Yingluck has nothing to win by coming to court Sept 27: Democrat leader

snoop1130

Yingluck has nothing to win by coming to court Sept 27: Democrat leader

By The Nation

31924e66cdd082e6cd6916794437d51c.jpeg

Abhisit

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Monday that postponement of the court-verdict reading in the case against former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra could affect how the defendant approaches an appeal once the new law governing criminal procedures against holders of political office receives royal assent.

If the law was promulgated before the verdict was read, the defendant in this case must appeal before the court to make an appeal, while there would be no statute of limitations regarding the case.

Under current criminal law, a court is given the freedom to prolong reading the verdict in the event that a defendant is absent. An arrest warrant would be issued and a deadline set for finding and returning the defendant. The court would then decide whether or not it would read the verdict in absentia.

This is because the law stipulates that an opportunity must first be made to ensure the court reads the verdict before a defendant, Abhisit said. This suggests the court could read, or choose not to read, the verdict against Yingluck on the September 27 date previously announced by the judges.

However, if the court read the verdict and sentenced her to time in jail, it is likely that Yingluck would not give herself up. An appeal would also not guarantee a victory and her freedom.

Abhisit said these scenarios make it unlikely that Yingluck would show up at the court on September 27 to hear the verdict in charges that she was derelict in her duty to ensure proper procedures were followed in relation to her government’s rice pledging scheme.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30327638

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-25

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, halloween said:

How many criminals jump a B30 million bail, flee the country, and then come back to hear their verdict read?

Nice try but we all know the courts are politicized and, more importantly, the Thai public know. I don't know anyone who blames Yingluck from escaping the obvious. 

Were not talking about a hugh sentence here--- if the lady really believes in what she stands for--(like her counter part in Burma) then go to jail, the world would be on your side. Her brother only got 2 years---he is possibly thinking he may have made the wrong move now in legging it.

Just a few who stayed---- and went on to be the leaders & written in history

Aung San Suu

Mahatma Gandhi

Benazir Bhutto

Lech Walesa

Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Were not talking about a hugh sentence here--- if the lady really believes in what she stands for--(like her counter part in Burma) then go to jail, the world would be on your side. Her brother only got 2 years---he is possibly thinking he may have made the wrong move now in legging it.

Aung San Suu

Mahatma Gandhi

Benazir Bhutto

Lech Walesa

Nelson Mandela

The feeling was that the sentence would have been very substantial. Aung San Suu Kyi was only under house arrest not in some dingy Thai jail so no comparison there and there were rumours of something 'happening' and the CCTV mysteriously under 'maintenance' (again). There was no choice and any sane person would have done the same.

No its not so binjalin..she was jailed and put into solitary confinement in 2003, as in most of these cases the UN and other government's put pressure on for her release... the home jail was for 15 years. So yes lots of comparison to the lady who decided to run.

11 minutes ago, binjalin said:

there and there were rumours of something 'happening

yes.. well I do not have your contacts obviously, so I dont know of all the mysterious rumours --but killing a political prisoner is usually a step much to far. Even the south African government wouldn't contemplate it with Mandela. And he was quite a lot more of a pain than Yingluck, who essentially, as most people recognise,  is just her brothers puppet.

As you probably know when her brother done a runner, he left his lawyers with the mess & they were jailed because of it. Jail time..according to them was quite an easy experience  1 to a cell their meals brought in etc...its not quite the same life as the village bag snatcher.

Whichever my personal sympathies for Mr Abhisit might be, he lost a great opportunity here to keep his mouth shut, or has he decided to align the 'communication' of his clueless sinking party on the most totally adverse one of all-things-military in this country? You disappointed me today, sir

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Aung San Suu

Mahatma Gandhi

Benazir Bhutto

Lech Walesa

Nelson Mandela

Dear 'oxo', in 1947, 'oxo' was in Europe a powerfull beef concentrate (until components had to be listed on the label, and it showed there was about no beef in it...) cheaply 'giving strength' to the poor working class (mixed with boiling water). It is still sold, and, maybe, you had it pure, an overdose... to be able to write such stuff.

For me, you reached the exact opposite effect, reminding me of the dark lord Thaksin comparing himself to Gandhi and Mandela... Even when the clone/puppet would not have fled (as she repeated tens and tens of times she would never do...), comparing, in any possible way, those spineless selfish con-artists with any name on your list is a deep insult to any and all of them! Get real, please! 

Edited by bangrak

9 hours ago, bangrak said:

'oxo', in 1947, 'oxo' was in Europe a powerfull beef concentrate (until components had to be listed on the label, and it showed there was about no beef in it...) cheaply 'giving strength' to the poor working class (mixed with boiling water). It is still sold, and, maybe, you had it pure, an overdose... to be able to write such stuff.

That's very good bangrak--thank you for the history of oxo---

However I do think you may have missed my point a little, This line

"if the lady really believes in what she stands for-- then go to jail, the world would be on your side."

Ergo -: the lady does not believe what she says she stands for , but after many promises to her deluded followers that she would stay and fight, she would rather give the government 30 million in bail money and go live in luxury in Dubai.

