Thailand at third place on world tourism revenue list

webfact

Thailand at third place on world tourism revenue list

BANGKOK, 25th September 2017 (NNT) - Thailand has attained third place in terms of tourism revenue according to 2016-2017 statistics released by the United Nations’ World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). 

Since 2016, Thailand has earned 1.65 trillion baht or 49.9 billion dollars from tourism, representing a 16.9 percent jump. The country is also ranked ninth in terms of tourist arrivals, with 32.6 million visitors or an 8.9 percent surge. 

First and second best performers are USA and Spain which gained 205.9 billion dollars and 60.3 billion dollars from tourism respectively. The other top 10 earners are China, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Germany, Hong Kong and Australia.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-09-25

Regardless of the source to this data, I'm still skeptical.

According to the statistics, the average visitor to Thailand spends around $1500. But the average visitor to the UK spends $1100 and a typical tourist in France spends a mere $500. Mexico could be deemed similar to Thailand as a tourist nation, and has quite similar arrival numbers, but tourists spend half the amount. 

I really don't understand how a country with a much lower cost of living, where hotels can be a fraction of the price of its European counterparts, where so many tourists are border hops or four-day Chinese trips are producing a greater expenditure figure? 

Must be all the quality tourists Thailand attracts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Edited by madmitch

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

According to the statistics, the average visitor to Thailand spends around $1500. But the average visitor to the UK spends $1100 and a typical tourist in France spends a mere $500. Mexico could be deemed similar to Thailand as a tourist nation, and has quite similar arrival numbers, but tourists spend half the amount. 

I really don't understand how a country with a much lower cost of living, where hotels can be a fraction of the price of its European counterparts, where so many tourists are border hops or four-day Chinese trips are producing a greater expenditure figure? 

Thailand is the worlds sex capital. This gives a huge boost to the average spend when visitors sexual satisfaction costs are included .

New TAT slogan ;

" We welcome you to the Land of Smiles , where our prices are 4 times that of France but our beaches are nearly 10 times dirtier "

Seriously if ever there was any doubt that Thailand massages its tourist revenues by a huge amount , these stats settle the issue for good.

Read this
 please TAT and stop your bullS>>> so easy to see who are the liars and cannot be trusted on anything they say. What was it supposed to be 32 mil in 2016 Spain had 72 mil and in 17 its expected to be 9% higher with Brits now up in visiting numbers and 50% down on Thai visits.

Spain hosted nearly 75 million foreign tourists last year, ten percent more than visited the world's third most popular destination in 2015, the United Nations World Tourism Organisation said on Monday.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The country is also ranked ninth in terms of tourist arrivals, with 32.6 million visitors or an 8.9 percent surge. 

Can any of you Thai bashers actually read the figures... its saying exactly what TOT has been saying all along...nearly 33 million visitors.......talk about blinded by stupidity.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

The truth is they include Thais touring their own country on domestic flights. Air flights to Thailand at present are half the price they normally are. One Middle Eastern Airline has numerous pages of flights for tickets it just cannot sell. Horses wear blinckers but Thais wear a pirate patch over both eyes.

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I am assuming that the various governments supply the revenue numbers. Possibly open to "manipulation". Not suggesting of course that Thailand would do anything underhand like that. :post-4641-1156694572:

What is the average duration of a Thailand holiday now? Only a few years ago it was 7 days, and the average tourist spent 4,200 baht or so per day, so that adds up to a little less than 30,000 baht. I would guess, that, thanks to the quality tourists from China, who stay only a few days, the average stay of a tourist is down to 5 days now, so the TAT is saying that daily expenditure is now US$1,500 x 33.50 (last year!) : 5 days = 10,050 baht (ca.)?? Wow, maybe Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were here last year and spent a few hundred million... Kudos to Thailand for raising tourists' daily expenditure from 4,200 baht only to a few years ago to a whopping 10,000 baht! Maybe the TAT could share their secret with the world??

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I am assuming that the various governments supply the revenue numbers. Possibly open to "manipulation". Not suggesting of course that Thailand would do anything underhand like that. :post-4641-1156694572:

Or Maybe they just calculate with an exchange rate of 1US$ = 20 baht??

Edited by StayinThailand2much

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Good to see the Minister of Tourism and Sport is making a great impact. Well done Madame Minister!

One in the eye for all those nersayers around!

'or for the really really easily duped.   So, genius, where do you suppose UNWTO gets ITS numbers from, eh?