international / bi-lingual

ArranP

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 4:22 PM, backtofront said:

Any suggestions for bilingual schools in Bangkok? Kids are citizens, speak a little Thai but don't read or write.

Amnuay Silpa near Phaya Thai. Full British curriculum taught alongside Thai. Not cheap though as they now have full western management and all staff are fully qualified. 

• 1 month later...
Any suggestions for bilingual schools in Bangkok? Kids are citizens, speak a little Thai but don't read or write.
Looking for the same suggestion. Kids are half Thai, early primary age, English is their main language but they speak and understand some Thai. This sounds silly but how Thai is the Thai portion of a bilingual school? Their current Thai ability is by no means equivalent to if they had been raised solely in Thai so while I'm keen to immerse them in some Thai when we move to BKK I'm concerned the bilingual school will be too much. Any thoughts or experiences. The Amnuay Silpa school looks ok.

Most bilingual schools teach approximately 50% of the time in each language.   It's important to remember, this is the academic subjects.   In most bilingual schools, the more mundane, day-to-day instructions about events, changes and other things are given in Thai. Extracurricular activities such as scouting and some religious instruction are usually in Thai.  

I would guess in total, MOST bilingual students would be hearing, learning or listening to Thai anywhere from 65% - 75% of the time.  

Most bilingual schools teach approximately 50% of the time in each language.   It's important to remember, this is the academic subjects.   In most bilingual schools, the more mundane, day-to-day instructions about events, changes and other things are given in Thai. Extracurricular activities such as scouting and some religious instruction are usually in Thai.  

I would guess in total, MOST bilingual students would be hearing, learning or listening to Thai anywhere from 65% - 75% of the time.  
So really this is best for Thai speakers to improve English rather than English speakers to improve Thai. It seems like kings would struggle without the foundation in Thai

8 hours ago, Nakrob said:
On 2/8/2018 at 3:33 AM, Scott said:

So really this is best for Thai speakers to improve English rather than English speakers to improve Thai. It seems like kings would struggle without the foundation in Thai

Bilingual schools in Thailand are geared toward teaching children whose native language is Thai.   There are bilingual programs in other countries with different target languages.  I know one person who went to a Spanish bilingual school in the US.   It was geared for students who were native English speakers who wished to learn Spanish.  

Bilingual schools are also geared toward teaching children, who learn a little differently than adults.  

One teacher at an International School told me he recommended the English Program School for students who plan to attend college in Thailand and the International schools are geared toward attending college outside Thailand. I think the EP is good for our kid but still requires a native English speaker at home to fine tune the education.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

One teacher at an International School told me he recommended the English Program School for students who plan to attend college in Thailand and the International schools are geared toward attending college outside Thailand. I think the EP is good for our kid but still requires a native English speaker at home to fine tune the education.

As a general rule that would be correct.   From an educational point of view, it is important for students to learn in the target language that they will pursue higher education.   Being able to speak a language and to learn in that language are two different things.  

Each academic subject has its own terms and vernacular and people need to sufficiently familiar with the language to completely understand and conceptualize the material.  

So, if the plan is to send the student to an overseas University, then by all means, the international schools and those with good English programs are the best option.   For those attending a Thai University or program, then a Thai school or bilingual is a good option.  

If you are not sure, then a bilingual program is the option that provides both choices.  

Archived