Nice outdoor lunches in BKK ? Where's your Favourite ?

SurinBeach

So I was gonna pop outside for a bit of Sunday afternoon late lunch but after a few searches all I can seem to find is Rooftop bars which was not what I was looking for....

I was more thinking somewhere like Hemmingways, Lumpini Park etc but both now gone....

Dont wanna sit to close to a TukTuk or Traffic jam either

Any suggestions ?

(near to a BTS or Siam to Thong Lor range but interested to hear of further afield options....)

Cheers

SB

I'm surprised there aren't more places along the river. Yes, there's the Sheraton and a few other big hotels, but I would guess that even with the discount Thian mentions, they will still be pretty expensive. And perhaps a bit more formal than I like for a light lunch.

There used to be an S&P on the river near Sanam Luang a few years ago (ok, maybe 10), which was a great place to pop in for a coffee and / or lunch, but when we looked a couple of years ago, it seemed to have disappeared. I'd be very interested if anyone knows of some nice, inexpensive places on the river where one can get a drink, snack or full meal.

I love sitting and watching the river traffic. It's a whole microcosm that exists completely apart from the city; a constantly changing tapestry. The riverside in central Bangkok is woefully under-seviced by the mass transit systems, and woefully underused. It's a great shame.

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Download the app "eatigo" and it will tell you where you can get a big discount.

Especially the top restaurants join this and most are in that area. I would pick one at the river, something like the Sheraton or so.

Thanks. USe Eatigo a few times, Wine Connection had good deals and is nice at K Village ....

The Gardens Of Dinsor Palace in between Sukhumvit 59 and 61 is well worth a visit. Beautiful spacious outdoor setting with tons of trees, water features, swans, doves, and white peacocks, and some very nice food and desserts. Great place for couples, families and groups of friends. Search on google maps for reviews and photos.

10 hours ago, nisakiman said:

I'm surprised there aren't more places along the river. Yes, there's the Sheraton and a few other big hotels, but I would guess that even with the discount Thian mentions, they will still be pretty expensive. And perhaps a bit more formal than I like for a light lunch.

There used to be an S&P on the river near Sanam Luang a few years ago (ok, maybe 10), which was a great place to pop in for a coffee and / or lunch, but when we looked a couple of years ago, it seemed to have disappeared. I'd be very interested if anyone knows of some nice, inexpensive places on the river where one can get a drink, snack or full meal.

I love sitting and watching the river traffic. It's a whole microcosm that exists completely apart from the city; a constantly changing tapestry. The riverside in central Bangkok is woefully under-seviced by the mass transit systems, and woefully underused. It's a great shame.

You can use the boats to travel along the river and when you see nice restaurants you hop off. There are cheap restaurants upstream but they don't speak english there.

Now the temperature is great for the boats and eating outdoor.

On 25/09/2017 at 9:22 AM, Katipo said:

The Gardens Of Dinsor Palace in between Sukhumvit 59 and 61 is well worth a visit. Beautiful spacious outdoor setting with tons of trees, water features, swans, doves, and white peacocks, and some very nice food and desserts. Great place for couples, families and groups of friends. Search on google maps for reviews and photos.

Yeh, thanks for that, been meaning to visit ....

On 25/09/2017 at 1:29 PM, Thian said:

You can use the boats to travel along the river and when you see nice restaurants you hop off. There are cheap restaurants upstream but they don't speak english there.

Now the temperature is great for the boats and eating outdoor.

Think it's about time a did a river tour hop off pub crawl !

11 minutes ago, SurinBeach said:

Think it's about time a did a river tour hop off pub crawl !

After dark it's easy to spot the busy restaurants from out of the riverboats. Some also show large Hoegaarden beer signs, i would go there cause it's my favorite beer.

Some have nice gardens and look like european standard to me. Mostly all the farang stay near Sukhuvit but the wealthier Thai know their places in the rest of BKK. 

i've been to very nice river-restaurants where all is perfect but without the help of my wife i would have never found them. Even when i take a taxi to go there and tell them the name/address they can't find them and get lost. Those places are for dinner though, not sure about lunch.

Those places are at the "other side" of the Chao Praya so look that way if you're on the boat.

• 1 month later...

Quick update, visited a mate staying in Khao San Road yesterday so we went for a stroll down to the river and bumped into a cool bar/restaurant named SHEEPSHANK. We sat on a table just a few yards from the river ...

It's on google/tripadvisor so easy to find...

Still need to make it to Steve's !