Soldiers get more jail time for attack on community over Tungkum mine

webfact

Soldiers get more jail time for attack on community over Tungkum mine

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION

2ea637676d0e7d09bd914d10eb04da99.jpg

Seven female activists, who have been charged in a public assembly case in relation to the Tungkum gold mine, appear at Loei Provincial Court yesterday to respond to a court summons.

TWO SOLDIERS who led an armed attack on a local community near Tungkum gold mine to open a blockade on a gold transportation route had their sentences extended yesterday.

Loei Provincial Court yesterday read the Regional 4 Appeal Court verdict.

The lawyer representing local people, Sor Rattanamanee Polkla, said after the court delivered the verdict that Lt-Colonel Poramin Pomnak’s jail term had been extended to four years and 12 months and Lt-General Porapet Pomnak’s sentence had been extended to two years 16 months. The amount of compensation to the plaintiffs of Bt165,600 remained unchanged.

They had previously been sentenced in Criminal Court for harming others, detaining others and unlawfully possessing firearms. The two defendants were found guilty of leading a group of armed men to attack a local community near Tungkum gold mine and open a blocked gold-mine shipping route on September 15, 2014. Three local people were detained by the group and many were beaten.

Sor Rattanamanee said that the local people were happy with the verdict and would not appeal to the Supreme Court, while the defendants can appeal to the Supreme Court within 30 days.

They were seeking bail permission.

Pleading innocent

Also yesterday, seven local female activists appeared at Loei Provincial Court accused of violating the Public Gathering Act by illegally arranging the protest at Tambon Khao Luang Administrative Organisation on November 16, 2016.

Sor Rattanamanee said the activists had told the court that they did not commit the crime and there will be on further investigation on this case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30327660

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-26

Sorry. I appear to be chronologically challenged but isn't...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

four years and 12 months

5-years? And...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

two years 16 months

3-years and 4-months?

Perhaps someone could kindly get back with me in the next hour and sixty minutes? :blink:

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

"....jail term had been extended to four years and 12 months and Lt-General Porapet Pomnak’s sentence had been extended to two years 16 months. "

Arrrrhhhhhmmmm...

I sent my application for the job of The Nation's proof reader a while ago but it was returned saying it was a reserved for Thais profession.

10 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I sent my application for the job of The Nation's proof reader a while ago but it was returned saying it was a reserved for Thais profession.

I did too. But the Nation told me the position had already been filled; 2-weeks and 27-days ago.

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

"....jail term had been extended to four years and 12 months and Lt-General Porapet Pomnak’s sentence had been extended to two years 16 months. "

Arrrrhhhhhmmmm...

It is a combination of sentencing for more than one charge. It is two years for one offense and 16 months on a second. While I agree that tallying it all to give a more logical and less confusing total would help, it is not how it is done here. The lawyer I work for had a client a couple of years back got 5 years and 54 months. The reduction on sentences in amnesties is where it becomes important, as sentences of months receives a better reduction percentage than those in years apparently.

Edited by darksidedog

36 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It is a combination of sentencing for more than one charge. It is two years for one offense and 16 months on a second. While I agree that tallying it all to give a more logical and less confusing total would help, it is not how it is done here. The lawyer I work for had a client a couple of years back got 5 years and 54 months. The reduction on sentences in amnesties is where it becomes important, as sentences of months receives a better reduction percentage than those in years apparently.

Adding the sentences might erroneous if they are to be served concurrently. I don't know if they do that here, or if all sentences are consecutive.

And the 2 terms are far too confusing for a Thai reporter.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

jail term had been extended to four years and 12 months

I wopuld say that would be approx. 5 years. :clap2:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

sentence had been extended to two years 16 months

This one is even worse! Not worth mentioning, actually. Nice to get some small little interesting math problems for the morning coffée. Some news people thinks about everything. :cheesy: