get an overstay stamp, which should not affect the issuance of a new visa. the overstay stamp simply shows you paid and are "legit"

there is no reason to pay the lawyer.

Edited by HooHaa

1 hour ago, monkeymind said:

Ok thanks once again. 

Do you know if it would it be better for me to go to Samui immigration and explain the situation and pay the fine, or would it be better to get a flight out of the country and pay at the border? 

go straight to the airport. do not go to immigration first

• Like 1

Thank you for all the very useful help. I'm female, and I dont drink, so I definitely wont stink of booze and hopefully I don't need to shave :)

Permit me one more question if you will... ? In the worst case scenario, if I flew to KL tomorrow to reapply and was denied, would I have to fly home to the UK to apply for a new passport?

15 minutes ago, monkeymind said:

Thank you for all the very useful help. I'm female, and I dont drink, so I definitely wont stink of booze and hopefully I don't need to shave :)

Permit me one more question if you will... ? In the worst case scenario, if I flew to KL tomorrow to reapply and was denied, would I have to fly home to the UK to apply for a new passport?

You should be ok but others will advise

After a overstay of 30 days it would be highly advisable to have 20,000 Baht cash ready to show Immigration when you return to Thailand

• Like 1

9 hours ago, monkeymind said:

In the worst case scenario, if I flew to KL tomorrow to reapply and was denied, would I have to fly home to the UK to apply for a new passport?

There is no need for a new passport.

Kuala Lumpur, historically, has not been a good place to apply for visas. There are some indications that they may have eased up a bit recently, but other locations are a better bet. First choices would possibly be Vientiane, Penang, Ho Chi Minh City or Hong Kong.

For the most part, your concern is not whether you will be able to get visas in the future. It is that the overstay is noted in immigration's system and, while you will not be blacklisted from the country, you may be subjected to increased scrutiny on entry. That is especially the case if you have been living in Thailand on tourist entries. In that case, fly out of Thailand, but arrange to return by land. One way of doing this would be to fly to Vientiane, get the visa there, and return via the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, monkeymind said:

Regarding your comment about returning to the UK to get a new passport.... Don't bother.... The moment you hand the new passport to the Thai IO on arrival, and they scan it into the system, your new and old passports will be automatically linked (within seconds), so the IO will see your overstay details.