Benefit of getting Thai credit card?

Grawburg

On 2/28/2018 at 3:07 AM, inThailand said:

Since most home country credit cards have dropped foreign charges, get a real credit card.

Whats the difference between Thai Credit cards and 'real ones'?

I have used mine all over the world exactly how i do with my foreign one with no difference. Actually i find the customer service of the banks here far superior to back home.

I have used mine all over the world exactly how i do with my foreign one with no difference. Actually i find the customer service of the banks here far superior to back home.

I think he is talking about secured cards, not credit cards.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

When two Thai banks asked me if I want a credit card I said I want a high credit limit. They said no problem but not advisable. Why I asked? Your liable for any fraud.

You got to be kidding? Nope!

I have had my USA credit card number stolen three times here to the tune of $34,000. I not pay one penny and they send me new cards for free. That's a real credit card!

10 minutes ago, inThailand said:

When two Thai banks asked me if I want a credit card I said I want a high credit limit. They said no problem but not advisable. Why I asked? Your liable for any fraud.

You got to be kidding? Nope!

I have had my USA credit card number stolen three times here to the tune of $34,000. I not pay one penny and they send me new cards for free. That's a real credit card!

Okay fair enough. I have never had my card number stolen, you must be incredibly unlucky to have it happen 3 times. I have had the bank call me a few occasions to check transactions are not fraudulent, one time it seemed like a double payment by Emirates. It was not a double payment but the impression i got from the phone call was that they would have accepted liability.

So far and without tempting fate, i have been very impressed with the banking services here, aside from Bangkok Banks insistence i close one account and open a new one a couple of KM's away as they could not transfer it to another branch. (also the inter-province charges for transferring money)

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Okay fair enough. I have never had my card number stolen, you must be incredibly unlucky to have it happen 3 times. I have had the bank call me a few occasions to check transactions are not fraudulent, one time it seemed like a double payment by Emirates. It was not a double payment but the impression i got from the phone call was that they would have accepted liability.

So far and without tempting fate, i have been very impressed with the banking services here, aside from Bangkok Banks insistence i close one account and open a new one a couple of KM's away as they could not transfer it to another branch. (also the inter-province charges for transferring money)

I never had it stolen in the US. But it happened once at Central, PowerBuy and DTAC. They said they either skimmed my card at checkout or they tapped the phones lines when sending cc info for approval. Cards were then made and shopping sprees occurred in Hong Kong, Philippines and here. In any case I rarely use one here anymore. The downside was it took about two months to get a new card. I finally have adapted to carrying cash again. 

When I had to replace a US card the sent the new one to a hotel I was staying in. That was the fastest I ever got anything from the US. Less than 48 hours.

Tough to beat the CC service in the US. That said, the Thai CC always reverse any charges or fees I complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, smutcakes said:

What rubbish. Perhaps if they deem your job unstable, or for some reason they see you as a risk. I have a BB and Krungsri one, both organized within 15 minutes in the branches, especially the Krungsri one.

Which branch did you go to? I've been at the same job with work permit etc for years, no debt, and already have multiple debit accounts.

1 hour ago, Metapod said:

Which branch did you go to? I've been at the same job with work permit etc for years, no debt, and already have multiple debit accounts.

Bangkok Bank at Sathorn City Tower and Krungsri Bank at All Seasons Place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one of the most important reasons why I would never have a Thai credit card.   My friend insists on keeping her card (and carrying it around) in spite of my repeated warnings about the liability involved.     The following is copied from Citi Thailand terms and conditions.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/static/pdf/bc-tc-generic.pdf

image.png.cbef28f785cb028fd01a4f6960c9dad6.png

3 hours ago, madisongy said:

Here is one of the most important reasons why I would never have a Thai credit card.   My friend insists on keeping her card (and carrying it around) in spite of my repeated warnings about the liability involved.     The following is copied from Citi Thailand terms and conditions.

https://www.citibank.co.th/en/static/pdf/bc-tc-generic.pdf

image.png.cbef28f785cb028fd01a4f6960c9dad6.png

Yes if you are Negligent they wont reimburse. I presume that is normal throughout the world? I would imagine any cardholder would reserve the right to not reimburse in the case of loss of funds due to the cardholders negligence not just in Thailand. Like leaving your card hanging out the ATM.

Singapore Citibank policy also has the same clause re negligence. I am sure they all do.

Edited by smutcakes

29 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Yes if you are Negligent they wont reimburse. I presume that is normal throughout the world? I would imagine any cardholder would reserve the right to not reimburse in the case of loss of funds due to the cardholders negligence not just in Thailand. Like leaving your card hanging out the ATM.

Singapore Citibank policy also has the same clause re negligence. I am sure they all do.

Negligence is essentially a catch all for any reason your card was used without your authorization.   Lets say you use it at a restaurant......staff disappears with your card to ring up your sale and in the process, snaps a pic of your card and passes that info along to a friend.   Any charges incurred by others is the cardholder responsibility.   That's specifically spelled out on pages 39/40 of the card terms and conditions sent earlier.

That is not the case for cards issued in the US.  Unauthorized purchases on your card are covered by the Fair Credit Billing Act.  Typically cardholders have zero liability for unauthorized purchases.  Someone stole my Citi number a few years back.......only ran up about $1000, but I paid nothing.   Called, cancelled the card, and they had a new one Fedex to me.   

Some folks mentioned that the Thai banks have worked with them, and that's great.   But unlike the US card issuers, they are not obligated to do so.