Violence erupts as Catalans vote on split from Spain

webfact

13 hours ago, Grouse said:

You want the EU involved in sovereign nations? Make your mind up!

Your putting words in my mouth again.

What would you like the EU to do???

Apologize and condemn instead they are doing this below. If I remember you were happy with the Scottish vote as I was, so why is this illegal and about diversifying.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/brussels-puts-its-faith-in-mariano-rajoy-after-illegal-catalan-vote-c57q50b7p

The European Commission did not condemn police tactics such as the use of rubber bullets and baton charges. In contrast, the United Nations called on the Spanish authorities to investigate police violence and to accept human rights inspectors into Catalonia.

You want the EU involved in sovereign nations

The EU gets involved when it suits them. that's what they are about. When it is negative they stay quiet and those want to leave then they condemn, as the UK know. If it is such a great organization why don't they offer everyone a referendum? probably because there would be on a few countries left.

From the Left wing Guardian Newspaper. Even they agree the EU needs to condemn the violence from the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/02/catalan-government-emergency-meeting-spain-independence

“The European commission must encourage international mediation,” Carles Puigdemont said on Monday. “It cannot look the other way any longer.”

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

From the Left wing Guardian Newspaper. Even they agree the EU needs to condemn the violence from the government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/02/catalan-government-emergency-meeting-spain-independence

“The European commission must encourage international mediation,” Carles Puigdemont said on Monday. “It cannot look the other way any longer.”

Do you know who Puigdemont is, the one you cite as 'the Guardian agrees the EU needs to condemn the violence from the government'?

29 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes of course.  Don't you think the EU should condemn the Spanish government or not?

If that is the case your claim about the link is total and utterly nonsense.

I think the EU should stay out of this. They may utter concern, but condemn a sovereign goverment about an internal affair nothing to do with the EU? no.

Strange you want toe EU to act now, while you're utterly and completely against the EU and its interference.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If that is the case your claim about the link is total and utterly nonsense.

I think the EU should stay out of this. They may utter concern, but condemn a sovereign goverment about an internal affair nothing to do with the EU? no.

Strange you want toe EU to act now, while you're utterly and completely against the EU and its interference.

Yes I am against the EU taking away peoples right to vote and become independent if that's what they want. I supported the Scottish referendum. The EU selectively chooses when it wants to interfere. Condemning the violence is not interfering.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:39 PM, Grouse said:

Catalan is the language, at the risk of being a pedant.

Catalan
ˈkatəlan/
noun
  1. 1
    a native of Catalonia in Spain.
  2. 2
    a Romance language closely related to Castilian Spanish and Provençal, widely spoken in Catalonia (where it has official status alongside Castilian Spanish) and in Andorra, the Balearic Islands, and parts of southern France. It has about 6 million speakers in all.
adjective
  1. 1
    relating to Catalonia, its people, or its language.

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The EU gets involved when it suits them. that's what they are about. When it is negative they stay quiet and those want to leave then they condemn, as the UK know. If it is such a great organization why don't they offer everyone a referendum? probably because there would be on a few countries left.

Nonsense

The desire to leave the EU ranged from 36 percent in Greece down to 11 percent in Poland and Germany,.

It's true that the majority of the citizens would like a referendum but it seems more in the interest of affirming their membership than leaving.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/15/post-brexit-europeans-more-favorable-toward-eu/

In fact, the National Front in France, whose strength Brexiters were citing as proof of the imminent demise of the EU, just fired their chief proponent of leaving the EU. It turns out that this position was very unpopular with their membership.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Nonsense

The desire to leave the EU ranged from 36 percent in Greece down to 11 percent in Poland and Germany,.

It's true that the majority of the citizens would like a referendum but it seems more in the interest of affirming their membership than leaving.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/15/post-brexit-europeans-more-favorable-toward-eu/

In fact, the National Front in France, whose strength Brexiters were citing as proof of the imminent demise of the EU, just fired their chief proponent of leaving the EU. It turns out that this position was very unpopular with their membership.

Not nonsense at all even Juncker does not want more referendums. So Your so confident then give the rest of the EU a referendum.

I will stick by the EU interfere when it suits them, claiming Catalonia has an illegal referendum but not condoning The Spanish government.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/737493/Jean-Claude-Juncker-EU-referendum-voters-choose-Leave-eurosceptism

Jean-Claude Juncker said: “We can't deny or take away the people of Europe's right to express their views. 

“Regarding referenda on EU membership, I think it is not wise to organise this kind of debate, not only because I might be concerned about the final result but because this will pile more controversy onto the huge number already present at the heart of the EU. 

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Nonsense

You have (conveniently for you) left out a lot of other areas

This map shows the European regions fighting to achieve independence

http://uk.businessinsider.com/map-of-european-independence-movements-2017-6

On 10/2/2017 at 9:23 AM, Grouse said:

What utter nonsence. Should be deleted 

If you think my post was nonsense, you will  love this article:giggle:

The future of the EU at stake in Catalonia

A new paradigm has been coined right inside the lofty European Union: 'In the name of democracy, refrain from voting, or else':sad:

Fascist Franco may have been dead for more than four decades, but Spain is still encumbered with his dictatorial corpse. A new paradigm has been coined right inside the lofty European Union, self-described home/patronizing dispenser of human rights to lesser regions across the planet: “In the name of democracy, refrain from voting, or else.” Call it democracy nano-Franco style.

http://www.atimes.com/article/future-eu-stake-catalonia/

14 minutes ago, midas said:

Well one would expect that reaction from you as a supporter of those that fight against democracy.

Denial is not a river in Egypt:giggle:

I know certain areas on that map that are not interested at all in separation.

And please, refrain from your nonsense about me. 

Edited by stevenl

Catalan Street Protests Raise Pressure on Leaders

"Total Stoppage": Barcelona Paralyzed By General Strike, Barricades As Protesters Take To The Streets:clap2:

The Catalan rebellion escalated on Tuesday, resulting in a day of "total stoppage" for the Catalan capital, in which Barcelona metro stations were closed, pickets blocked main roads and civil servants walked out on Tuesday in response to a strike called by pro-independence groups as separatist activists took to the streets of Barcelona to press home their demands for independence after winning an referendum on Sunday which despite a violent crackdown by the Spanish government, saw nearly 90% of the vote cast for splitting away from Madrid.

Public transport and shops were closed as demonstrators gathered in the center of the Catalan capital to protest the police violence that marked Sunday’s vote and reinforce their demands for a split with Spain. Photographs showed traffic backed up behind protesters on one of the main highways connecting Catalonia with the rest of Spain. Roads are blocked in 48 places in the region, the Spanish traffic agency said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-03/catalan-street-protests-raise-pressure-on-leaders-to-push-ahead