Chance of good job for mature British lady teacher?

Writing this on behalf of a female family friend.

She is a Primary School teacher, 55 years old, British, BA in History and PGCE/QTS.

Taught infant classes for many years in the UK, including leading Early Years and being Head of Infants, plus older age ranges. Knows curriculum backwards. Has held lots of roles, including SEN coordinator etc.  No TEFL/CELTA type qualification.
She is really an exceptional teacher, incredibly hard-working and dedicated, very organised and well liked by parents and colleagues.

Now wants to do 'something different' for a few years to round-off her career.  She has visited various SE Asian countries and would like to work in an International School.

What are the chances of her getting a job?  If not Thailand then Vietnam, Myanmar ?  

Any info/suggestions gratefully received to be passed on..

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Is it worth her getting some sort of TEFL qualification?  She is still fully employed and kept very busy in the UK, so I suspect a CELTA may be too time-consuming, although I don't doubt she could get through it, if necessary.

No need for a TEFL.  at all. QTS is the golden goose. That in itself is more than sufficient. 

Most international schools do most of their hiring in the country to which they are affiliated. She should do an internet search, and make a list of the British-affiliated schools. Then she should contact them, and see if they have hiring interviews in the UK before the start of the next school year. 

If she wants to come to Thailand and take whatever work she can find until the start of the next international school year, she should have no difficulty finding something. Females are especially valued, as the foreign teaching contingent here is overwhelmingly male. Females are particularly valued for anuban (early years) and lower prathom (lower elememtary school) positions.

She should bring the original of her university degree with her, not just a photocopy.

With those qualifications she should absolutely be looking into international schools. Most are located in Bangkok or around the city. Now is also the perfect time to start looking for international jobs. She could sign up with search associates and go to a teaching fair (e.g. London). 

Plenty of schools in Thailand would hire her and which offer a good package. She probably shouldn't consider schools offering less than 100k/m. Not necessarily because of the money but because of the poor standards that tend to come with less pay. 

On 10/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, starshiptrooper said:

With those qualifications she should absolutely be looking into international schools. Most are located in Bangkok or around the city. Now is also the perfect time to start looking for international jobs. She could sign up with search associates and go to a teaching fair (e.g. London). 

Plenty of schools in Thailand would hire her and which offer a good package. She probably shouldn't consider schools offering less than 100k/m. Not necessarily because of the money but because of the poor standards that tend to come with less pay. 

I was in the same frame of mind....but it turned out that only school with poor standards paying 40K per month wanted me !

Is it worth her getting some sort of TEFL qualification?  She is still fully employed and kept very busy in the UK, so I suspect a CELTA may be too time-consuming, although I don't doubt she could get through it, if necessary.

With her qualifications she won't need to teach EFL, hence no need for something like a CELTA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived