Big toenail permanently removed. Success in BKK!

dblaisde

I'm 70 and have had toenail fungus since age 5. The fungus is sharp, digs in and makes walking painful, needing ugly, painful and bloody clipping every 3 months or less.

Bumrungrad (my hospital) doesn't do toenail extractions ("it's just going to grow back", so said the Bummy Doc, so no concept of what I wanted done: "Oh!!!...you want us to remove!! the roots TOO?! Sorry, we don't know how to do that!")

Shift to cheaper Mission Hospital and an Indian doctor (Dr Harpreet S. Grover 0-2282-1100). No problem for Doc Grover, and 5000B removal per nail (well, 2 followups after at 900B apiece, to check recovery all in the first week after op. (Not really necessary, and I might pass on these for my second and last extraction)).

About 5 minutes for the operation itself (rip toenail off, then remove roots under nail). All very informal and effective. No big deal and painless with the right local injections. I'll do the other big toenail in a month or so.

Beware that you won't be doing much walking for a week (and shouldn't). I limited myself to short walks for food.

Note: previous to this, I'd given up hope here. After Bumrungrad, I tried a Thai doctor recommended here for this exact thing, but he's now gone into the year-long-treatment-for-toenail-fungus racket and tries to steer you away from removal as "too dangerous". (these operations are done in the US all the time, and there are many youtube videos if you want to see how easily and safely it's done)

Archived