Laptop has slowed to near stop...Help

Coconut Kidd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Buy a Mac Mini.  I did, 3 years ago.  Best decision I ever made in regards to computers.  Compared to Apple/Mac, Windows sucks.

Actually, Windows is the most spread OS in the world, you have to take into account that there are numerous of brands out there with their own hardware solutions, considering this, Windows is amazing. Apple is the only one manufacturing and designing their hardware and OS so it's not a surprise that Mac's, iMac's and IOS devices works as they should. 

There's a hefty price difference between a MS PC and an Apple PC, that's why Apple PC's never got the sales up. 

On another note, I have had MS PC's and servers working flawless for over +10 years, it's just a question of maintenance and care, of course you have to replace moving parts in regular intervals and also keep track of overheating (normal problem in SE Asia). 

There are new computers out now (desktops) with liquid cooling for both the GPU as the CPU, they cost more but still not near an Apple computer with the same specs. 

Note:I have had liquid cooling for over fourteen years now. Once, of all my computers throughout +10 years, the mainboard got flooded which short circuit the computer but that was sloppy maintenance from my part. I've even seen liquid cooling in a 'notebook' like Asus GX700.

It's unfortunate that the Mac and Linux mob have turned up again injecting useless information with no understanding of the OP original problem.

To the OP if you can get hold of a Win7 installation disk you can do an "Upgrade" install that will install a clean OS without losing any of your files. Obviously as with anything do a back up first.

You can check information and temperatures of all your system with a free version of Speccy :-

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Speccy!.jpg.298be43b6ef0abd98db6b83a85e1a42f.jpg

:smile:

37 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Don't install Linux unless you are computer savvy.

Which is why you run, say, Linux Mint via Live Linux on a USB first.  Non-computer savvy individuals who have an Internet connection and an ounce of curiosity can learn.  People here are assuming the OP is devoid of the ability to learn.

I was a Windows man for years, until a computer geek friend of mine told me to buy a Mac.  He said start with a Mac Mini, the small one.  Ok, 18,999 baht, plus 3k for a HUGE monitor, new wireless keyboard and mouse.  Total price, around 26k baht.  

Ok, so a little more than a good Windows based desk top, I admit, but the differences totally make up for it. I got a 5 year subscription to Mac Keeper & Mac Support.  This is online REAL TIME support with a Mac tech to help you resolve any problems you might have.  Hell, they can even remotely clean your Mac for you so you don't have to take it to a shop.  

With Mac Keeper, you don't need 2-3 anti-virus or malware programs.  It handles all of them.  Got a problem you can't figure out?  Contact Mac Support and get real time assistance.  

I've had mine for over 3 years now, and it still runs just as fast as it did when I took it out of the box.  I run Mac Cleaner every other day to wipe out anything I might have picked up, which takes less than 5 minutes to do.  

Now I'm looking at the 27" desktop model for Christmas. Yeah, 66,000 baht is a chunk of change, but I love the size, and it should last me till I die, sometime in the next 15 years or so. lol

28 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

Actually, Windows is the most spread OS in the world, you have to take into account that there are numerous of brands out there with their own hardware solutions, considering this, Windows is amazing. Apple is the only one manufacturing and designing their hardware and OS so it's not a surprise that Mac's, iMac's and IOS devices works as they should. 

There's a hefty price difference between a MS PC and an Apple PC, that's why Apple PC's never got the sales up. 

On another note, I have had MS PC's and servers working flawless for over +10 years, it's just a question of maintenance and care, of course you have to replace moving parts in regular intervals and also keep track of overheating (normal problem in SE Asia). 

There are new computers out now (desktops) with liquid cooling for both the GPU as the CPU, they cost more but still not near an Apple computer with the same specs. 

Note:I have had liquid cooling for over fourteen years now. Once, of all my computers throughout +10 years, the mainboard got flooded which short circuit the computer but that was sloppy maintenance from my part. I've even seen liquid cooling in a 'notebook' like Asus GX700.

The first step is to see what processes are running, what resources are being consumed, and what an externally loaded anti-virus program will come up with.  

So far I've heard:
* "Burn down your computer and reinstall"  - That's the last thing you do.
* "Load this free Windows optimization program" - You don't know what is wrong with the computer.  Not a good idea.

* "It's your hardware"  -  Not until you've ruled out your software unless you have hardware errors in you logs.
* "Get a Mac" - We're not all rich.
* "Install and use Linux" - Not a bad idea, I said that too, but it doesn't solve your present problem. 

