New traffic tickets in use by December

webfact

22 hours ago, David Walden said:

9 out of 10 for that answer.

Well u are only doing what most Thais do  They think it just a big joke when they get a ticket Most dont even know what the ticket is for Prob think its a train ticket

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/28/2017 at 10:29 PM, Peterphuket said:

The first thing, they have to do when they stop you, is to ask for car/motor licence, and driver licence.

That is the first they have to do, all the times they stop me, they never ask me for that, in contrast to Europe.

You mean licence and registration? Indeed, that is what is asked for all the time in America. Never in Thailand - at most your driver's licence is requested but that's it. One time driving a Lao car in Bangkok I was asked by the police for my temporary import documents, the same happening to me driving a Thai car in Laos and also in Cambodia. The police easily pounce on foreign cars, usually just to extract some money out of them (this is virtually guaranteed to happen in some Cambodian cities) but they rarely stop you for actual offences except if you cut off someone and there happens to be an officer nearby.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:41 AM, Happyman58 said:

Well u are only doing what most Thais do  They think it just a big joke when they get a ticket Most dont even know what the ticket is for Prob think its a train ticket

Most don't pay. I hear that operators of vehicles which are on finance will have their fines sent to the finance company that owns the car. Even then, the owners of these vehicles don't pay the fines and there seems to be little consequence to this, despite threats to disallow vehicle registration for the following year until the fines are paid.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:27 AM, thailand49 said:

I disagree,  first this country has enough money since they are building all those roads and making toll booths for the using them to have a national computer system to track all drivers whether they have a license or not.  There are millions of Thai who are driving throughout Thailand for work or during their holidays and that includes you Brother in-law. Since he likes to abuse the law how does the province he might visit arrest him for drinking know he has already had 2-3 offenses so they can take him to the monkey house. How does the thousands of tour mini-van drivers who travel the roads of Thailand get tracked for example. Is it only when they kill someone that they do the homework?

The share fact that the ticket system isn't updated and another fact as you will agree is the lack of enforcement in this case several offenses yet they continue to allow him to drink and drive that is the problem. Those who can do something about it don't because they don't really believe thinking the honor system actually works.

Last,  the real fact is a person who drink can't even walk but O.K. to drive is why so many are dead today. Thais have brought into the ignorance that " this is thailand "  and when that happens they got one foot already in the grave.

What will happen is that no matter how many times he has been caught for drink driving, as long as he offers the right amount to the police officer who catches him, he'll go free. Nobody cares about previous offenses, this is Thailand not the USA.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:31 PM, thailand49 said:

You have the freedom to express your opinion now let me take my freedom and express my opinion as to your remark!

First, I think I can safely say we come from western countries that has an enormous amount of freedom to free speech. Just because we visit or live in Thailand doesn't mean we can close the door to a right we have all our lives. I feel those who aren't afraid to speak up are the hero's of the world for they are the one who speak for the one's who can't or won't but benefit the most.

To you speaking out on the problems here is bashing Thais, it should be noted, those who have a negative about Thailand didn't wake up one morning and say here we go I'm going to get them much of the negative are much deserve so it is no surprise whenever a topic such as this comes up the majority of opinions are just that, it is not rocket science.  Whenever I hear someone say if you don't like it pack up your bags and get out, it reminds me in the States people telling the Blacks to go back where they came from as if they had a greater right to stay in the country!

Second, Thailand isn't North Korea!  Thailand leaders want to be part of the International community ( United Nations/Asean ) for example have their hands pimping themselves to the world including China. In the past ten years they have accepted millions of dollars from the World Health Organization for help regarding the issue of accidents and death yet in those ten years instead of improving they have regress to being unofficially number #1 in the world for accidents and death. When a country opens themselves up to the world accept money and help they also open themselves up to criticism and that is exactly what they are getting in this thread and many others!  Whether you or Thais understand it or not!  The term " This is Thailand " just doesn't hold water in my book!

Third, in general many Thais have no idea where cars and motorbike were invented. There are so many patriotic Thais who seem to think Thailand is the center of the world and that makes them stupid.  As one Thai official once said " the more patriotic the more stupid ".  The car and bike were invented in the West and the driving rules the big difference no one ever explained the real implication as to how to apply those rules, generations, they have turn those rules into being into a big joke that today it is killing the greatest resource of their country and that is Thai lives!  If for no other reason everyone should speak out instead of going home!  A country of this size, great place to live, wonderful exchange rate , regardless of the corruption can do much better especially for their own people.  

This is a simple fix but their leaders don't have the fortitude to do it along with just not having an idea as to how go about it.  The simple fact you can put up all the smoke and mirror which they have been for 10 years and nothing changes. Nothing works except 24/7 enforcement, and enforcement isn't a pat on the back, coming out with a new form,  respect Buddha, don't do it again and hope the honor system works down the road. New flash it hasn't!  Enforcement is got to be harsh just like the West, because we are dealing with lives, driving is a PRIVILEGE AND NOT A RIGHT as they think here in Thailand. When a driver regardless of their economic situation break the law they got to lose something of value that makes them think twice and if they got to lose their freedom so be it. Human nature and that includes us if you have little chance of a lost and your kids are old enough to see and learn that the production of death continues as we know children will mimic children and that is what is happening here. 

As for going home no chance and I will continue to voice my opinion although not Thai until maybe one day someone hears me.  I suggest you think about going home yourself since you don't seem to have much to contribute to saving lives, you can be the solution or the problem!!!!

Good day, you got my 2cent and some change!

