Any thoughts on New House developments around Chiang Mai

Tracyb

4 hours ago, nickmondo said:

please do not buy a house in Thailand.  You cannot own the land, and putting it in the name of a Thai will only end in disaster.  Just rent.  It is by far the best option to you.  There are loads of lovely cheap rentals in CM.  I lived there for a year and loved it.  I lived midway between CM and Doi Sakhet, just far enough out of the city, but close enough to be there easily when required.  There are so many horror stories.  DO NOT BUY!

Why will it end in disaster?

I live with my wife in her home when we are in Thailand - she lives in mine when we are in Australia

I think you have listened to all the bad stories, and I agree there are many, but you have never seen the many, many more stories where a farang marries a Thai lady and live happily ever after.

I think a lot of the horror stories were due to the people involved - 'green expat' meets a Thai princess and all logic goes out of the window. 

It seems the OP (guessing a lady married to a Thai man) will not have too many issues and as stated has Thai citizenship so she can own the land.

please do not buy a house in Thailand.  You cannot own the land, and putting it in the name of a Thai will only end in disaster.  Just rent.  It is by far the best option to you.  There are loads of lovely cheap rentals in CM.  I lived there for a year and loved it.  I lived midway between CM and Doi Sakhet, just far enough out of the city, but close enough to be there easily when required.  There are so many horror stories.  DO NOT BUY!
Your lived there for A year?, and took off and feel qualified to comment.

Just another poor renter living on card board thai furniture.

Chiang mai tends to attract the poorest of the expats

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

This kind of comment works for some who are content living out of their suitcases.  But for those wanting a stable and ideal life, owning a home has no comparison.  Sure you can rent and be at the mercy of your landlord.  But doesn't it get old at some point?  A farang can certainly own a home in Thailand...if you have a Thai partner.  Now if your wife is someone you can't and don't trust, then you are correct that it makes no sense to purchase a home in her name.  But if you feel that way about your wife, why marry her in the first place?  Whatever.  Truth be told is that there are plenty of foreigners married to Thais in CM and living a blissful life.  And having their own homes is the centerpiece.  I'm sorry it can never happen for you.

On 26/09/2017 at 2:33 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

Mae Rim is too far out of town, as is Doi Saket IMHO.

Only the hardiest and most solitary of foreigners can live that far out.

If you must buy, get a 90% home loan from a Thai bank, the bank isn't gonna let anyone steal from them.

My misses bought off plan, total up front investment 20k, the day she moved in 300k. Small risk Vs the cash buyer.

Interesting idea:'

If you must buy, get a 90% home loan from a Thai bank, the bank isn't gonna let anyone steal from them.'

Is that secure? How easy is it to get such a loan? Thanks for the input.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:53 AM, Berkshire said:

I've been to Inizio, nice development in a nice area.  Only problem is small homes and small plot sizes...but you may prefer that.  L&H has a good rep.  That area has some pretty good developments and fairly new.  Collina, Bliss, Prego....you should check them all out.

I seem to remember L&H were known for building MooBaans that flooded ........ but I'm old and my memory may be wrong.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I seem to remember L&H were known for building MooBaans that flooded ........ but I'm old and my memory may be wrong.

I've not heard of that.  But L&H has developments all over the place.  Stands to reason some may be in flood prone areas.  San Kamphaeng is not known for being flood prone.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yes they specialized in moobaans for houseboats, fisherman and duck farmers so chose flood prone areas.

About everything I've looked at built under 7 years ago has crappy build quality & minimal materials.....Even when specific materials are stipulated to be used they are usually scimped on - unless you are there to approve & follow the daily progress + approve materials & construction methods.....Be your own foreman....

Houses built around 10-15 years ago tend to be a better build with labor, methods, and materials....

I have previously checked houses. Quality is not always good. Problems to look for were cracks around all 4 corners of windows and tops of doorways. They don't have a habit of using lintels to reinforce openings. The lack of the use of damp proof courses in the footings gives way to rising damp giving an uncomfortable musty damp smell. If you have a house built insist on these features being dealt with.

On 9/25/2017 at 6:33 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Mae Rim is too far out of town, as is Doi Saket IMHO.

Only the hardiest and most solitary of foreigners can live that far out.

Doi Saket to town - out of rush hour - 20 minutes. Too far ... 555

Peace and quiet, away from most whining farangs - priceless

If I were to look for a housing development , I would only buy in one of the older developments and then something at a bargain price. Don't see the attraction of the new builds which are mostly inferior quality and tiny lots.

Better to buy something with land and add a coat of paint !

Thank you to everyone!  The constructive comments are appreciated!  

It's always interesting to read the ongoing dialogue between some forum members as they "duke it out" on issues of morality, trust, and failed relationships.... That's what makes the world go around!

I'll be checking for various construction issues that have been brought up as I narrow down my choices.

Best wishes to everyone!   ..and thanks again! 

Perhaps the moderators would like to close this discussion now.

15 minutes ago, cmsally said:

If I were to look for a housing development , I would only buy in one of the older developments and then something at a bargain price. Don't see the attraction of the new builds which are mostly inferior quality and tiny lots.

Better to buy something with land and add a coat of paint !

Two advantages of new builds (apart from no ghosts) ..........

1. Developer will persuade the bank to give you a home loan.

2. Price of house published for everyone to see (no special foreigner ++++$$$$$++++ price).

I wanted an older house, but my misses always arranged to cheat me with the seller (usually for around 500k).

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Doi Saket to town - out of rush hour - 20 minutes. Too far ... 555

Peace and quiet, away from most whining farangs - priceless

20 minutes??, never managed it in less that 30 mins, at midnight with no traffic, 40 minutes if I went the Bosang way.

12 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I wanted an older house, but my misses always arranged to cheat me with the seller (usually for around 500k).

Okay, more than once but how many times did she manage that?  Or was it several different misses?

Just now, Dante99 said:

Okay, more than once but how many times did she manage that?  Or was it several different misses?

She tried with 3 different prospective purchases in Chiang Mai, gotta love Thai wives and their 'commissions'. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, Berkshire said:

Firstly, you want to be outside the city.  The question then is where.  Maejo?  Mae Rim?  San Kamphaeng?  Hang Dong?  Lamphun?  As for the resale market, the problem is everyone thinks their home is worth at least what they paid for it...with some appreciation.  But who's going to buy a used home when they can buy a new one for the same price, or even less?  I will say the land has appreciated in some areas.

I lived in Lamphun for years and would never recommend it as somewhere for a farang to live, unless listening to the all night karaokes is one's idea of entertainment.

The "council" never fixes anything far as I could see, and the roads/ traffic is diabolical for such a small place.