Now, go back to my first sentence. BTW, the OP hasn't responded for over 24 hours.  Maybe he's fixed the problem already unless he has no access to another computer.  

FYI, as a Microsoft MCSE, this is what I did at the server level for a living until I retired and came to Thailand.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, KamalaRider said:

I haven't read through all the posts so I might give an old advice. 

Change your HD or SDD to a new, whatever it is, I assume you have an SSD drive on 35GB?

if you get a higher capacity ssd (if thats what is has now) keep in mind you may not see big speed jumps because 2006 the interface was a generation or 2 slower than todays sata 3 or pcie.

have owned several pc's with windows and linux. have built and repaired same

i have owned several macbooks and built several hackintosh boxes including a xeon 12 core x99.  mac is good though pricy and the latest generation macbooks have very little user upgradability or repairability.

also have an old 2006 macbook and it does run faset/better with an ssd than the hard drive.

if you hear any clicking or scratching sounds coming from your laptop be very concerned about hd failure. other posteres already had good ideas.

Try these two solutions first. With Laptops running on the battery power, the battery if its failing, tends to slow the computer down. so either run a diagnostic program on the battery first to see it its is the culprit. Next quick diagnostic is to shut down your computer, remove the battery ad with only the power connector attached restart the system.  If the system runs normally then you have your solution.  I found this to solve the same issue on an older laptop I once had. (HP)''

Now it that is not the problem, try using the auto repair function. Boot up normally. Click on Computer, then right click your C drive, select Properties, then "tools", then click on repair.  check both boxes click OK. Then shut down not restart. Reboot and the suystem will take some time an hour or more but it checks the entire system and tries to repair anything it finds wrong.  Now this does not always fix the problem but it does clear up several issues.

If that doesn't fix it then you may need to do a "Recovery Disc:" repair.  Even in its current condition you can create a Recovery disc and you need to make one before doing anything else.  You also need to make sure you still have your "Product Code Key" just in case.  Hope that fixes your problem.

4 hours ago, connda said:

If you're going down that route try learning how to use Linux, such as Linux Mint.  Put in on a thumb drive and boot it up from your USB.  It will do virtually everything Windows will do without the problems.

In the meantime, download and install System Explorer. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5015-system-explorer.html

This should give you a better idea of what processes are actually running and the amount of memory that is being consumed.  Your problem may not be processor activity but instead memory usage.

Just for the heck of it, try stopping the Windows Update Service and see if that makes a difference.  That process kicks off a number of underlying services that are memory hogs.  This is simply an informed hunch. 
If you don't know how to start and stop services, read this. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/open-windows-services
The Windows Update Service should be right under the Time Service on Windows 7.  You can also try stopping the BITS Service.  These services are needed to for you system to update, but they can also cause performance problems in a system that is not updated correctly.  

If you try this, let me know how it worked out.

some good suggestions. i had an old hp or toshiba laptop also and found the small versions of xp ran a lot better. there used to be "tiny xp" that ran great providing you did not need a more bloated xp os.

a friend of mine is also an MSCE and he likes linux for servers.(unrelated to op)

Edited by atyclb

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

It's unfortunate that the Mac and Linux mob have turned up again injecting useless information with no understanding of the OP original problem.

The only way to silence a Mac mob is with a .38

Most fix my stuff threads here end up in a whose got the biggest pair fight.

Best to seek help at one of the computer forums where people are less likely to throw in useless drivel.

Had a similar problem with an old netbook of mine - not total slowdown but CPU often at 100%. Slow or at standstill frequently. But turned off internet and much faster. A month later got a message my Computer was compromised from Spamhaus. I was also getting a lot of unwanted adverts. My AV couldn't find anything, or Malwarebytes or Addaware (cannot remember if i tried CCleaner). Spamhaus did give me a link which led to a free Norton facility Which fixed some registry hacks, problem solved. Seems my computer had been recruited to a Botnet.

Okay, try this

Have you an anti virus programme such as ESET NOD, note free ones are next to useless.

Look at hard drive and see if full, if so remove unneeded files / programmes.  If the drive is full and its not obvious why then most likely you have a virus, which is replicating files.

Is your ram working correctly? Quite often just cleaning the connections will resolve this.

Overheating of laptops is common, not usually not to where they stop, your system should warn you when this is an issue, however to prolong laptop life many owners buy an under laptop fan, a wise move.

Turn on your restore option!

If all else, get windows 8.1 reloaded, (3--400 Baht) Beforehand download needed files to Memory stick or ask for files to be retrieved before reloading windows. Ask for ESET NOD ant virus, try not to get excited and load other programmes such as Malware etc , they conflict! (Note Windows 10 will struggle on older laptops.)

Go to a recommended repair shop such as DR Com shop , 3rd Floor  TUK COM

Apparently somebody here on Thaivisa is in the employ of the Microsoft Corporation, because my last post appears  to have been  deleted, without informing me about that. A response to my post has also vanished. Very, very strange...

So I have no other choice but repeating what I said before: Get rid of your Windows-based laptop and buy a Macintosh Pro or other Apple computer instead, and you will probably never have any problem again. I cannot believe how much money, time and energy people are spending all the time to fix Windows-related problems. I remember having those same problems all the time before I took the decision to switch from MSFT Windows to Apple and Mac.

Even my 8-year-old Macbook Pro 15 still works like a charm. The only thing I did was changing from hard drive to SSD. It is much faster now, doesn't get hot and starts instantly. I keep it as my second, back-up computer. My "new", 4-year old Mcbook Pro with the 15-inch retina screen is a marvel. Superfast, never gets hot, never had the slightest problem. And of course all the updates and upgrades from Apple are free of charge.

"You have to be rich to have an Apple computer" is an urban legend. I would rather buy a good used Macintosh than a brand-new Windows machine, with all the never-ending problems attached to that. Remember : Time is Money! Even if you buy a new Apple computer and invest a little bit more, in the end you will save a lot of money, time and nervous energy!

26 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Apparently somebody here on Thaivisa is in the employ of the Microsoft Corporation, because my last post appears  to have been  deleted, without informing me about that. A response to my post has also vanished. Very, very strange...

So I have no other choice but repeating what I said before: Get rid of your Windows-based laptop and buy a Macintosh Pro or other Apple computer instead, and you will probably never have any problem again. I cannot believe how much money, time and energy people are spending all the time to fix Windows-related problems. I remember having those same problems all the time before I took the decision to switch from MSFT Windows to Apple and Mac.

Even my 8-year-old Macbook Pro 15 still works like a charm. The only thing I did was changing from hard drive to SSD. It is much faster now, doesn't get hot and starts instantly. I keep it as my second, back-up computer. My "new", 4-year old Mcbook Pro with the 15-inch retina screen is a marvel. Superfast, never gets hot, never had the slightest problem. And of course all the updates and upgrades from Apple are free of charge.

"You have to be rich to have an Apple computer" is an urban legend. I would rather buy a good used Macintosh than a brand-new Windows machine, with all the never-ending problems attached to that. Remember : Time is Money! Even if you buy a new Apple computer and invest a little bit more, in the end you will save a lot of money, time and nervous energy!

While I don't deny that Apple can be far superior at times when it come so malfunction or softaware glitches they are very limited when it comes to more than just a functional PC/laptop. Upgrading and hardware support is also lacking (especially when it come to range and cost)

Windows based systems are very much the go to for gaming.

I'm a fan of both but I feel that neither is universally 'better' than the other. Horses for courses.

OP is still here, I was out for last half of yesterday.

I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. Thank you very much.

I am just savvy enough to get into BIOS and boot from disc or stick, however this PC doesn't respond to any of the commands I have tried, including those I found on the Toshiba and several other sites, I tried 20-25 different combinations. It won't boot from disc at startup either.

I've used Linux a bit before, so none of that is a problem, its just getting it on the system that is the problem at this time unless there is a way around changing the boot sequence in BIOS.

I also have a genuine copy of XP that would be fine for what this computer is used for, but again the BIOS problem.

At this point I will try some of the "cleaner" type options suggested in several posts, see how that goes and report back.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Kidd

I also had this happen about two months ago, I could have walked 5 kilometres faster than it took to open. Had windows 10 reinstalled and it went like a Ferrari, really fast.  I have 50 gb with True and am in the Nakhon Pathom area.  Now, over the past 4 days, it has slowed again and strangely, it is mostly when I am on TVF.  It does muck up on some other sites, like streaming of radio cutting in and out but for some reason, not as bad as TVF.  I have no idea why but at the moment it's fine.

The other day, I had problems with True cable TV and while talking to the technical person, who helped me rectify the problem, I was also asked how my internet was, which at the time was good, so this is what I relayed to them therefore have no idea if they were having problems.  However, if it keeps persisting I will get back to them and see if it is from their side.  I do not know who you are with but if I get any information from my provider I will update.  Sorry that I cannot offer any more information to help.:wai:

On 9/23/2017 at 12:31 PM, Coconut Kidd said:

Thanks and I should have mentioned it in the OP; I tried that, however there were no restore points. Win update was shut of from the shop I purchased it at and no other significant changes were made to warrant a restore point being made.

remove programmes which are rarely used to create HD space....

