PM Prayut strikes deals on US trip

webfact

PM strikes deals on US trip

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

4f285b181fd49be5989a33a800aaee03-sld.jpg

President brings up massive trade imbalance with Thailand.

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday visited US President Donald Trump at the White House, marking revitalised relations between Thailand and the US and the announcement of several new deals. 

While Thailand has focused on a Boeing investment to boost the Eastern Economic Corridor, the US looks forward to Thai investments in the gas and coal sectors, the opening of its domestic pork market and military purchases.

Prayut is leading a Thai delegation including Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak and top-level economic officials in a three-day visit to the US to meet with Trump, other senior US officials and the business community.

e304919caef705c33ac6007695a669c1.jpg

The two leaders and their spouses met at the Oval Office at noon on Monday (1am yesterday Thailand time). While both leaders underlined cooperation in regional security, trade and investment, Trump made clear that the US was looking to improve its trade deficit with Thailand.

“It’s [Thailand’s] a great country to trade with. They make products and different things that are really very important to us, and we likewise sell to you,” Trump was quoted as saying.

“I think we’re going to try and sell a little bit more to you now, make that a little bit better, if that’s possible,” the president said.

Thailand ranks 11th among 16 countries on a watch list held by the Trump administration due to its significant trade surplus relative to the US. In the first half of 2017, the US trade balance with Thailand was negative US$11.45 billion (Bt382.7 billion), according to the US Census Bureau.

2c719bac9e7ccc16e9328287c4c40120.jpg

While trade rebalancing is part of Trump’s much-vaunted America First policy, the Kingdom is certain that its “Thailand 4.0” policy is in line with the US policy.

“Both of the policies target people of lower income and aim for the better wellbeing of people,” said Deputy Spokesperson Lt-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak.

Prayut encouraged the US to be more open to Thai agricultural goods and facilitate Thai investors, whose $5.6 billion investment should help create more than 8,000 jobs in the US, Werachon said.

e0475cb1667a383a91a0b03e8580de60.jpg

Prayut and Trump also witnessed the signing of an agreement between Thailand’s PTTGC America LLC and JobsOhio on the development of areas in Belmont County, where Thai-owned petrochemical factories are located.

Meanwhile, on regional issues, Prayut assured Trump that Thailand would support efforts for North Korea to engage in dialogue as well as follow UN Security Council resolutions.

The US has sought likeminded partners in East and Southeast Asian regions to cope with rising tensions in the Korean peninsula. In July, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s visit to Bangkok was reported by AFP as the US pressuring Thailand to ban state-run North Korean restaurants in the Kingdom as well as lessen diplomatic ties with North Korea.

On the escalating crisis in Rakhine state in Myanmar, Prayut said: “Thailand and the US will cooperate for humanitarian assistance.”

While giving financial assistance to alleviate the conflict, Thailand, like many Asean countries, regards the Rohingya conflict as Myanmar’s domestic issue. Prayut’s administration also recognises the Muslim minority as “Bengali”, a term used by the Myanmar government that infers that Rohingya are not citizens of that country.

In Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said Thailand had plans to purchase helicopters from the US in deals that had been derailed by the 2014 coup.

But Prawit added that Prayut had not talked about military hardware purchases.

Regarding the development of democracy in Thailand, Prayut assured Trump that the election date would be announced next year, adding that a general election should be held 150 days after the announcement as stipulated by the current charter.

Prayut said he raised the issue of the election on his own without prompting by Trump.

09b1253b50eaaa610e2e6263a4afbfb6.jpg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30328384

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-04

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding the development of democracy in Thailand, Prayut assured Trump that the election date would be announced next year, adding that a general election should be held 150 days after the announcement as stipulated by the current charter.

Prayut said he raised the issue of the election on his own without prompting by Trump.

How will they get around this ? Change the current charter to suit one self or just another Gunna Do Election !

Thailand puts huge import taxes on many products coming from the United States.American products should already be expensive and transportation cost.

Why  does a calculator sell for $100 in America and $300 in Thailand? Tennis shoes are at least twice as expensive in Thailand than America. Same for Guess and Calvin Klein jeans. Aren’t they already expensive?

Trump May be saying that Thailand needs to reduce huge import taxes on American products or the United States will implement identical policies on Thai products.

it will help Thailand by not putting import taxes on Thai products to correct trade imbalance. I think Trump will try to do same for China.

Other countries will complain a lot if we have equal trade policies about import tax with them

I'm trying to understand the pork market deal.  Thailand has a thriving pork market, and the meat is reasonably priced.  Open it up to US producers, they dump cheap pork on the Thai market, drive the Thais out of business, and then raise the prices.  They should be concentrating on the tariff and duties imposed on US good coming into the Thai market.  When I'm buying consumer products that have a 2 to 3x markup due to tariffs, that's something that needs to be addressed.  

