Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

By Coconuts Bangkok

refgdh.JPG

Photo: Reuters

Former PM Yingluck Shinawatra, who fled a court ruling for criminal negligence last month, is allegedly in London and seeking political asylum in the UK, a source from her Pheu Thai Party told CNN yesterday.

Yingluck, 50, made a dramatic disappearance despite being heavily monitored and was a no-show at her Aug. 25 ruling for corruption charges. On Wednesday, the Supreme Court sentenced her to five years in prison, a verdict read in absentia after she fled the kingdom.

Yingluck’s administration was toppled in a 2014 coup and she was later put on trial for negligence over her government’s rice subsidy scheme, which is said to have cost the country billions of dollars.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/fugitive-ex-pm-yingluck-shinawatra-seeks-asylum-uk/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-09-29

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

She is seeking asylum,nowhere is it mentioned she got it.

Obviously, you don't know what decent people in the world think about Thailand and its Military Junta, People get Asylum in the UK just for coming from a country with a Military Junta so persecuted ex-PM will sail through, might have a long legal process but in the end, she will win. Not many countries who have legal Military coups unless you rewrite a constitution of course but who on earth would keep doing that?

Edited by Dave67

28 minutes ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

No, that will - ultimately, if pursued in law (ie an appeal) - be for a British judge to decide. Given the circumstances, she's unlikely to be extradited to Thailand, whether by the British government or a British judge.

49 minutes ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

I don't believe there are many western countries that would agree to extradite a deposed civilian PM to a country run by a military junta. I do not recall any successful extradition requests by this military government - but I am willing to be proved wrong.

Another comment: As far as I know there is no evidence that Yingluk is even in the UK, nor that she has applied for asylum - just a remark from a member of PT. In fact I have not seen any verifiable reports of her whereabouts at all.

Just now, alexlm said:

They keep telling us "they are bad they lost billions of Bahts"... in every article, again and again, and again...

Brainwashing...

Actually it was hundreds of billion baht. Quite a few of those billions of baht were paid as commissions to the Shinawatras favourite rice trader.

2 hours ago, z42 said:

This is sickening. She is a crook running from a just conviction. Just because the generals in charge are highly, highly distasteful shouldn't detract from the fact that strong evidence of criminal negligence was submitted and not debunked in court.

As a UK citizen whose spouse struggles to get in on the same nationality passport Yingluck has (without the criminal record) and certainly has no rights to abode there.

A disgrace, the UK govt are a bunch of corrupt, morally bankrupt turds ?

You are delusional and do not know the first thing about right and wrong. Firstly it is a criminal.offence in country to stage a coup and possibly instigate one. 

Secondly no ex PM should be threatened or pursued. She elected by the people for the people. On the other hand your friend forced his way in and gave himself a licence to steal. 

No one is listening to you son. The country has gone in reverse gear.

The great general can't visit my country due to this fact. Good luck

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

Obviously, you don't know what decent people in the world think about Thailand and its Military Junta, People get Asylum in the UK just for coming from a country with a Military Junta so persecuted ex-PM will sail through, might have a long legal process but in the end, she will win. Not many countries who have legal Military coups unless you rewrite a constitution of course but who on earth would keep doing that?

Correct a coup and fiddling is high treason in any language. She will sail through.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, there are many who do not believe that this was a "just conviction". 

In order to have a "just conviction", you must have a fair trial. if there is no fair trial, there cannot be a "just conviction". And, if a defendant is put on trial by the people who overthrew her, then it is not a fair trial. Period.

I hope that the UK grants her political asylum; I think she meets the threshold to get it.

Thailand fair trial haha. The worst courts known to man. 

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, there are many who do not believe that this was a "just conviction". 

In order to have a "just conviction", you must have a fair trial. if there is no fair trial, there cannot be a "just conviction". And, if a defendant is put on trial by the people who overthrew her, then it is not a fair trial. Period.

I hope that the UK grants her political asylum; I think she meets the threshold to get it.

" Oh how terribly nice to meet you Miss Shinawatra " .. 

_20170827_112430.JPG

42 minutes ago, Media1 said:

You are delusional and do not know the first thing about right and wrong. Firstly it is a criminal.offence in country to stage a coup and possibly instigate one. 

Secondly no ex PM should be threatened or pursued. She elected by the people for the people. On the other hand your friend forced his way in and gave himself a licence to steal. 

No one is listening to you son. The country has gone in reverse gear.

The great general can't visit my country due to this fact. Good luck

So you even don't know who's the real leader of Thailand???

I'm not allowed to write about the subject so i won't.

The coup came right on time because loads of angry farmers came to BKK as well...we already had hurds of Red's occupying streets/government buildings and bombings shootings.

The farmers were so angry and desperate because they didn't get paid from Yinglucks government. Many even hanged themselves already.

The ricetraders built hollow ricepiles and imported rice from neighbouring countries to get the double price in Thailand from Yingluck.

Haven't you heard about all the missing rice? 20.000 full trucks are missing iirc.

I'm happy with the army in control, feel much safer in BKK. Better have armyposts around the corner than bombing thugs.

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

There is no way Yingluck will be given political asylum in the UK, because Britain has too many business interests with Thailand including they would not want to upset international relations with Thailand. It simply won`t happen.

I personally believe this is a red herring, Yingluck probably made well laid plans with her supporters long ago, she knows exactly what`s she`s doing. I do agree with the report that it`s very convenient for the Thai government to have Yingluck well off the scene and why I`d bet my last penny she`ll never be caught and never be seen in Thailand again, exactly like her brother.

It was recently in the news in Europe that the government of Cyprus hands out passports to anyone that invests 2,5 million euro in their country - that's only a meagre 100 million baht.

Please note that these passports make the receiver a EU citizen....

Portugal does the same, but price unknown.

The EU parliament is not pleased, but is of course powerless.

Do European countries extradite EU citizens to Thailand? I don't think so!