Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/29/2017 at 9:26 PM, alexlm said:

They keep telling us "they are bad they lost billions of Bahts"... in every article, again and again, and again...

Brainwashing...

about the same cost of one of subs ordered from china .....bada bada bing ....

Just now, mikiea said:

about the same cost of one of subs ordered from china .....bada bada bing ....

i forgot ... the sub with the retractable wheels designed for beach patrol duty .....

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Which word do you not understand?

I asked: Where did I say I support Yingluck / Shins in general? Quote please.

And while you're at it, what is so different between the Shins and the other hiso? Mr T is not even in Thailand's top 10 of filthily rich (Forbes). As for corruption and cronyism, yes he is good at it, after all he is a hiso Thai, but how does he differ from the rest of the hiso?

Is your exclusive hatred based on the fact that he (mostly) used the little people rather than tanks to achieve his goals?

Please explain, I want to understand people like you.

Have to break my rule for this. Tit for Tat. Please quote where I said that I had exclusive hatred for (him) ((presumably Thaksin)) above all other Hiso's.   If you can recognise that you just imagine I said that, then please withdraw.   For the record, my most fervent reaction to Thaksin is one of huge disappointment.  He started so well and had the world at his feet here, (so to speak) if he just hadn't got greedy.  Was heading for being Thailand's Lee Kwan Yew and blew it!!  OH Laughing at his own joke.

Edited by The Deerhunter

3 hours ago, tropo said:

"time to mature". They had since 1932 to get it right and nothing has changed. It will never change. Even if they have an election, if the new PM doesn't please the military commander, they will remove him/her by force - yet again. Elections cost a lot of money and waste a lot of time.

"Elections cost a lot of money and waste a lot of time."

You could say exactly the same about a nation of 68.86 million people having an "active duty military" of 306,000 including 1750 Flag Officers...

I wonder whether there is any connection?

England has extradition treaty with Thailand ... hahaha so what the hell is gonna happen?? England is the first resort of all those culprits and runaway famous and rich with lots of ill gotten money..anyone would be happy there and no treaty would ever touch them if they throw in some money and English Laws would bend like Beckham .. 

13 minutes ago, Jasonron said:

England has extradition treaty with Thailand ... hahaha so what the hell is gonna happen?? England is the first resort of all those culprits and runaway famous and rich with lots of ill gotten money..anyone would be happy there and no treaty would ever touch them if they throw in some money and English Laws would bend like Beckham .. 

It didn't work for Mr. Taksin, did it? He wasn't short of cash.

35 minutes ago, JAG said:

The waste is the money spent on the bloated, untrained and largely unusable army. It could be cut by 2/3 with no appreciable effect on the security of the nation. 

A smaller military would not have the same influence, which would allow elected governments to govern. Then over time the voters could demand and insist on meaningful measures to tackle the corruption which blights the country...

That's fantasy and will never happen.

42 minutes ago, JAG said:

The waste is the money spent on the bloated, untrained and largely unusable army. It could be cut by 2/3 with no appreciable effect on the security of the nation. 

A smaller military would not have the same influence, which would allow elected governments to govern. Then over time the voters could demand and insist on meaningful measures to tackle the corruption which blights the country...

A sweet dream...

On 9/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, Dave67 said:

Obviously, you don't know what decent people in the world think about Thailand and its Military Junta, People get Asylum in the UK just for coming from a country with a Military Junta so persecuted ex-PM will sail through, might have a long legal process but in the end, she will win. Not many countries who have legal Military coups unless you rewrite a constitution of course but who on earth would keep doing that?

Guess I'll take my wife to the UK and claim asylum, then piggy-back in as her husband.  If they're extended asylum to Yingluck, then why not all Thais.  <rhetorical statement>

10 hours ago, Media1 said:

You people keep promoting colors also talking crappie.  Thai people need a real man with a western brain and a western vision for the country to prosper. These old men ain't it. There damaging development.

Like Abhisit perhaps. Thais didn't like him enough to vote him into power; probably his being regarded as not Thai enough being part of the reasoning.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It didn't work for Mr. Taksin, did it? He wasn't short of cash.

Really? He has a home in Surrey and visits the UK on a regular basis. I don't know if he has money invested now in the UK, but he has in the past (Man City football club) and foreigners have no problems buying upscale properties nationwide.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

As far as is known, he never applied for asylum so the UK never had to make a decision.

My apologies, you are correct. He was considering it but never made the application. His British visa was revoked in 2008. Obviously, things have changed now if what Champers says above is true - that he visits the UK frequently.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Oh yes, eventually it will happen, it happened in similar countries before, it will happen here as well, it is just a matter of time. The junta and their fan boys might think they have it all covered, but they are dead wrong. History teaches us this much.

And in this particular country it is long, long overdue. 

Edited by sjaak327

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

My apologies, you are correct. He was considering it but never made the application. His British visa was revoked in 2008. Obviously, things have changed now if what Champers says above is true - that he visits the UK frequently.

Thaksin was there a couple of weeks ago, tropo. Prawit was there at the same time and it was reported that the two met; Prawit strenuously denied they met.