Brianp0803 post above nails it.  The tariffs and duties should be quid pro quo.  Either Thai drops tariffs or the US implements identical tariffs.  But instead - pork?  It's already a saturated market.  <head shake>

I'm also looking at these deals and I don't see how they benefit that average citizens in either country.  Just corporate and government interests, like usual. 

Edited by connda

All the things Thailand are buying and selling are commodities.   Buying coal is something they buy anyway, they give more to the Donald to boast about and the Thai government gets to keep their ridiculously high tariffs.   Pork may be where Thailand gives up something. 

TRUMP : America's great, isn't it?  It's Yuge.  And how about where you come from?  I hear it's only about the size of Texas.  But you've got some great golf courses over there, don't you?  That's what people are saying.  People are always saying that.  Maybe you'd like to see ours while you're here?  They're bigger.  Trust me.  They're huge.  Believe me.  And that Tiger Woods.  I hear he's half Thai, isn't he?  Maybe you'd like to meet him?  I have him on twitter.  He's a follower of mine. I'm pretty sure he voted for me, too.  That's what people are saying.  You should also have a look at our Constitution while you're here. It was rigged it a long time ago so that you don't even need to get the most votes to win.  Yeah, it's true.  It's great. No more worrying about those red shirts in the north.  And it's all legal over here too. Believe me. 

Yes, the goal was to reduce the trade deficit. But I don’t think dumping cheap pork on the Thai market is the answer. Thai sell the cheap rice already to save a few baht.

Instead of telling Thailand to buy more of certain products, just reduce excessive import tariffs. People buying American products are less likely to be poor people.

Don’t force products on Thailand but also don’t make it excessively expensive either. 

" and military purchases.",OK can do ,but we prefer Chinese crap,

do you have any cheap Submarine recovery vessels,as we are

awaiting delivery of 3 Yellow Subs,and want to be prepared .

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

Thailand puts huge import taxes on many products coming from the United States.American products should already be expensive and transportation cost.

Why  does a calculator sell for $100 in America and $300 in Thailand? Tennis shoes are at least twice as expensive in Thailand than America. Same for Guess and Calvin Klein jeans. Aren’t they already expensive?

Trump May be saying that Thailand needs to reduce huge import taxes on American products or the United States will implement identical policies on Thai products.

it will help Thailand by not putting import taxes on Thai products to correct trade imbalance. I think Trump will try to do same for China.

Other countries will complain a lot if we have equal trade policies about import tax with them

You forgot to mention the same item for double the price or more with less than half the warranty or no warranty.

27 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

All the things Thailand are buying and selling are commodities.   Buying coal is something they buy anyway, they give more to the Donald to boast about and the Thai government gets to keep their ridiculously high tariffs.   Pork may be where Thailand gives up something. 

Apart from military purchases of course! No surprise there!

Missed opportunity! I was hoping that the Thai delegation would take a trip to the coast and see what clean beaches look like. And a side trip to a recycling and garbage collection and disposal facility.

Thailand could have imported this technology from USA and in the long run, boost their treasured tourism industry (oh, excuse me, according to TAT, it is already bursting at the seams). Dealing with the garbage issue in Thailand using purchased American know how could easily have balanced the trade surplus of 11.5 billion dollars.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I'm trying to understand the pork market deal.  Thailand has a thriving pork market, and the meat is reasonably priced.  Open it up to US producers, they dump cheap pork on the Thai market, drive the Thais out of business, and then raise the prices.  They should be concentrating on the tariff and duties imposed on US good coming into the Thai market.  When I'm buying consumer products that have a 2 to 3x markup due to tariffs, that's something that needs to be addressed.  

Brianp0803 post above nails it.  The tariffs and duties should be quid pro quo.  Either Thai drops tariffs or the US implements identical tariffs.  But instead - pork?  It's already a saturated market.  <head shake>

I'm also looking at these deals and I don't see how they benefit that average citizens in either country.  Just corporate and government interests, like usual. 

Only parts of the pig that are not consumed in the US will be exported

to Thailand. Much ado about nothing as far as I am concerned. That said

I agree the Americans should focus on getting Thailand to drop tariffs on

American goods to even out the trade imbalance.

4 hours ago, tracker1 said:

How will they get around this ? Change the current charter to suit one self or just another Gunna Do Election !

Probably Trump forgot (or never knew???) that Prayut hadn't been democratically elected to his post.