Bangkokians beware! Sidewalk cavity swallows student as blood flows!!

webfact

Bangkokians beware! Sidewalk cavity swallows student as blood flows!!

3am.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Okay...now we have your attention we would like to tell you about a story featured on Thai news site Sanook yesterday.

They reported on a student who put his foot in a six inch by six inch hole in the sidewalk near the Henri Dunang bus stop alongside Chulalongkorn University.

The Facebook page of "Tanapol Boon-Umpol" reported the incident.

Pictures showed a little red stuff just below the knee.

Sanook figured it was worthy of a warning to the general public in the capital.

They cautioned that next time it could be much worse and urged the authorities to come and take a look as a matter of urgency.

Here at Thaivisa we just figured it was a slow news day.

But - as foreigners are always warned - do be careful where you put your feet in Bangkok.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-04

Eyes wide shut! I promise you I was looking.

Different definition of the word looking:
1980 - People were looking and saw if there was a hole in the street
2017 - People are still looking, but unfortunately at somebody´s Facebook profile

Conclusion - Social media is hurting society

3 hours ago, Merylhighground said:

Let's hope the injured kid is a member of a Hi-So/Important family then they might actually start sorting out the pavements....if he's just a pleb nothing will change....

Hi-So’s don’t walk (especially on sidewalks with the commoners), they have servants who walk for them.

Don't worry the powers that be will put a new pavement down next year on a subsiding from day one sand base. It will cost 5000,000 (got to pay for the little ones schooling, don't you know) Then another one in 2019 'cause the little one starts uni in the UK that year, and you all know how pricey UK universities are ..

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I love walking the streets. But not in Bangkok, where instead of looking around you as you walk you need to keep one eye on the ground for obstacles and another for low wires or awnings.

Part of the looking around IS being aware of your environment. Good, bad or indifferent.  Scan and don't fixate for more than 10 seconds. Look as far ahead as feasible.

It is walking along with one head in the clouds that is inadvisable. Want to do that? Stop and look! 

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

geez.  walk around Pattaya.  It is difficult not to step on a broken, or loose tile or paver or one that is hanging on by a thread and any significant weight will drop it down since the underlying sand and foundation is often not there

You think Bangkok is better? 

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Eyes wide shut! I promise you I was looking.

Different definition of the word looking:
1980 - People were looking and saw if there was a hole in the street
2017 - People are still looking, but unfortunately at somebody´s Facebook profile

Conclusion - Social media is hurting society

"Conclusion - Social media is hurting society" No - it is the users of social media that are causing 'problems'.

This webite is  part of social media, the newspaper you read is a part of social media. To use an analogy: motor vehicles don't cause accident, drivers do. :smile:

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Part of the looking around IS being aware of your environment. Good, bad or indifferent.  Scan and don't fixate for more than 10 seconds. Look as far ahead as feasible.

It is walking along with one head in the clouds that is inadvisable. Want to do that? Stop and look! 

It's very difficult to do any of that when looking down at smartphone, and frantically pecking away with both thumbs!

9 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"Conclusion - Social media is hurting society" No - it is the users of social media that are causing 'problems'.

This webite is  part of social media, the newspaper you read is a part of social media. To use an analogy: motor vehicles don't cause accident, drivers do. :smile:

Was just meant as a joke. Thanks for that education anyway. Just been working with SEO, marketing, webdesign and web delelopment for about 20 years.

33 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

It's very difficult to do any of that when looking down at smartphone, and frantically pecking away with both thumbs!

Precisely the problem. They don't do that much in Indonesia as the ones that do disappear down large holes and are never seen again. 

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Was just meant as a joke. Thanks for that education anyway. Just been working with SEO, marketing, webdesign and web delelopment for about 20 years.

No problem  :smile:  My 'error'.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

I have just been for a walk from Thonglo to Silom and could have fallen into 30 different holes or been hit by 100 moto drivers using the pavement, or broke my leg by kicking some derelict piece of street furniture or tree stump As someone who is used to walking the streets of Bangkok I am well aware it is one of the worlds largest danger zones.

No sympathy from me.

1 hour ago, berybert said:

I have just been for a walk from Thonglo to Silom and could have fallen into 30 different holes or been hit by 100 moto drivers using the pavement, or broke my leg by kicking some derelict piece of street furniture or tree stump As someone who is used to walking the streets of Bangkok I am well aware it is one of the worlds largest danger zones.

No sympathy from me.

"... kicking some derelict piece of street furniture or tree stump"  A cute way of describing beggars? :smile:

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Thanks for the advice on how to walk.:smile:

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I love walking the streets. But not in Bangkok, where instead of looking around you as you walk you need to keep one eye on the ground for obstacles and another for low wires or awnings.

Just face it! It ain´t that hard, huh! Is it?

Mukdahanians should also beware.

I had a similar experience there in 2010, which left me with a 100mm/4" scar on my left shin as a memento

I was there again in February this year and, unsurprisingly...........so was the hole.

Edited by Enoon