All I get from your post is that the authorities should tell people what to do "for their own good" just like what is happening in the west.

I think that provided you can afford to do so, driving should be considered a RIGHT (otherwise, what are you advocating for? A communist style system where everyone is forced onto mass transit and using bicycles when perfectly good cars and motorcycles are available?) but you also have responsibilities including driving safely and this requires both training and some common sense. However, common sense seems to be an increasingly scarce commodity, not just in Thailand but globally. It's all about "me, me, me" people just drive the way they see fit, disregarding the consequences this may have on other road users.

1 hour ago, jimster said:

What will happen is that no matter how many times he has been caught for drink driving, as long as he offers the right amount to the police officer who catches him, he'll go free. Nobody cares about previous offenses, this is Thailand not the USA.

I sounds like you have no idea what is happening, your thinking is why Thailand is the worse in the world.  Maybe you missed the earlier post,  cars and driving came from the West particularly the USA, the rules also, you actually think like the Thais it was invented here. Your thinking is why Thais continue to die, 25,000 plus and only raising. Go back and read your comment. Because it is Thailand, everyone including Thais should just except it!

Thailand is not a communist country, even communist country do a better job enforcing driving laws and view driving as a right and when you violate the laws of driving regularly you lose the privilege to do so. Drunk driving repeat offenders lose that right go to jail pay a big fine so maybe they don't kill a love one of yours, is that a bad thing?

What rights are people like you losing, what are you so afraid of? if you lost your right to drive because you just don't like to be told what to do. A gun is a weapon it can hurt or kill someone if you don't realize a vehicle is a weapon can do the same thing when handle by the wrong people. It is not the vehicle that kills it is the person behind the vehicle just like the gun!

We are talking about saving lives, and getting officials to actually enforce it saves one life through someone losing that privilege I'm not going to lose sleep over it!

Edited by thailand49

21 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I sounds like you have no idea what is happening, your thinking is why Thailand is the worse in the world.  Maybe you missed the earlier post,  cars and driving came from the West particularly the USA, the rules also, you actually think like the Thais it was invented here. Your thinking is why Thais continue to die, 25,000 plus and only raising. Go back and read your comment. Because it is Thailand, everyone including Thais should just except it!

Thailand is not a communist country, even communist country do a better job enforcing driving laws and view driving as a right and when you violate the laws of driving regularly you lose the privilege to do so. Drunk driving repeat offenders lose that right go to jail pay a big fine so maybe they don't kill a love one of yours, is that a bad thing?

What rights are people like you losing, what are you so afraid of? if you lost your right to drive because you just don't like to be told what to do. A gun is a weapon it can hurt or kill someone if you don't realize a vehicle is a weapon can do the same thing when handle by the wrong people. It is not the vehicle that kills it is the person behind the vehicle just like the gun!

We are talking about saving lives, and getting officials to actually enforce it saves one life through someone losing that privilege I'm not going to lose sleep over it!

You're talking like a communist, although to your credit, you at least admitted that it's the person behind the wheel (and the person firing a weapon in case of a gun) that can cause harm when handled by the wrong people. Yes, indeed communist countries enforce traffic rules more strictly, particularly China and Vietnam (not so much Laos though) but that's mostly as a way of ordering society than really caring about the road toll, which in both of these countries is also very, very high.

There are many ways of fixing the road toll in Thailand - better driver education, better roads (eliminating unnecessary u-turns, building more expressways that separate local and long distance traffic, u-turn bridges and underpasses where appropriate etc.) No one said anything about not enforcing the road rules - I think there should be more enforcement in the areas that really matter - like heavily punishing motorcycles going the wrong way down a road, dangerous drivers and various other offenses, but I disagree with a blanket nanny state like enforcement that makes drivers so fearful, they actually make the roads more dangerous, not safer. Such a situation already exists in countries like Australia.

2 hours ago, jimster said:

You're talking like a communist, although to your credit, you at least admitted that it's the person behind the wheel (and the person firing a weapon in case of a gun) that can cause harm when handled by the wrong people. Yes, indeed communist countries enforce traffic rules more strictly, particularly China and Vietnam (not so much Laos though) but that's mostly as a way of ordering society than really caring about the road toll, which in both of these countries is also very, very high.

There are many ways of fixing the road toll in Thailand - better driver education, better roads (eliminating unnecessary u-turns, building more expressways that separate local and long distance traffic, u-turn bridges and underpasses where appropriate etc.) No one said anything about not enforcing the road rules - I think there should be more enforcement in the areas that really matter - like heavily punishing motorcycles going the wrong way down a road, dangerous drivers and various other offenses, but I disagree with a blanket nanny state like enforcement that makes drivers so fearful, they actually make the roads more dangerous, not safer. Such a situation already exists in countries like Australia.

Maybe you are lost in the thread because you seem to be caught up in all this communist stuff and Nanny stuff. You are the one who has been on this blanket stuff into the discussion. 

The discussion is about a ticket as a form of enforcement, read my post, it seems you are saying all the same stuff I'm saying minus the communist nonsense!  You cite a lot of good stuff stuff I've learn in 40 years working transportation.  You want to pick and choose which is exactly what the Thais police is doing, it doesn't work here it doesn't work in the U.S. nor does it in Australia.  Again we are talking about saving lives everything you suggest or telling they should do isn't that a Nana State mentality!  Sometimes children need to be told and educated or even force when it benefits the death count!  That doesn't mean I want Thailand to be a communist country or taking all your blanket rights away.