Large swathes of property in London and other large UK cities are foreign owned, very often bought in company names to keep the buyer anonymous. If you read the English language papers here, there are regular large colour adverts for properties in London. It is one reason why London has a massive housing crisis, but that is another topic.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

10 hours ago, Jonah Tenner said:

A sweet dream...

Yes, you are absolutely right.

Of course, the influence and size of the army could be reduced. They would put up fight - not that I think it would last very long, despite all the medals and titles I don't think that they "could fight sleep" as the saying goes.

If and when that becomes widely recognised - that is when the current power base will collapse. Personally, I think that it could happen quite suddenly, quite fast, and be very messy. But it is inevitable, it just needs a catalyst.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, you are absolutely right.

Of course, the influence and size of the army could be reduced. They would put up fight - not that I think it would last very long, despite all the medals and titles I don't think that they "could fight sleep" as the saying goes.

If and when that becomes widely recognised - that is when the current power base will collapse. Personally, I think that it could happen quite suddenly, quite fast, and be very messy. But it is inevitable, it just needs a catalyst.

Are you suggesting that with a smaller army they wouldn't have enough tanks to roll into Bangkok when it's time for change?

It won't make any difference at all. Halve the size of the army, navy, and airforce and they will still have enough power to launch the next coup. It doesn't take much strength when you're pointing guns at unarmed civilians.

It would be wrong to assume that all the armed forces are in agreement about the direction the country is going in and who is leading it.

There is no shortage of support for Thaksin amongst the people holding weapons. Alliances can be/have been/will be made. If there is a change, I would hope it is bloodless.

27 minutes ago, champers said:

It would be wrong to assume that all the armed forces are in agreement about the direction the country is going in and who is leading it.

There is no shortage of support for Thaksin amongst the people holding weapons. Alliances can be/have been/will be made. If there is a change, I would hope it is bloodless.

There are generals who don't support Prayuth or the coup. They are not disciples of Thaksin either. They simply believe (and I agree) that the armed forces job is to defend the country but that it should have no role in running the country.  Prayuth and his ilk are simply limp dick megalomaniacs, who are trying do do something they are not in the least qualified to do. 

55 minutes ago, GarryP said:

There are generals who don't support Prayuth or the coup. They are not disciples of Thaksin either. They simply believe (and I agree) that the armed forces job is to defend the country but that it should have no role in running the country.  Prayuth and his ilk are simply limp dick megalomaniacs, who are trying do do something they are not in the least qualified to do. 

So where are these virtuous generals? It would be nice to hear from them from time to time!

18 hours ago, JAG said:

While certainly top heavy, Thai military spending (1.4% GDP) is quite modest compared to most countries, including yours. (UK 1.9% GDP). Do you post on UK forums similar to here?

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

So where are these virtuous generals? It would be nice to hear from them from time to time!

Probably protecting their gonads.

I know of one former member of Prayuth's class who despises him, but still smiles and acts all friendly when they have their class reunions. He says it is not worth the trouble to show his true colors especially as he has to consider his family.   

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

While certainly top heavy, Thai military spending (1.4% GDP) is quite modest compared to most countries, including yours. (UK 1.9% GDP). Do you post on UK forums similar to here?

But you get more soldiers to the baht here.

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

To be frank, although I am a member of a forum dedicated to the British Army ("Army Rumour Service "or "ARRSE" ) I rarely post.

Mind you, The British Army does not make a habit of staging coups to prevent the "wrong side" winning elections...

8 minutes ago, JAG said:

To be frank, although I am a member of a forum dedicated to the British Army ("Army Rumour Service "or "ARRSE" ) I rarely post.

Mind you, The British Army does not make a habit of staging coups to prevent the "wrong side" winning elections...

It's just as well the UK doesn't have any social problems that require additional funding oter wise you might be complaining about spending 6 billion quid on submarines, along with a long list of new purchases.

15 minutes ago, halloween said:

It's just as well the UK doesn't have any social problems that require additional funding oter wise you might be complaining about spending 6 billion quid on submarines, along with a long list of new purchases.

Now that you mentioned, spending 6 B on submarines and long list of other purchases and the salaries to maintain 1,500 generals are indeed wasteful when education, skill and training to meet economic expectation are sorely lacking. This problem UK don't have after spending and planning wisely. Not so for Thailand but the military got to have their toys Halloween and some into their greasy hands. 

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Now that you mentioned, spending 6 B on submarines and long list of other purchases and the salaries to maintain 1,500 generals are indeed wasteful when education, skill and training to meet economic expectation are sorely lacking. This problem UK don't have after spending and planning wisely. Not so for Thailand but the military got to have their toys Halloween and some into their greasy hands. 

It is one of the most top heavy armed forces in the world. Just get rid of the useless generals, which would leave less than a third of that number. The savings could be put to much better use.

Also don't forget the black budget which is not publicly disclosed and for which there is no oversight. How much of the money can actually be accounted for is one the mysteries up there with the Bermuda Triangle.  

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Sorry I was just pointing out a bit of hypocrisy, but any man that claims Suthep for a credible source (when it suits him) knows all about it.