Zuckerberg seeks forgiveness for division caused by his work

webfact

Zuckerberg seeks forgiveness for division caused by his work

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg speaks on stage during the Facebook F8 conference in San Francisco, California, U.S. on April 12, 2016. REUTERS/Stephen Lam/File Photo

(Reuters) - Facebook Inc founder and Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg asked for forgiveness for ways his work was used to divide people in a Facebook posting marking the end of Yom Kippur, the Jewish holiday of atonement on Saturday.

"For the ways my work was used to divide people rather than bring us together, I ask forgiveness and I will work to do better," Zuckerberg said in the post.

He did not refer to specific issues in the message, which comes as Facebook and other technology companies are under increased scrutiny amid a U.S. investigation into potential Russian involvement in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election campaign.

Facebook said on Sept. 6 it had found that an operation likely based in Russia spent $100,000 on thousands of U.S. ads promoting divisive social and political messages in a two-year-period through May.

Facebook, the dominant social media network, said 3,000 ads and 470 "inauthentic" accounts and pages spread polarizing views on topics including immigration, race and gay rights.

Facebook has launched an overhaul of how it handles paid political advertisements, after U.S. lawmakers threatened to regulate the world's largest social network over secretive ads that run during election campaigns.

Probes being conducted by several congressional committees along with the Department of Justice, have clouded U.S. President Donald Trump's tenure since he took office in January and have threatened his agenda, which has yet to secure a major legislative victory.

(Reporting by Sinead Carew in New York; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-02

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

What lie did he tell ?

he said after the election that Facebook had no bearing at all on the campaign. 

I, for one, won't forgive Z'berg.  If he was half as smart as me, he would have realized that Russian punks were flooding FB with lies about HRC, and were paying FB under false pretenses, to do so.  If he's an American, he should have had a modicum of concern for decency, and not been a party to the malicious fake stories that flooded his platform/FB.   No forgiveness for you, Zuck.