A sex worker admits selling sex to feed family despite knowing she has HIV

webfact

A sex worker admits selling sex to feed family despite knowing she has HIV

By Thai PBS

pros.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An HIV-positive sex worker has admitted that she entered the sex trade in order to feed five additional mouths although she was fully aware of the virus in her which can be transmitted to her male patrons.

In an interview with Thai PBS, the woman whose identity was kept confidential, however, claimed that she always told her clients to wear condom although she did not disclose that she has HIV.

The woman she was married to her husband and lived in Pran Kratai district of Kamphaeng Phet.  They had three children.  When her husband died of Aids, she knew that she was infected too.

Without the only breadwinner and with three children and her two elderly parents who she had to feed, the woman said she had no other alternatives but to go into sex trade.

Having worked in the sex trade in various provinces, she said she did not tell her clients directly that she is HIV-positive, but she would urge them to wear condom, but not everyone obeyed her.

“When clients refused to wear condoms, I would asked them whether they were afraid of getting diseases or not.  Some asked what were the diseases and I said HIV/Aids.  They said they were not afraid, but I would insist them to wear the condoms,” the woman recalled.

She disclosed that most of her clients were reluctant to wear condoms. 

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sex-worker-admits-selling-sex-feed-family-despite-knowing-hiv/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-21
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

treatment is now good and fairly affordable so most people if they get the correct treatment can live relatively normal lives. i think it was common knowledge before this was the case that a lot of girls that weren't already sex workers but caught HIV entered the sex trade in order to fund the drugs as they were so expensive. i believe this girl is lying if when she says she would refuse more money to have sex without condoms. that said anyone having sex with a sex worker or even casual sex without protection really needs their heads testing as well as their blood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheGhostWithin said:

From the moment the blood was taken until the results were given 2 hours later, I can say that it was the most unsettling and scary feeling I can ever remember having. Not because I had made a mistake, but because I knew that the wrong words on that paper would change my entire life, my families lives, and the lives of others.

Can do it a few times in different places and will know for sure if the words on that paper are right or wrong...

1 hour ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Part of the problem is the fear I would expect.

Until recently, I had never had an HIV test. Infact, I had been sexually active for 16 years. Never shown any symptoms (and yes, I read up on them because I am very aware and afraid of these things).

As a young man, I met ladies in shopping malls, clubs etc. and always used protection. But it lingers in ones' mind - condoms are not a guarantee of being free of infection. I too am aware that many men, Thai and Farang alike do not like to use condoms.

A recent cosmetic surgery prompted me to have an HIV test done at a very reputable hospital, and to put it frankly I was absolutely petrified. From the moment the blood was taken until the results were given 2 hours later, I can say that it was the most unsettling and scary feeling I can ever remember having. Not because I had made a mistake, but because I knew that the wrong words on that paper would change my entire life, my families lives, and the lives of others.

For any young person from a fairly restrictive and conservative family (of which many Farang and Thai families are), it is simply the fear of the wrong diagnoses which I suspect leaves many undiagnosed.

Many of us even into our 50''s and 60''s have been exactly there.  It is not just the province of the young. (But not necessarily because we were having cosmetic surgery.) 555.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moondoggie said:

I never use a condom. hiv is very hard for a man to get from a woman. Its a gay mans disease.

Mr moondoggie I believe you are giving misleading information here. Any exchange of body fluids would have high risk of infection of HIV. So if you insert your little john in the pussy which has moist body fluid that carries HIV virus you risk getting infection, although you may have to do it several times for the successful infection to take place.

It's easier for Gay to be infected because they do a lot very rough sometimes violent movement which bruise the skin of the genitals so the risk is 100 percent higher for virus to penetrate the skin and enter the blood stream.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

The most pathetic, homophobic, misinformed, utter garbage i have had the total displeasure to read in a long long time.

Yeah and I guess he also believes that the only thing to do, if he gets it, is to have more unprotected sex, until it goes away ;-)

• Like 1

Far as I am aware, nobody in the history of HIV / aids had ever passed on the virus if their viral count is undetecable and on medication.  Wearing a condom or not would make little difference in this case. 

That said, there are now far worse things out there than HIV that cannot be treated - a strain of the clap that anti-biotics cannot cure for insta

55 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

Thai nationals can get HIV meds in their home province under the 30 baht health care scheme, they normally get 3 months at a time so the meds work out at 10 baht a month,

Any nationality can here in  Bangkok:

http://en.trcarc.org/Homepage/?page_id=14

and here in Pattaya:

http://okwecare.com/

for between 1000 - 1500 baht a month.

Most people on HIV meds live Completely normal lives, and due to a 6 monthly checkup that can highlight other conditions into old age in some cases HIV+ people with proper healthcare can actually have longer life spans than negative people.

Once on meds an HIV+ persons viral load drops to a level so low it is considered undetectable and a positive person can no longer transmit the disease to others even with unprotected sex, and can even father or mother healthy negative kids.

Unfortunately there is a lot of miss information and fear  that prevents people of all nationalities getting tested and getting treated.

This is very evident in this thread hence my post.

@ 'the ghostwithin' I am happy you tested negative but a positive result would not have affected your whole life and the life of your family.

@ 'moondoggie' how hard it is to get HIV is more to do with the viral load of the person you are having sex with, if you had unprotected sex with someone with 1 million copies in their blood it would not matter if they were male of female, you would have a high chance of being infected. If they had a lower viral load it would be harder to get infected.

I hope my post can help someone and the woman in the story gets the help she needs to live a healthy and good life for her and her family.

A man having vaginal sex with a woman infected with hiv. Has a 1 in 2500 chance of contracting the disease. That means if you have unprotected sex with 2500 infected women, you might get it. Anal with a man is much, much higher risk. Thats why so many gays have it.

Edited by moondoggie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Part of the problem is the fear I would expect.

Until recently, I had never had an HIV test. Infact, I had been sexually active for 16 years. Never shown any symptoms (and yes, I read up on them because I am very aware and afraid of these things).

As a young man, I met ladies in shopping malls, clubs etc. and always used protection. But it lingers in ones' mind - condoms are not a guarantee of being free of infection. I too am aware that many men, Thai and Farang alike do not like to use condoms.

A recent cosmetic surgery prompted me to have an HIV test done at a very reputable hospital, and to put it frankly I was absolutely petrified. From the moment the blood was taken until the results were given 2 hours later, I can say that it was the most unsettling and scary feeling I can ever remember having. Not because I had made a mistake, but because I knew that the wrong words on that paper would change my entire life, my families lives, and the lives of others.

For any young person from a fairly restrictive and conservative family (of which many Farang and Thai families are), it is simply the fear of the wrong diagnoses which I suspect leaves many undiagnosed.

I can understand the fear, I have never had a HIV test and just the thought of getting the test freaks me out. I haven't been perfect with using protection in my history either, though I have been in the last 18-24 months. 

As for the article, it's crazy to me that people would use prostitutes and not use protection, or insist on not using it. I would go into freak out mode at the faintest cough or stuffy nose if I had been having unprotected sex with hookers.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

@ 'moondoggie' how hard it is to get HIV is more to do with the viral load of the person you are having sex with, if you had unprotected sex with someone with 1 million copies in their blood it would not matter if they were male of female, you would have a high chance of being infected. If they had a lower viral load it would be harder to get infected.

Of course the virus load is most important for the infection risk, but also is the sexual practice is important.

As far as I know the highest risk exist if anal sex is practiced.

Heterosexual men have a lower infection risk than women if they don't practice anal sex. But they also have a risk.