The people I listed took the harder more principled  stance, than the run-away Yingluck and her brother.

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

"if the lady really believes in what she stands for-- then go to jail, the world would be on your side."

Ergo -: the lady does not believe what she says she stands for , but after many promises to her deluded followers that she would stay and fight, she would rather give the government 30 million in bail money and go live in luxury in Dubai.

The people I listed took the harder more principled  stance, than the run-away Yingluck and her brother.

But wouldn't that make her brother look (more) like a complete AH and coward?

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Complete nonsense of course. No one I know blames her for escaping the dangers of a Military Junta court and jail. Seems to me that you support the unelected and, of course, that's your right but its surprising. PTP won every election for decades, you might not like democracy, but that's the way it works!

I see a few 'farangs' twist history and a few more laud the Military Junta but I expected more from you. The case against Y should never have been brought it's a political farce, whatever you think of Y, it's just wrong ethically.

4 minutes ago, binjalin said:

Complete nonsense of course. No one I know blames her for escaping the dangers of a Military Junta court and jail. Seems to me that you support the unelected and, of course, that's your right but its surprising. PTP won every election for decades, you might not like democracy, but that's the way it works!

I see a few 'farangs' twist history and a few more laud the Military Junta but I expected more from you. The case against Y should never have been brought it's a political farce, whatever you think of Y, it's just wrong ethically.

Ignoring the irrelevant and inaccurate  "PTP won every election for decades" BS, are you claiming she is innocent of negligence, or just trying to skip that detail?

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Ignoring the irrelevant and inaccurate  "PTP won every election for decades" BS, are you claiming she is innocent of negligence, or just trying to skip that detail?

All governments have policies and some will not be as successful as others. You suggest jailing Obama?  Blair?  Bush?  The place to get rid of poor governments is the ballot box. This is political as well you know.

2 minutes ago, binjalin said:

All governments have policies and some will not be as successful as others. You suggest jailing Obama?  Blair?  Bush?  The place to get rid of poor governments is the ballot box. This is political as well you know.

That was changing the subject, not answering the question.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

That was changing the subject, not answering the question.

It's the international standard. Democratically elected Ministers cannot be hounded for decisions made in office UNLESS it's illegal (i.e. corruption).

In the annals of governmental history many Ministers were incompetent  (WMD? Poll Tax?  Iraq?  and 1000s other examples). Anyway we are off-topic.

15 minutes ago, binjalin said:

It's the international standard. Democratically elected Ministers cannot be hounded for decisions made in office UNLESS it's illegal (i.e. corruption).

In the annals of governmental history many Ministers were incompetent  (WMD? Poll Tax?  Iraq?  and 1000s other examples). Anyway we are off-topic.

That's nice, but the charge isn't incompetence, though she had plenty of that, it is negligence. To wit " to find negligence proved, there must be a duty of care, the defendant must have breached that duty, and that breach must have caused the loss or damage sustained by the plaintiff. "

30 minutes ago, binjalin said:

No one I know blames her for escaping the dangers of a Military Junta court and jail.

That, i think, says more about the circles you move within than it does about anything else.

Funny how the same people who were lauding how noble, brave and fearless she was a few weeks ago, for sticking around for the trial and not doing a runner, and now the same people lauding how smart, astute and great she is for having not stuck around and for having done a runner.

The fawners are an easily impressed bunch.

6 minutes ago, rixalex said:

The fawners are an easily impressed bunch.

Yes rixalex...but dont forget Binjalin "special inside Info" that we are not privy to....

" and there were rumours of something 'happening' "--Binjalin .......WOOooooooooo .......:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947

14 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Aung San Suu

Mahatma Gandhi

Benazir Bhutto

Lech Walesa

Nelson Mandela

The five names above are giants in the political pantheon, unfortunately, Yingluck Shinawatra, although much adored by many in Thailand, is nowhere near that class. Her situation is not of world importance or significance.

Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma  (The Lady) stood for democracy against the military junta, served prison time and years of house arrest (21 years).  Nobel Prize.

Mahatma Gandhi fought for the independence of India from British rule. Assassinated 1948. (Nobel Prize never awarded)

Benazir Bhutto, Pakistani P.M. involved in corruption scandals. Assassinated 2007

Lech Walesa, Polish president and politician, headed solidarity movement. Nobel Prize.

Nelson Mandela. South African prisoner (27 years), politician and President. Lead the fight against apartheid. Nobel Prize.

I agree with you, that had she stayed and "faced the music"' , she may well have achieved a minor martyrdom in Thailand. She was always Thaksin's proxy and probably a nice person in private, but unfortunately for her, she will go down in history as a sister of Thaksin.

IMO, She did not run away, she was told to leave, or else! 

Edited by ratcatcher

22 minutes ago, halloween said:

The most memorable thing she ever said was "Thank you three times" while reading a speech somebody else wrote.

That's so out of date. Here is the latest catch-phrase. 

"Prayut said sorry three times yesterday to some senior doctors while visiting the Stock Exchange of Thailand. He made the apology while giving a speech to executives of capital and securities companies and later in an interview to the media".