Highway Police Pattaya

This morning I drove home coming from Pattaya on Sukhumvit in direction south.

Near the Ambassador Hotel Highway Police stopped me with the often-heard bullshit offense "Driving on the right lane". So far nothing uncommon.

The policeman handed me a booklet apparently issued by the Police wherein in Thai and English the offense was explained and that the fine is 200 Baht. It further said, you can get a ticket and pay at the police station or pay directly to the policeman.

Now can someone find out whether it is possible to pay a fine directly to the policeman? Bribing does not qualify as paying the fine!

If the answer is no (what I assume), this is a real scam! I encourage snatching that booklet from the policeman and have a closer look at it! I won't hesitate doing it next time...today I was a little too startled.

Usually they collect your driving license, give you a ticket and you have to pay within a week at the police station the policeman is assigned to in order to get the license back. From my own experience it can rot there for months and if the next one stops you, just show the ticket....I went away with it a couple of times.

You want to know how my story ended? I insisted on a ticket and told the policeman that there was a Pick Up in front of me going 70 while overtaking another Pick Up going approx 69 and that he should rather go after the Pick Up instead of stopping me. Got my license back and no ticket, no bribe either.

Conclusion: If the Police stops you ALWAYS ask for the ticket and don't hesitate arguing with the policeman. Too fast? Where is the radar camera foto? Right Lane? Wasn't I overtaking? ...and so on. In nine out of ten cases, they didn't bother filling in the ticket and let me go without paying anything.

This morning I drove home coming from Pattaya on Sukhumvit in direction south.

Near the Ambassador Hotel Highway Police stopped me with the often-heard bullshit offense "Driving on the right lane". So far nothing uncommon.

The policeman handed me a booklet apparently issued by the Police wherein in Thai and English the offense was explained and that the fine is 200 Baht. It further said, you can get a ticket and pay at the police station or pay directly to the policeman.

Now can someone find out whether it is possible to pay a fine directly to the policeman? Bribing does not qualify as paying the fine!

If the answer is no (what I assume), this is a real scam! I encourage snatching that booklet from the policeman and have a closer look at it! I won't hesitate doing it next time...today I was a little too startled.

Usually they collect your driving license, give you a ticket and you have to pay within a week at the police station the policeman is assigned to in order to get the license back. From my own experience it can rot there for months and if the next one stops you, just show the ticket....I went away with it a couple of times.

You want to know how my story ended? I insisted on a ticket and told the policeman that there was a Pick Up in front of me going 70 while overtaking another Pick Up going approx 69 and that he should rather go after the Pick Up instead of stopping me. Got my license back and no ticket, no bribe either.

Conclusion: If the Police stops you ALWAYS ask for the ticket and don't hesitate arguing with the policeman. Too fast? Where is the radar camera foto? Right Lane? Wasn't I overtaking? ...and so on. In nine out of ten cases, they didn't bother filling in the ticket and let me go without paying anything.

A beginning of the month fund raiser. Good for you :o

I truly think Pattaya police are in a class of their own when it comes to scamming.

I can't speak for Pattaya but the old bill here in Chaing Mai they seem to be doing OK in the tea money stakes.

I got stopped, had the seat belt on, showed them my license's, International and Thai and fully comprehensive insurance documents

Lots of smiling going on at this stage the missus said he wanted 200 baht. I asked her what part of no don't he understand?

Try this for size,he then said the roll bar and spotlights were illegal,is that a fact I said OK lets go to the cop shop and you show me where it say that.

The smiling has stopped by this time,and as it was one O'clock in the afternoon and brilliant sunshine at the time not turned on and they have plastic covers they were in no danger of blinding any oncoming drivers.

It was a matter who gets fed up first it was him and I was waved on.

Personally I am getting a bit fed up with this rip off.

Thanks for posting this!!!

I truly think Pattaya police are in a class of their own when it comes to scamming. Never get too much of that outside Pattaya & Bangkok.

I have been stopped in pattaya , bangkok, kampaengphet , chiangmai several times.

They all are bad , only the bangkok one costs double.

putting up a fight and looking at their id tag seems to help sometimes. or just give him the 200 bath immediatley without giving your license :o

Guest chingy

slip him a 200 and move on your way, you haven't seen the bad side of these cop yet.

i got caught once he ask to pay here for 200, i bargain with him how about 100, he agree im on my way, doesn't matter how much you pay him as long you pay, life is good don't bring trouble to yourself

200 Baht is the going rate in Bangkok as well, for farang, that is.

If I have time, I sit it through and lose the last bit of Thai I might know.

Takes about 5 minutes until they get tired and let you go.

Don't show your Thai - licence, show a European or international one.

If in a hurry, give them the B 200 and don't forget, it is for a good cause :o

If I have time, I sit it through and lose the last bit of Thai I might know.

