GSB launches "Street Food Loans" to upgrade street food vendors

webfact

GSB launches "Street Food Loans" to upgrade street food vendors

BANGKOK, 22 September 2017 (NNT) - The Government Savings Bank (GSB) is organizing Thailand Street Food By GSB in Soi Ari Samphan, with "Street Food Loans" catered toward hawkers and restaurant owners. 

GSB Director Chatchai Phayuhanaweechai discloses that the GSB has organized a Memorandum of Understanding signing ceremony with five partner organizations namely the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Department of Health, Industrial Development Foundation, National Food Institute, and Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University under the Thailand Street Food By GSB project. 

The event is held in Soi Ari Samphan from September 21 to 30, intending to upgrade street food vendors and develop the potential of small-scale entrepreneurs. 

The GSB has also prepared "Street Food Loans" worth 10 billion baht, with a monthly interest rate capped between 0.4-0.6 percent. 

The program targets hawkers and restaurant owners who will be granted 200,000 – 250,000 baht and 3 million baht, respectively.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-09-22

This is economic illiteracy. There isn't some limited fixed number of food vendors. 

Start giving free money from the magic money-tree to food vendors and the government will very quickly discover that there are 100x more food vendors who need restaurant loans.

If all you need to do is open up shop, and the free money comes pouring in -- who wouldn't do that?

And if they start restricting who is eligible for the free money, then what problem has been solved exactly?

... And when loans don't get paid back? The would-be restauranteurs do what? ... Open up a food cart!

38 minutes ago, JohnLick said:

I love food vendors in Bangkok. Most of them amazing, lovely people.

But I don't think giving them loans is help, quite the opposite.

I agree with you there, all it will do is put the vendor,s in debt and that will

put added pressure on them.

Archived