2.5 GB of free storage left on Asus netbook

crabstix

I am using an Asus E200HA netbook with 2GB or Ram running windows 10 64Bit Atom processor 1.44Ghz 

I have recently formatted it and deleted all unwanted bloatware before installing windows updates. I am left with 2.5GB of free storage. That's before uninstalling anything on it! I consider myself to be a minimalist and need only 6 programs. I need to use MS powerpoint, word and run Avast, Evernote, CCleaner, Audacity free sound editor. That's all I need. I.  I have a 32GB SD card to store programs. Is it possible for me to free up some more space so that I can run all these programs and have space for future Microsoft updates? I hope to get at least a year's extra use out of this netbook (I bought it in 2016.)

If you have 32 GBb of storage and after formatting and reinstalling W10 you have only 2.5 GB left then you have done something wrong.

W10 fully updated, including all drivers does not use 28 - 29.5 GB of space.

Check on your C: drive for a folder named Windows Old, retrieve any files you want to keep and delete the folder using Disk Cleanup.

Get rid of Avast........windows defender does just as good and already built in.

As above C drive right click properties and "windows old" folder should show.....it automatically deletes any old duplicate files itself after 10 days or so :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, crabstix said:

I am using an Asus E200HA netbook with 2GB or Ram running windows 10 64Bit Atom processor 1.44Ghz 

I have recently formatted it and deleted all unwanted bloatware before installing windows updates. I am left with 2.5GB of free storage. That's before uninstalling anything on it! I consider myself to be a minimalist and need only 6 programs. I need to use MS powerpoint, word and run Avast, Evernote, CCleaner, Audacity free sound editor. That's all I need. I.  I have a 32GB SD card to store programs. Is it possible for me to free up some more space so that I can run all these programs and have space for future Microsoft updates? I hope to get at least a year's extra use out of this netbook (I bought it in 2016.)

First off, after formatting you will not have the full 32GB of your drive available as usable space.

A clean install to maximize space would be - Obtain clean Win10 Home edition from Microsoft + Format + Install + Run update + Get drivers from Asus if needed + Activate

Then you have a super clean Win10 to go online and learn how to gain a little more drive space if needed.

44 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Use a Linux distro.  It will have all you need, and more.  I binned Windows 10 long ago; best thing I did.

I often recommend Linux at carefully selected situations. Eg Man with old PC wants to bring it back to life.

Sweeping into Windows 10 conversations with "Linux is better" statements just gets the community a bad name.

Food for your Linux desktop thoughts - A Windows user heavily reliant on professional support applications like Autocad has no choice but to stick with Windows. This situation wont change while Linux desktop remains trapped inside an unfunded too many cooks box.

37 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I often recommend Linux at carefully selected situations. Eg Man with old PC wants to bring it back to life.

Sweeping into Windows 10 conversations with "Linux is better" statements just gets the community a bad name.

Food for your Linux desktop thoughts - A Windows user heavily reliant on professional support applications like Autocad has no choice but to stick with Windows. This situation wont change while Linux desktop remains trapped inside an unfunded too many cooks box.

Linix is good I agree but better is very subjective. I use both and to be honest I find very little advantage between them.

34 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I was "heavily reliant" on Windows for a long time, in a professional capacity, at the same time using linux when and where I could.  I no longer have that hang-up.

Sweeping into Windows 10 conversations with, "Linux is better" statements giving the community a bad name?  What crap!  "Linux is better" are your words, not mine.  Yes, better for me, without a doubt.  I was just giving the OP another option, being that the only apps he will be using are either freely available or will work on the linux system.

You stick with Windows; it's a free world.  Well, free for linux users.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

how big is the hard drive in the machine, and i assume when you say a 32gb sd that is in addition to the netbook hard drive.

They use 32gb of fixed eMMC storage like you find in tablets and stuff.
Sounds crazy but that's all you get and its really all a Win10 netbook needs.