I need educating on local bi-lingual schools

Krataiboy

I am a person of modest means. My daughter, who is fluent in English as well as Thai, will soon be leaving junior school in Cha Am.  Several Thai friends have  recommended we to send her to Sarasas Witaed School, in Petchaburi, which is one of a chain of so-called bilingual schools. I am looking for a second opinion from a falang, as Thais and we foreigners don't always have the same standards.

When I checked the website for the Petchaburi school, I was surprised to discover that it mainly in Thai and could not be translated automatically into English. Not a very encouraging start. 

Is there a parent out there with a child who is attending, or has attended this school who is able to give me an idea of how satisfactory it is likely to be as a stepping stone to university? I have also been led to believe that Benchamatheputit School, also in Petchaburi, is another possibility worth considering.

All help gratefully received and acknowledged.

With a limited budget and not living in Bangkok, your choices will be "well" ahem, limited. 

A lot will depend on if she currently went to a bilingual school or thai school? ?

If she went to a Thai school and has a grade of 3.5 up, she would get best education in a Thai gifted programme. Especially in the government schools. Don't assume your daughter can just walk it in to a Thai school. Any school that's worth going to have a stringent test and the competition is great. If she has GPA of 2.50 to 3.00 she could go to normal thai programme. Generally, normal programme are quite full of monsters that could not make the grade. 

Sarasas schools take anyone that can pay. Make of that what you will. 

I wouldn't touch a Sarassas school with a barge pole if I were you. They do not adhere to OBEC standards as regards to teacher qualifications/ native speaking ability to my knowledge.  (Although I understand some are better than others).

There is a fairly good school a bit further north in Ratchaburi (Daruna Ratchaburi Witaed Suksa), but that may not be feasible for you if you are based in Cha-Aam. (At least one hour each way).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 9:29 PM, greenchair said:

With a limited budget and not living in Bangkok, your choices will be "well" ahem, limited. 

A lot will depend on if she currently went to a bilingual school or thai school? ?

If she went to a Thai school and has a grade of 3.5 up, she would get best education in a Thai gifted programme. Especially in the government schools. Don't assume your daughter can just walk it in to a Thai school. Any school that's worth going to have a stringent test and the competition is great. If she has GPA of 2.50 to 3.00 she could go to normal thai programme. Generally, normal programme are quite full of monsters that could not make the grade. 

Sarasas schools take anyone that can pay. Make of that what you will. 

A belated thanks for the advice, particularly re Sarasas schools. 

On 9/27/2017 at 9:57 PM, bermondburi said:

I've been looking at Somtawin and Beaconhouse Yemsaard, both in Hua Hin for next year. 

Prices not too bad, websites in English etc. 

There are quite a few reviews of both online.

Thanks, belatedly, for the advice. I'll have a look online.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:46 PM, Slip said:

I wouldn't touch a Sarassas school with a barge pole if I were you. They do not adhere to OBEC standards as regards to teacher qualifications/ native speaking ability to my knowledge.  (Although I understand some are better than others).

There is a fairly good school a bit further north in Ratchaburi (Daruna Ratchaburi Witaed Suksa), but that may not be feasible for you if you are based in Cha-Aam. (At least one hour each way).

Thanks, belatedly, for the heads up on Sarassas. Ratchaburi is not really close enough, which is why I am looking at Petchaburi as our first option.

Archived