Japanese yen heist - three arrested, car found, police have money

webfact

Japanese yen heist - three arrested, car found, police have money

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai media reported that a pick-up belonging to the gold and jewelry trader robbed earlier in the week had been found in Huay Kwang.

Thai Rath said that three suspects were now in custody.

All 196 million Yen had been recovered according to reports.

Earlier national police chief Jakthip Chaijinda said that the orange Ford Ranger belonging to Patarit Taerattanachai had been located near the Phang Muang intersection.

Forensics had been gathering DNA and fingerprint evidence.

A condo key card belonging to Patarit was found inside.

The pick-up had been parked there since the robbery and an effort had been made to conceal it.

Earlier police had stated confidently that they believed it was an inside job.

A press conference in the 60 million baht robbery is expected today.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-05

Why oh why would anyone carry 60 million baht in case over

international borders? stupidity, naivety or just plan dumb...

and to the robbers,, you have executed a good heist,  now

try very hard to conceal your tracks and make sure you're

not caught at your relative's house... too hard ey?....

i thought the thieves would be home dry and the police had no chance. i made one error in that evaluation. the thieves had cash, lots of it. funny how the police here turn up the goods when large amounts of cash are involved, sometimes i actually think if they were paid properly they might make a half decent force. nah 555

Edited by Happy enough
avoid grammar police

Police arrest two suspects, recover stolen 197.96m yen

By The Nation

f581fbb6baf9df6ac54709e8cc717072.jpg

Police arrested two men and recovered from them 197.96 million yen in cash robbed from a diamond merchant’s employees at a Bangkok condominium parking lot.

One of the two suspects was identified as Narongchai Sawasdiphol a police source said.

He and the other man were arrested at a house in Bangkok at 10.30pm on Wednesday night.

Police found the cash in the same carry-on luggage robbed from employees of gold and jewellery exporter Pattharit Taerattanachai, 34, from the Ratchada Pavilion condominium parking lot at 11.15pm on Monday.

The two suspects were taken for interrogation to Phaholyothin Police Station.

At 9pm on Wednesday, police found the stolen pickup that was parked near the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand head office in Bangkok’s Huai Khwang district.

Police Commissioner Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said late on Wednesday night that police were now aware of the identities of the five robbers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328511

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-05

Update: Five of seven suspects arrested in 197-million-yen heist

By The Nation

1cafed7ecb32da07a069f24b1fa5fda7-sld.jpg

Police check the stolen pickup truck Wednesday night.

Police have arrested five suspects in Monday’s theft of 197.96 million yen from a Bangkok jewellery exporter. Two more suspects are being sought.

Pol Maj Gen Sompong Chingduang, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said formal arrest warrants had been obtained for all seven suspects.

Narongchai Sawasdiphol, who the exporter employed to carry the cash from Japan, was the first to be caught on Wednesday night.

Police allege that Narongchai planned the robbery with his brother-in-law, who was arrested along with him at their Bangkok house.

Most of the other suspects also worked for the exporter.

Police found all of the stolen cash still in the same carry-on luggage snatched from employees of gold and jewellery exporter Pattharit Taerattanachai, 34, in the Ratchada Pavilion condominium parking lot at 11.15pm on Monday.

The money is equivalent to Bt58.6 million.

Police on Wednesday night also retrieved a pickup truck stolen during the robbery. It was abandoned at an intersection near the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand head office in Bangkok’s Huay Kwang district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328526

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-05

There are nothing else to say than this was a real professional piece of police work where as well ALL the belongings have been recovered in a very short time - Keep up the good work! :clap2:

Its a very rare situation to recover ALL the money after so many days. Makes it seem like an insurance scam.  If I had that amount of money I would have spread it around very quick so some of it would never get found.

Why oh why would anyone carry 60 million baht in case over
international borders? stupidity, naivety or just plan dumb...
and to the robbers,, you have executed a good heist,  now
try very hard to conceal your tracks and make sure you're
not caught at your relative's house... too hard ey?....
Trading currencies?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

How on earth the Japanese allow such huge sum in YEN/ Cash  leave the country? Impossible! !! I love to know what the Japanese custom and ministry of Finance have to say !!!

They would have nothing to say as long as it was declared to Customs when leaving the country, there are no restrictions when exporting cash to Thailand.

100% for sure money case had GPS tracking device. Not much bigger that a 5 baht coin.   But also they go to their house with the money?  This is a data point showing  Thai are bold but not to smart. 

So did they draw straws to see who would give and who would take the hit to the head?  

TIT.   

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Its a very rare situation to recover ALL the money after so many days. Makes it seem like an insurance scam.  If I had that amount of money I would have spread it around very quick so some of it would never get found.