Takes about 5 minutes until they get tired and let you go.

Not a word Thai, broken English is best! Or a few German words....

100 baht is the going rate for a Thai. If you live in the area and it is easy for you to pay the fine, ask for a ticket. More often than not, its all too hard for them and they waive you on.

Another story...in Western Australia a Thai friend of a friend (fluent in English) was pulled over by one of WA's finest. She handed over her international drivers licence. When the officer asked if she was aware that she was speeding, she gave him a confused look as said

"No Sa-peak Eng-er-land".

She was waived on.

Love that story.

OK if you were trolling you got me. First I wish to say that I am a retired Law Enforcement offical and I never took a free anything. Now to the matter itself;

Corruption is rife in this part of the world and I refuse to help feed it. First it is the Policemen, the alledged pillars of society, the so-called examples and the protectors of the public trust.

The kids see and hear this and act accordingly. When I first came here I taught for two years, until one day when the Headmaster tactfully explained to me that it was improper to remove students from the class for cheating on a quiz and that everyone passes at the end of the year no matter what. One of the things he mentioned is the corruption of the governement officials, police etc. as if that was justification for three students having cheat on the a quiz. Based on that logic, and the fact that I was only teaching to stay busy and did not need the money, I gave up teaching in Asia.

I want my children to be honest and I can control that but I cannot control their enviroment but I can surely contribute to the betterment of the society to which they will belong when adults. Today cops tomorrow they may become politician or god forbid pillars of the community.

When a policeman stops me I accept the ticket and travel on, then again that has not happened.

Another story...in Western Australia a Thai friend of a friend (fluent in English) was pulled over by one of WA's finest. She handed over her international drivers licence. When the officer asked if she was aware that she was speeding, she gave him a confused look as said

"No Sa-peak Eng-er-land".

Made me think of my experience. I speak German, Italian and English fluently and was driving to a counter terrorism seminar in northeastern Italy when pulled over by a Polizia Stradale (Highway Patroman), so I deceided to be cute in front of the fellas. The Polizia Staradale have a reputation of being a bit slow.

In any case, he asked if I spoke Italian to which I replied "non capisco Italiano" Then in flawless German he asked me if I could understand. Again I responded negatively by saying "Nein, Ich bin ein Amerikaner" at which time I thought I had the guy and started to finalyl hand him my American License.

He smiled and darned if the guy did not come out with perfect English and admonished me for having driven too fast for conditions. We spoke a while, with me outside the vehicle and away from my mates during which time it came out that I could indeed speak spaghetti and potatoes due to him having previosuly been present at one of my seminars and he laughed and was kind enough to let me go anyway.

I think it also depends on what you drive, if you're in a crappy truck with no film then you're an easy target or even worse on a bike. If you've got a decent motor though they tend to leave you alone. I drive a recent Camry and never get stopped!!

I think it also depends on what you drive, if you're in a crappy truck with no film then you're an easy target or even worse on a bike. If you've got a decent motor though they tend to leave you alone. I drive a recent Camry and never get stopped!!

why did i get stopped in a range rover then?

I drive a recent Camry and never get stopped!!

Try driving it here in Chiang Mai,the old bill here are very democratic.

Everyone gets a tug,but not everyone gives into this blackmail well I don't.

I have only had dealings with Bkk police . Recently wife got pulled over for running a red light, fair enough it was red . The policeman made no hint of wanting tea money, he took her licence and it cost 500 baht to get back at the station. Not sure if he was playing by the rules or thought 500 was alot more than 200 .

Maybe it's not worth anything but never give them lip, always be polite or they could make your life ######.

Your wife did you for 450 Baht. On the spot 'fines' for Thai are 20-50 Baht, at the policestation it's 400 for most people, smart ones as my Gf still pay only 200 then.

I have a folded 100 note in my int. dr. permit, sometimes that sorts it, sometimes they hand it back to me and ask for 200. Occasionally the guy gets my license and I get the ticket, don't know if they are honest cops or just being particularly obnoxious.

I've always found the Pattaya Police to be too honest.

Never once have they accepted the fine directly, irritatingly directing me to the local copshop.

They don't seem to care about driving licences' either (for bikes at least), always told them it's in England, never had a problem with that.

My wife and i were in downtown CM last week,my wife was driving.We went through a intersection where the police were stopping people the guy saw me and waved us over then when he saw my wife he waved us on. Dont really know what to make of that.

If you speak Thai, then you have two options,

1. Argue and say you were on the left, or "Where else do I overtake?"

2. Ask if you get a receipt for your 200 baht.

Fines can be paid on the spot but a receipt should be issued.

Otherwise offer 100 baht, like a Thai, and say you do not need the receipt (Bai Set)