Long term stay for Filipino

I'm considering bringing my girlfriend to Thailand from the Philippines.  As an ASEAN country, I understand that she gets 30 days on arrival which I'm hoping is extendable for another 30 days.  However it would be nice if she could stay longer.  Can anyone provide any advice on best strategy for a long term stay for a girl from the Philippines who doesn't have a work permit?  

Immigration are suspicious of filipino's, especially if young, entering Thailand as many of them are working, so it would be better to avoid entering using the visa exempt scheme to avoid additional scrutiny. She qualifies for visa exempt entry because the Philippines is one of the countries included in the scheme, not because it's an ASEAN country. 

It would be better for her to arrive with at least a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV). She would get permission to stay for 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days at immigration. It's possible to get new Tourist Visas locally to Thailand. I don't know if Multiple Entry Tourist Visas (METV) are available to her in the Philippines. There will be strict employment/financial requirements if it is. A METV would give multiple entries for 6 months, but require leaving/returning every 60/90 days. It's possible to stay in Thailand for nearly 9 months with the METV.

Otherwise she could pay 500K baht for her to stay 5 years with a Thai Elite visa. Or, as suggested, sign up to a language school and get them to sponsor a Non-Immigrant 'ED' visa, which would give her an initial 90 days that could be extended.

A 30 day one way visa will not work. They need confirmation ticket / date of return. I have taken my partner from Philippines to Thailand 4 times. 

The problem is getting them out of Philippines. My gf would not of gotten out of the country if I was not accompanying her on the first 3 trips. She dresses nicely and is conservative by nature. We have a 10 year age difference.

Each time I have had to show PI immigration photos with dates to display length of relationship as well as email history and proof of ability to support.

They have told her EVERY time to not overstay her visa to avoid issues on return.

I think the best way is for her to visit here several times and see how she likes it. There are job opportunities she can apply for and then she can have a work permit.

Alternatively you could apply for student visa and enrol into Thai school where attandence is minimal. You will have to pay for tuition up front.

The problem I have found is not Thailand but the Philippines as they are aware that many Pinays get abused and are looking out for their best interests.

In the end my gf got bored as I was at work every day and all Thais tried to speak Thai to her. She also missed her own food and could not handle the spicy food. We had a lot of fun and she will be back again soon, but finding a permanent solution is difficult.

• Like 1

If she goes to the Thai embassy in Manila, preferably with you, as an ASEAN country member she does not pay for a 60 day visa. This can be extended in Thailand for 30 days for 1900 baht. My Filipina GF gets 2 a year for the last 5 years no problems. You should write a letter of invitation, detailing your history together, evidence of your financial ability, reasons she will return to Phils etc. She will need to show a return ticket and proof of travel insurance is a good idea. 

There are lots of Filipinas in Pattaya, many working there and when she meets them she will get a better idea of her longer-term options

On 9/27/2017 at 8:19 PM, XJPSX said:

A 30 day one way visa will not work. They need confirmation ticket / date of return. I have taken my partner from Philippines to Thailand 4 times. 

The problem is getting them out of Philippines. My gf would not of gotten out of the country if I was not accompanying her on the first 3 trips. She dresses nicely and is conservative by nature. We have a 10 year age difference.

Each time I have had to show PI immigration photos with dates to display length of relationship as well as email history and proof of ability to support.

They have told her EVERY time to not overstay her visa to avoid issues on return.

I think the best way is for her to visit here several times and see how she likes it. There are job opportunities she can apply for and then she can have a work permit.

Alternatively you could apply for student visa and enrol into Thai school where attandence is minimal. You will have to pay for tuition up front.

The problem I have found is not Thailand but the Philippines as they are aware that many Pinays get abused and are looking out for their best interests.

In the end my gf got bored as I was at work every day and all Thais tried to speak Thai to her. She also missed her own food and could not handle the spicy food. We had a lot of fun and she will be back again soon, but finding a permanent solution is difficult.

I have seen several posters say that the girl should travel by herself and not with BF because PI immigration would think she will be exploited. Not true?

• 10 months later...

When we left the country Philippine Immigration noticed that this was her first trip out of the country.  They took her off to the side to Human Trafficking and interviewed her to make sure we have a legitimate relationship.  Went through her phone and wanted to see emails, chat messages and photos of us, it was rather invasive.  Fortunately we had done some traveling within the country and she had those.  Then they brought me in and interviewed me to see if our answers were consistent.  Asked how we met, how long we had known each other, what her birthdate is, whether I had met her parents and what they thought.  Gave us 59 days and told us that she had to be back in the Philippines within that time or they would look for me.  Fortunately, we had the right answers, she had photos of us and there was some chat history although we had recently switched over from Messenger to Viber and she had apparently deleted the Messenger chat history.  Even still it was a strange experience and took quite a while.  It was a good thing we had arrived at the airport early.