Yeah, without the ability to boot from at least your CD, you're up Microsoft Creek without a paddle  :tongue:  If I was in your position, one of my first priorities would be trying to find a PC hardware tech to solve the boot-up issue.  Best of luck.  Keep us in the loop on how this shakes out!  Simply curious now.  

2 hours ago, Coconut Kidd said:

OP is still here, I was out for last half of yesterday.

I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions. Thank you very much.

I am just savvy enough to get into BIOS and boot from disc or stick, however this PC doesn't respond to any of the commands I have tried, including those I found on the Toshiba and several other sites, I tried 20-25 different combinations. It won't boot from disc at startup either.

I've used Linux a bit before, so none of that is a problem, its just getting it on the system that is the problem at this time unless there is a way around changing the boot sequence in BIOS.

I also have a genuine copy of XP that would be fine for what this computer is used for, but again the BIOS problem.

At this point I will try some of the "cleaner" type options suggested in several posts, see how that goes and report back.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Kidd

It may be the ESC key continually and immediately after you press and let go of the power button to turn it on. Followed by F1

If that doesn't work, F1.

If that doesn't work, F2.

F12 usually to select the Boot Order without entering BIOS setup.

But make sure the thing is completely off before switching it back on in order to attempt the commands. To do so, switch off, remove battery, press power button for thirty seconds, replace battery.

Edited by JamJar

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

It may be the ESC key continually and immediately after you press and let go of the power button to turn it on. Followed by F1

If that doesn't work, F1.

If that doesn't work, F2.

F12 usually to select the Boot Order without entering BIOS setup.

But make sure the thing is completely off before switching it back on in order to attempt the commands. To do so, switch off, remove battery, press power button for thirty seconds, replace battery.

read the manual specific to your laptop to know which keys will go to bios and do what

Could be a number of things. If you have had the computer for a while it could be a dirty fan and heat sink. Not sure if you can access this yourself on your model but if you can open it up and clean it. If not take it to a repair shop. What anti virus are you using, some of these use a lot of CPU and heat up lap tops. Could be a faulty or updated driver. Could be a virus although I see you checked this, or a number of scheduled tasks Adobe, windows etc updating at the same time. I operate my laptop on one of those gizmos that raise the laptop of the desk and allow airflow also in an air conditioned room. As others have said back up your files and registry to an external disc and reinstall windows.

Lots of helpful experienced advice here in attempting to identify the root cause , may I add to the thread by saying at a high level, it's a performance issue. To solve performance issues you need some detailed interrelated metrics to analyze.

Install the free apps, Spotlight and What's Running (assume enough disk space and CPU bandwidth to do this) to view the real-time visual and activity (metrics) performance of your system. 

The detailed information from above apps can assist in drilling down to why your CPU runs at 100% and the system slows down to a crawl.

Hopefully from this analysis, you can identify the root cause and eliminate the issue, whether it be a hardware and / or software conflict. 

I do not recommend the software suggested by berrec ,,,
however he is correct, you must discover what is causing 100% cpu.

The following are from 'Sysinternals Utilities' by Mark Russinovich.
They are free and most excellent.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/

Here are the ones I recommend you use, in this order ,,,

Process Monitor
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
v3.40 (September 11, 2017)
Monitor file system, Registry, process, thread and DLL activity in real-time.

Process Explorer
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
v16.21 (May 16, 2017)
Find out what files, registry keys and other objects processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, and more. This uniquely powerful utility will even show you who owns each process.

PsKill
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pskill
v1.16 (June 29, 2016)
Terminate local or remote processes.
*** Please locate what service is causing 100% cpu,
- BEFORE you use 'PsKill' to Terminate that local processe(s)
- gather it's name, location plus any and all relevant info.

Autoruns
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
v13.80 (September 11, 2017)
See what programs are configured to startup automatically when your system boots and you login. Autoruns also shows you the full list of Registry and file locations where applications can configure auto-start settings.

IF NECESSARY THEN THIS ,,,
ProcDump
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump
v9.0 (May 16, 2017)
This command-line utility is aimed at capturing process dumps of otherwise difficult to isolate and reproduce CPU spikes. It also serves as a general process dump creation utility and can also monitor and generate process dumps when a process has a hung window or unhandled exception.

Cheers