One killed, 2 badly injured as bus leaves 2km trail of destruction

rooster59

One killed, 2 badly injured as bus leaves 2km trail of destruction

By The Nation

A trooper working part-time as a taxi motorcyclist was killed and two other persons were severely injured when a Bangkok-Rayong bus crashed into five vehicles on a road in Chon Buri on Saturday morning.

Pol Capt Somwang Phophan, deputy inspector of Mueang Chon Buri police station, said the accident happened at 6.30am on Sukhumvit Road near the intersection that links to Panas Nikhom district.

Somwang said the bus crashed into three motorcycles, a passenger van and a company employee van and left a two-kilometre trail before stopping.

The bus driver fled the scene and his helper, who initially claimed to be the driver, told police that the bus’s brake system malfunctioned.

Passengers told police the driver had fled and the person who surrendered, Pongpat Phuphaploy, 27, was a helper.

Somwang said Sgt Watana Ngampradit, a trooper from the 21st Infantry Division, was killed while he was working part time as a taxi motorcyclist.

Two unidentified people, a man and a woman, were severely injured when the bus also hit their bikes.

Police are now launching a manhunt for the bus driver.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327477

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-23

31 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Two kilometers is a very long distance, even with zero brakes. One would turn off the engine and use it's compression to brake and stop the bus. If one were a professional driver and not stoned.

imo many stoned drivers would handle the situation better, that is if they better intellectual development.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Big thanks to The Nation for not disclosing what bus company was operating this bus.

Afterall, why would anyone want to know what bus left a 2 km trail of destruction and had its bus driver flee the scene of a fatal crash.

:bah::bah::bah:

They probably don't have any idea, some lackey with a can of spray paint has been to the site and covered the logo before the dust settled.

My condolences to the troopers family. Don't what the law is regarding troopers do extra work but I would guess that he shouldn't have been there. Well, if the bus had already crashed into the bikes it must have been slowed a little and as damage was already done why not steer it toward a wall, post...or was the steering faulty too?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't ALL large trucks, buses, etc, have air brakes,  i.e. the air pressure is used to release the brakes.  If the air compressor or engine fails,  mechanical springs automatically close the brakes   I'd imagine on a 6 wheel bus, that would mean 6 mechanical brakes would have to fail.  I think it's been that way for 30 or more years in the u.s.a.   Thus 'brake failure' is really impossible.

19 minutes ago, chingching said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't ALL large trucks, buses, etc, have air brakes,  i.e. the air pressure is used to release the brakes.  If the air compressor or engine fails,  mechanical springs automatically close the brakes   I'd imagine on a 6 wheel bus, that would mean 6 mechanical brakes would have to fail.  I think it's been that way for 30 or more years in the u.s.a.   Thus 'brake failure' is really impossible.

Not entirely true, if the brake shoes are too far out of adjustment, ie badly mentained, with all the will in world them shoes aint gonna reach the drum, especially when the drum gets hot and expands even more.

1 hour ago, chingching said:

Brake failure in Thai means brain failure, ie I fell asleep 

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Not entirely true, if the brake shoes are too far out of adjustment, ie badly mentained, with all the will in world them shoes aint gonna reach the drum, especially when the drum gets hot and expands even more.

1) Drums do not get hot if brake shoes are not in contact with them.

2) If shoes were not contacting drums at all, I doubt the guy would have left the station as he would have had no brakes.

3) This accident likely has nothing to do with the condition of the brakes.

9 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

2) If shoes were not contacting drums at all, I doubt the guy would have left the station as he would have had no brakes.

Metal against metal (no brake pads left) will not stop anything. They will, however heat the drums to cherry red temperatures, further exacerbating the problem as the metal against metal turns into a grinder & metal is shaved away as well as heated and expanded.

I think that was the OP's point?

PROBABLY, (my guess) is that the driver was on some kind of speed/drugs/drunk & hadn't slept for a very long time, hence the runner and the 2 km long "accident".

Edited by jaywalker

7 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

You are wrong! When leaving the depot the shoes will be cool, after some usage (depending on the severity of usage, going down hills etc) the drums will get so hot the shoes cannot possibly touch the drums as the S cams will have reached their limit. 

What makes you so knowledgeable? I have served my time as a hgv/plant mechanic and ran my own haulage company for 20 years, your creds?

Google brake fade.

Edited by vogie

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are wrong! When leaving the depot the shoes will be cool, after some usage (depending on the severity of usage, going down hills etc) the drums will get so hot the shoes cannot possibly touch the drums as the S cams will have reached their limit. 

What makes you so knowledgeable? I have served my time as a hgv/plant mechanic and ran my own haulage company for 20 years, your creds?

Google brake fade.

Take it easy. The OP makes some valid points for consideration.

The driver was high/drunk & it could never be his fault. That's all that matters to the press.

I was in the heavy duty truck business for 30+ years myself.

Brake fade I agree, could have/probably may have contributed.

In my 40+ years I have yet to encounter a 2 km "accident" that could be blamed on anything other than a stone cold drunk driver.

Here is an accident.

22732860_BG1.jpg

7 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Take it easy. The OP makes some valid points for consideration.

The driver was high/drunk & it could never be his fault. That's all that matters to the press.

I was in the heavy duty truck business for 30+ years myself.

Brake fade I agree, could have/probably may have contributed.

In my 40+ years I have yet to encounter a 2 km "accident" that could be blamed on anything other than a stone cold drunk driver.

Here is an accident.

22732860_BG1.jpg

We were not there, we will never know, but it doesn't take long for the drums to heat up even with minimal usage. I cannot believe for one minute that 'some' trucks over here get maintained as they should, a simple brake adj probably never happens till its too late.

The original post I replied to was the poster stating that it could not happen as they were air brakes, but you and I know that is not the case.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

We were not there, we will never know, but it doesn't take long for the drums to heat up even with minimal usage. I cannot believe for one minute that 'some' trucks over here get maintained as they should, a simple brake adj probably never happens till its too late.

The original post I replied to was the poster stating that it could not happen as they were air brakes, but you and I know that is not the case.

Agreed. I've worked on many an air brake.

I started from the ground up & what you say is correct.

Damned air brakes are DANGEROUS to work on. Those springs that keep the brakes locked are deadly if one has no idea what they are dealing with.

---------------

As usual though, we'll probably never hear anything else about this from our trusted news source(s)...Might actually shame & name a company that keeps its drivers yak'ed up up on yaba.

17 hours ago, chingching said:

In Sweden we had that when I was start driving, almost 50 years ago.

19 hours ago, vogie said:

the Missing Maintenance , Chinese saying , "if it still works don't touch it".