Helmet Checks - Green Book Requirement Again ?

freedomnow

So after many motorbike checks last 1-2 years and going through no problem (one of CMs minor headaches), I'd not been asked for the green book until today. Are they asking for it again in CM now ?

At check-point..

License -  OK

Tax disc - OK

Helmet -  OK

He couldn't tip me upside down on those 3, so I got the green book request for the first time in about 2 years + and never had it in the bike..because, if the bike is stolen, the thief would have that inside. Tried to fine me on that lack of documentation, and I just refused to budge on principle that he was just taking advantage, until the senior just waved me on.

Is a photocopy or photograph of the green book acceptable with these guys if they are now requesting this again ?

It was that check-point on superhighway near Central Festival and from memory, that lot are a bit dodgy trying to get a fine payment anyway they can.

Edited by freedomnow

The gang opposite Central Festival is the worst. They were checking me a few weeks ago and ticked a guy (tourist) for not having a helmet even though he had a helmet. They claimed his helmet wasn't good enough. It looked like a skateboarding helmet or action sport type, which is leaps and bounds better than the 150b crap sold here. Didn't matter, he got a ticket. 

Those guys are also dangerous, running out onto the highway in front of people. Third World police in action right there.  May they be hit by a drunk driving cement truck.

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Before I pay them I want to see the official law on the book.

This Thailaaan. I pooleeeet. Must to pay moneeee!

Just make sure to grab your keys when you stop. Those cnuts love taking keys out of your bike when you start debating.

23 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

A photo copy was accepted last time they asked for it.

For rented motorbikes in Pattaya it is common practice to have laminated copies under the seat.

Long ago a mate was fined for not having his blue book for the car with him.

As I understood photocopies would have been OK.

I have photocopies with me.

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The gang opposite Central Festival is the worst. They were checking me a few weeks ago and ticked a guy (tourist) for not having a helmet even though he had a helmet. They claimed his helmet wasn't good enough. It looked like a skateboarding helmet or action sport type, which is leaps and bounds better than the 150b crap sold here. Didn't matter, he got a ticket. 

Those guys are also dangerous, running out onto the highway in front of people. Third World police in action right there.  May they be hit by a drunk driving cement truck.

Last time I forgot they live there and flipped a U turn and then drove on the broken sidewalk back. Yes they are the description of crap.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For rented motorbikes in Pattaya it is common practice to have laminated copies under the seat.

Long ago a mate was fined for not having his blue book for the car with him.

As I understood photocopies would have been OK.

I have photocopies with me.

Show me the law in the books and then I will cater. Otherwise nope, aunt gonna risk it as the up to date sticker is enough

Section  66.
  Any  person  driving  a  vehicle  without  producing  driving license and a photocopy of vehicle registration certificate under section 42 shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one thousand Baht.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Other translations differ slightly.

If you insist I will search for the original Thai text tomorrow.

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Other translations differ slightly.

If you insist I will search for the original Thai text tomorrow.

I think I'll be keeping a photocopy with the bike then.

if you have the Section 66 text in Thai from the original, that would be great....

Edited by freedomnow

4 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

The young female officer was annoyed when I eventually produced it.

john

I know...ANNOYED that they never had an opportunity to RAKE YOUR WALLET.

Their new big money maker seems to be the new check just after Thapae Gate getting all the short-term tourists in the nets.

About 1 hour ago I got stopped at the notorious Lanna Golf course checkpoint. For some reason I had a gut feeling they would have both sides of the road 'blocked' and they didn't disappoint.

I thought I had everything in order but alas the road tax was expired. Dammit!  I said I'll pay at the station...no problems there. I asked what if I get stopped at another checkpoint as they retained my drivers licence.

Nice policeman said, no problem you show this ticket. Good for 7 days he said.  

Well I'm going to get my monies worth and drive around town for the next 6 days without current road tax.  The missus said she will take the ticket in and pay the 200 baht fine instead of me having to pay 400 baht fine.

This time I was in the wrong.....still a pain in the asre and those checkpoints will continue to annoy all.

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I know...ANNOYED that they never had an opportunity to RAKE YOUR WALLET.

Their new big money maker seems to be the new check just after Thapae Gate getting all the short-term tourists in the nets.

What is the deal  with the farang guy dressed in police uniform at that check point??

It's getting ridiculous around the moat, there are sometimes 3-4 checkpoints somewhere around the circumference.

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Do the "reputable" Motor Bike rental companies provide a copy of the green book with the bike or does the copy of "rental agreement" cover that?

They will know not to ask for the green book based on the rental stickers on the bike, but unless this green book request is coming back again, it just looks like 1-off opportunism at the Central Festival checkpoint.

It would be great if I had Section 66 of that law in Thai as a screenshot on my phone as back-up in case they then say "sorry sorry, need original book".

Edited by freedomnow

19 hours ago, cmsally said:

What is the deal  with the farang guy dressed in police uniform at that check point??

It's getting ridiculous around the moat, there are sometimes 3-4 checkpoints somewhere around the circumference.

He has been discussed about before...volunteer to bridge any misunderstandings / "hot headed foreigner situations" I think.

This would seem to be an OK version of the 2522 Vehicle Act

2522 Vehicle Act

go down to section 66

มาตรา 66   ผู้ใดขับรถโดยไม่แสดงใบอนุญาตขับรถ และ สำเนาภาพถ่ายใบคู่มือจดทะเบียนรถ ตามมาตรา 42   ต้องระวางโทษปรับไม่เกินหนึ่งพันบาท

I have put in bold , it says quite clearly " COPY OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION"

On 9/21/2017 at 5:39 PM, freedomnow said:

So after many motorbike checks last 1-2 years and going through no problem (one of CMs minor headaches), I'd not been asked for the green book until today. Are they asking for it again in CM now ?

At check-point..

License -  OK

Tax disc - OK

Helmet -  OK

He couldn't tip me upside down on those 3, so I got the green book request for the first time in about 2 years + and never had it in the bike..because, if the bike is stolen, the thief would have that inside. Tried to fine me on that lack of documentation, and I just refused to budge on principle that he was just taking advantage, until the senior just waved me on.

Is a photocopy or photograph of the green book acceptable with these guys if they are now requesting this again ?

It was that check-point on superhighway near Central Festival and from memory, that lot are a bit dodgy trying to get a fine payment anyway they can.

They're looking to collect a bribe. never pay cash on the spot, always insist on a ticket in exchange for your licence.

19 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Do the "reputable" Motor Bike rental companies provide a copy of the green book with the bike or does the copy of "rental agreement" cover that?

Only helmet and licence checks on rental bikes .........