I would assume that the owners had taken the time to record all the serial numbers and I would have put labels and stickers all over the pile of money warning people that had been done and that if they try to use them, there would be more of a possible paper trail back to them.

33 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I would assume that the owners had taken the time to record all the serial numbers and I would have put labels and stickers all over the pile of money warning people that had been done and that if they try to use them, there would be more of a possible paper trail back to them.

Jason Bourne posts here?

53 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Of course this assumes that the original owners wanted the money to be found or traced and were not in on the scheme.  But anyway, declaring all that money properly and legally while a nice idea, just lets the word out that there is a large chunk of cash coming in.  Who knows how many officials, people that over hear things, people that eavesdrop on official web sites, etc.  get wind of such things.

Employer’s staff held in 200m-yen heist

By The Nation

b4facca70ceebf2da4cd419666bbc3af-sld.jpg

FIVE SUSPECTS, INCLUDING COURIER, ARE ARRESTED WITHIN TWO DAYS OF THEFT; CASH RECOVERED; TWO SUSPECTS AT LARGE

POLICE HAVE arrested five suspects over the robbery of 197.96 million yen (Bt60 million) from employees of a Bangkok jewellery exporter and recovered all of the stolen cash. 

The arrested suspects include the exporter’s employee who had transported the cash from Japan to Thailand earlier the same night.

Two more suspects are being sought. 

The suspects reportedly confessed to carrying out the theft, in part due to personal debt issues, and had met more than 10 times in the past month to plot the robbery, Police Commissioner Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda told a press conference yesterday. 

Suspects Narongchai Sawasdiphol, 32, Chawalit Cha-roenpol, 31, Surasak Srithawong, 35, Pongsak Pitasiripan, 31, and Krissada Atthawet, 30, face multiple charges, including armed robbery, assault, possession of guns and ammunitions, transporting guns and ammunition, and possession of stolen property. 

A re-enactment of the crime is scheduled for today, said Chakthip, who praised officers for speedily arresting the suspects in just two days after he had told them to wrap up the investigation within a week.

City police deputy chief Pol Maj-General Sompong Chingduang, who led the investigation, said formal arrest warrants had been obtained for all seven suspects. 

Narongchai, who had been employed by the gold and jewellery exporter Pattharit Taerattanachai to carry the money from Japan, was the first to be arrested on Wednesday night. 

Two other suspects also worked for Pattharit, while Chawalit and Surasak were former employees.

Police alleged that Narongchai planned the robbery with his brother-in-law Natthapong Thanyatoon, 33, who remains at large. 

Another suspect still at large is Natthapong’s friend and the alleged getaway driver, Sarayuth Ritchainuwat, 31. Sarayuth also allegedly rented a room on September 1 at the condominium where the heist took place.

During Narongchai’s arrest, police found all of the stolen cash still in the same carry-on luggage snatched from Pattharit’s two employees in the Ratchada Pavilion condominium’s parking lot at 11.15pm on Monday. Police on Wednesday night also retrieved a brand-new pickup truck stolen during the robbery, which was found abandoned at an intersection near the head office of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand in Bangkok’s Huay Kwang district.

After the press conference, Pattharit brought flowers to thank police for their speedy arrest of suspects and retrieval of all the stolen cash and the truck.

Meanwhile, Customs Department chief Kulis Sombatsiri said the 197.96 million yen that Narongchai had carried in luggage from Japan through the Suvarnabhumi Airport had been properly declared upon his arrival on Monday.

The officials’ examination of the past year’s records regarding cash brought in by Pattharit’s group also found that it had been properly declared.

Kulis said people carrying more than US$15,000 (Bt500,112) in cash either in to or out of Thailand must declare it to Customs officials or be fined up to Bt20,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30328572

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-06

15 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

How on earth the Japanese allow such huge sum in YEN/ Cash  leave the country? Impossible! !! I love to know what the Japanese custom and ministry of Finance have to say !!!

Indeed! Japan has strict laws regarding removal of currency, as do most countries. There's almost certainly something else going down here, especially for the police to act so quickly!

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The pick-up had been parked there since the robbery and an effort had been made to conceal it

This is why I won't do a big heist. The heist is the easy part. Getting the info, organising where to be, putting together a crew, executing a flawless job and getting away with the loot. The reason I won't do it is because how do you conceal a getaway car? 

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

This is why I won't do a big heist. The heist is the easy part. Getting the info, organising where to be, putting together a crew, executing a flawless job and getting away with the loot. The reason I won't do it is because how do you conceal a getaway car? 

as opposed to not doing it because your not a thieving c***?