Never Again King Power - Suvarnabhumi Ripoff

MyFriend You

On 9/25/2017 at 7:14 AM, mtls2005 said:

Magic Point Food Court (Floor 1, land-side, door #9-10) has (nearly) "local" prices.

Yes, similar experience as well although believe the local volume is 700 mL? I've seen this for 3,800 THB/700 mL in some shops, and King Power has a Reserve Cask (1 L) for 2,450, while they do show the 18Y in their catalog (70 mL) for 2,800. Select Cask (1 L) is 1,950. The "Select" and "Reserve" are for "travel markets", like DF.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:33 AM, Ahab said:

1000 ml of Glenfiddick, 18 years old was 2200 baht at the duty free in swampy. At Tops in Buriram a 750ml bottle of the same is 4200 baht. I think the swampy price is a deal, a very good deal.

I found good value in TPE (Taipei Tawian). 15 yr. Glenfiddich 1L was USD$44. 

I checked Big C in Pattaya, 15yr. Glenfiddich 70 cl was 3559b. 3875b for Glenlivet 15yr. 70CL at Big C.

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, Travel2003 said:

Duty Free, or extra duty?

Probably duty free but extra profit.

Duty free simply means the vendor -- and hence the shopper -- doesn't pay some/all of the import duties applied to items brought into the country.  There's nothing to forbid them from adding an equal, or higher, amount on as added profit.

I can recommend the Malaysian Island of Langkawi for duty free. The entire island had DF status and there are DF shops all over the place, not just the airport.

Johnny Walker Red Label for US$9 a litre and dirt cheap cigarettes. Need to show your passport when buying, limited to 5L of spirits and 200 ciggies per month and no sales to muslims. You need to spend 48 hours on the island and normal allowances apply if taking purchases into the rest of Malaysia.An alcoholics paradise.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:23 PM, wpcoe said:

Probably duty free but extra profit.

Duty free simply means the vendor -- and hence the shopper -- doesn't pay some/all of the import duties applied to items brought into the country.  There's nothing to forbid them from adding an equal, or higher, amount on as added profit.

Ehmmmmm, kind of knew that already.

Tried to make a silly joke in regards to the duty free issue.

It  did not work, So solly.

:smile:

On 9/24/2017 at 9:33 AM, Ahab said:

1000 ml of Glenfiddick, 18 years old was 2200 baht at the duty free in swampy. At Tops in Buriram a 750ml bottle of the same is 4200 baht. I think the swampy price is a deal, a very good deal.

$63 - $143 around the world. Singapore wins:

http://www.dutyfreeaddict.com/search#/singapore/alcohol/glenfiddich/glenfiddich-18-yrs-old-1l

15 minutes ago, bubba said:

I don't recall having seen Saeng Som at King Power Duty Free, but to be honest I do not go shopping for bargains on Saeng Som.

We are not talking about bargains, I just wanted to give you ONE example of alcohol that is more expensive at King Power than at any 7/11 in the country.

And since Saeng Som is considered a traditional Thai liquor I can imagine it is purchased a lot a "duty free" king power.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:03 PM, pattsman42 said:

I can recommend the Malaysian Island of Langkawi for duty free. The entire island had DF status and there are DF shops all over the place, not just the airport.

Johnny Walker Red Label for US$9 a litre and dirt cheap cigarettes. Need to show your passport when buying, limited to 5L of spirits and 200 ciggies per month and no sales to muslims. You need to spend 48 hours on the island and normal allowances apply if taking purchases into the rest of Malaysia.An alcoholics paradise.

Good to know. I have used Labuan which is another Malaysian duty-free island territory for a very wide range of quality, genuine and cheap alcohol, including wines as well as cigars.

Archived